Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook Server  (Read 4451 times)

nijad

Microsoft Outlook Server
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:01:19 am »
Recently, both my Hotmail and Outlook email accounts seem to be continuously checking for mail. Many times a red time stamp is shown which indicates failure to sync.
I have tried changing sync from no of messages to no of days, as Kostya suggested a while back, but it made no visible difference. I just can't trust my Hotmail and outlook accounts to receive push emails.
Other push emails working fine.. Like Gmail and GMX.
Thank you.

KieSeyHow

Re: Microsoft Outlook Server
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:26:17 am »
Recently, both my Hotmail and Outlook email accounts seem to be continuously checking for mail. Many times a red time stamp is shown which indicates failure to sync.
I have tried changing sync from no of messages to no of days, as Kostya suggested a while back, but it made no visible difference. I just can't trust my Hotmail and outlook accounts to receive push emails.
Other push emails working fine.. Like Gmail and GMX.
Thank you.
Sometimes it is just their servers.  Always give it a day when dealing with "free" mail services.  They may have changed something.  Also, you should have moved to outlook.com years ago.  any hotmail address should ONLY be used as an alias within outlook.com.   Another thought, is if you use two-factor authentication on your Microsoft account, or outlook.com.  You may have to (depending on your country) generate an "app password" for aquaMail.    I had to do that for Thunderbird after several days of syncing errors.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

nijad

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 04:10:07 pm »
Since your reply I have forwarded my Hotmail to my outlook.com (existing Hotmail cannot be made into alias, will try connecting both) and deleted Hotmail account from Aquamail. Mail checking now seems to have got more regular with only one Microsoft sever to deal with. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:56:00 pm by nijad »

KieSeyHow

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:25:53 am »
The hotmail system was deprecated YEARS ago!  Everyone should have moved to Outlook.com at least four years ago, then set up their hotmail as an alias, which is what I did.  Also, un-select your aliases from being able to sign-in to your accounts.  Also, secure other aliases so that people cannot pretend to be you, think of it as domain parking, but for email addresses.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

nijad

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:00:50 am »
Am still having issues. Won't allow me to add existing Hotmail as alias to outlook. Am not sure what migration is but when I sign in to Hotmail it is in outlook format.
Here I am talking about two separate email accounts @outlook.com and @hotmail.com.  I tried all sorts of options to link both. Just doesn't work properly. It's not an Aquamail issue, it's a Microsoft one.
I have gone back to my Hotmail as a separate account. Will just have to wait I guess. I have seen posts on Google as late as February 2017 with similar issues.
One more thing. If I try to delete my Outlook account it tells me I will lose my Hotmail and Skype and.. !!  What are they talking about ?  How are they connected !! 
This issue should be on a different forum. Aquamail is just great. It's Microsoft that have to get their act straight. Everything is some sort of Outlook. Outlook Mail, Outlook.com, Microsoft Outlook..! Can't they find another name  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:41:42 am by nijad »

KieSeyHow

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 02:20:10 pm »
Do you sign-in with the hotmail address you are trying to add?  If so, it is already an alias.

Here is another thought, Is your Microsoft account using that old hotmail address?  Remember a lot of things are tied together these days.

You need to create an outlook.com account, then make that your DEFAULT account for Microsoft.  I think this may be a case of, "you cannot lift something you are standing on."   Also, Oauth2 (if you want to use that) will not work in AquaMail unless your default Microsoft accounts is an outlook.com account.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:33:11 pm by KieSeyHow »

StR

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 04:31:11 pm »
I have gone back to my Hotmail as a separate account. Will just have to wait I guess. I have seen posts on Google as late as February 2017 with similar issues.
You should be able to migrate that hotmail account to Outlook servers, and as far as I understand, the messages will be migrated. There is a procedure for that within Hotmail.com .
Look it up/google it.

One more thing. If I try to delete my Outlook account it tells me I will lose my Hotmail and Skype and.. !!  What are they talking about ?  How are they connected !! 
Similarly to how it is done by Google with a single account all different services (Gmail, Youtube, Voice, ... ), Microsoft has introduced "Microsoft account", where presumably, from a single account you can access different MS-owned services, including Skype, Windows Store, and, apparently, Hotmail (I didn't know that last part, - but I am not using Hotmail myself).

So, if you are deleting an account, MS warns you that if you were using the same account for other functions, it will delete your access to those, not just to mail in Hotmail.com .
If you were using Skype with a separate Skype account, you'll have no effect on that.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 08:27:53 pm »

Hotmail / Outlook right now is seriously screwed up.

Their servers are running _extremely_ slow (it took me three attempts to check mail in my account, and it only has a few dozen messages).

And second, downloading attachments often fails with a network error.

This one happened before, about a year ago, and right now it's broken exactly same way as then. On their side. Server issue.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:57:00 pm by Kostya Vasilyev, Aqua Mail »
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

nijad

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 11:02:01 am »
Well, am glad Kostya put the record straight. Outlook / Hotmail server sucks. And thanks to you guys who took the time to reply in detail to my queries. Bottom line is this:
I've tried everything you mention. My outlook account is one I created. I connected Outlook and Hotmail and it transferred all mail and folders, but sending from Hotmail on Aquamail did not work. Adding Hotmail as alias not allowed. See attached from outlook aliases help page.
Am trying to reduce no of email accounts not add to it. I wanted outlook to replace Hotmail. It didn't work.
I got the guts finally and deleted my outlook account. I don't need a Microsoft account. Hotmail still working fine. Just have to wait 2 months for final outlook closing.
Thanks to all.
Note: if you need an extra push email service and since Yahoo does not offer it, in addition to Gmail, GMX or mail.com are very good and they offer collection option but that's a story for another day. Lol.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:19:13 am by nijad »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »
Yeah, Outlook.com is strange with aliases.

Before the "server upgrades" which they were doing over all of 2016 (maybe finished by now???) - you could add aliases, but had to choose *one* in their web mail. Any "From" header set by a mail app (any mail app) would get rewritten by their servers when sending.

Now it seems that this rewriting has stopped - but since they also support @hotmail as aliases for @outlook (or not aliases, maybe "reserved email addresses" so people can upgrade?), this adds an additional complexity factor.

But yes, their IMAP implementation is not really that great to begin with, passable but not great (they do support IMAP IDLE though) - but right now they've got big problems.

---

Speaking of other email services - one my personal favorites is fastmail.com.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/