Author Topic: Reply all - how to remove yourself  (Read 7616 times)

macara

Reply all - how to remove yourself
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:44:39 am »
Hi all!

Just starting with AquaMail, so pardon me if I overlooked the obvious, but I looked through all settings and searched form also. I cannot find how to remove yourself from recipient list when using "reply all" function. I am really not used to receive my replies, I always go to "sent" folder if I need to read it.

Thanks!

macara

Re: Reply all - how to remove yourself
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:42:55 pm »
Clarification: this seem to happen only on EWS account. This particular one is on Office365. My Gmail account behaves normally. 
Sorry, cannot post corporate email screenshots on public forum.

StR

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »
Could you please take a careful look at your (1) incoming message and (2) your reply (before you send it):
In the incoming message, does your own e-mail appears exactly as in your setting for that account in Aquamail? If it is even slightly different, Aquamail has no way of knowing that it is the same and would keep that address in the list of addresses of the recipients of your reply.
Does your own e-mail address (in any form) appears in your reply before your send it? Please look carefully (you'll probably need to scroll to see the entire list)? If yes, - does it look the same as the address set in Aquamail account?

For your EWS account in Aquamail, - please check if it has "Bcc to myself" check-marked, as described by Paris Geek.

macara

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
SiR,

Thank you for reply. BCC copy is off.
ID I used to setup EWS is "loginID"at"company.com". When I receive email, it's in the form of "firstname.lastname"at"company.com".  There are lots of aliases setup on my EWS.
I know that Outook for Android discovers them automatically.

My experience with Android is limited when it comes to corporate emailing. I used iPhone before and desktop Outlook clients. None had this behavior.

StR

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:32:20 pm »
ID I used to setup EWS is "loginID"at"company.com". When I receive email, it's in the form of "firstname.lastname"at"company.com".  There are lots of aliases setup on my EWS.
I know that Outook for Android discovers them automatically.
That's the culprit.

Unfortunately, there are some limitations of Aquamail working with Exchange aliases. I don't have personal expertise with Exchange, but just last week, there was a thread where Kostya was discussing problems with alias handling in Exchange (you can look it up).

There are two aspects of those limitations that I can see:
1. Alias autodiscovery. I suspect that Aquamail does not do that. (AFAIK, not all Exchange e-mail clients can do that.)
Without that Aquamail has no way of knowing that "firstname.lastname"  belongs to you, whose e-mail address is "loginID". I.e. it cannot discern your "firstname.lastname@company.com" from "YourColleagueFristname.LastName@company.com"? And, it cannot read your mind either. :-)

As for Outlook, - it sounds it can do alias discovery.

2. For IMAP accounts (in Aquamail Pro) you can set aliases. Then Aquamail would be aware of those and will exclude them from "Reply All". Unfortunately at this point, as I read in the aforementioned thread, there is now such capability for Exchange accounts in Aquamail.

My experience with Android is limited when it comes to corporate emailing. I used iPhone before and desktop Outlook clients. None had this behavior.

If I am correct, at this point, this is a difference in Aquamail's behavior with respect to aliases in Exchange. You might need to adjust your workflow to that.
One obvious possibility is just get used to seeing /ignore the copies of your own messages.
There might be some workarounds, but I don't work with Exchange myself.
(Possible workaround: automatically filter out the messages from yourself to a separate folder)

Kostya might correct me on the details here, and will probably suggest some additional ideas. And some other Exchange users might chime in.

macara

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:42:10 pm »
Thanks, StR. It makes sense. I do use Pro version, and truly hope that functionality to either discover aliases or manually add them would be available in the near future.

It's normal practice to use your login@company.com name to authenticate with Outlook365 and it's also normal that default email address in corporate address book is firstname.lastname@company.com

However, now that issue is clear to me, I have found a workaround. I change changed my email to firstname.lastname@company.com and kept login info as userid@company.

This resolved reply all issue.

Thank you all!

StR

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »
However, now that issue is clear to me, I have found a workaround. I change changed my email to firstname.lastname@company.com and kept login info as userid@company.

This resolved reply all issue.

Thank you all!

Yep, that should do it. (I forgot to offer that solution, thinking that you have reasons to keep it your "From:" address as "userid@company".)

I am glad your issue is resolved.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:36:07 am »
For the app to exclude "you" when replying -- it has to recognize who this "you" is.

In other words, the address -- "your" address -- that a message was sent to, has to match the "account's email" setting in AquaMail.

Even if you know that "foo@bar.com" is "you" (in account setup) and "baz@bar.com" is also you (how other people address messages to you), the app won't be able to make the connection.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

chumley

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 07:34:16 am »
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I have the same problem. I have an Office365 account where the login is username@company.com, but the email address is firstname.lastname@company.com. This still causes the same problem mentioned earlier, i.e. reply all causes a copy to be sent to me at firstname.lastname@company.com.

The workaround suggested earlier was to use firstname.lastname@company.com as the email, and username@company.com as the login. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do this. In the account settings, the email is set to username@company.com, and it is not editable. This email address seems to get set automatically when I sign in to the account using OAUTH2. I tried creating a new account, and it did the same thing, where email is automatically set to username and can't be edited later.

It also looks like there is still no option to manually add aliases for an Exchange/Office365 account.

So, I'm at a loss. Any other ideas?

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 09:12:08 am »
The workaround only works if your company allows you to login as firstname.lastname@company.com as well as username@company.com. You can't edit the email address after you login.

chumley

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 06:33:33 am »
Thanks for your reply Martin. Unfortunately I am not able to login using firstname.lastname@company.com.

Is there any other workaround, or is any solution in the works? As mentioned by the earlier poster, it's pretty common for exchange/Office365 accounts to have a username that is different than the email address.

Ploki

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 03:26:01 am »
For gmail account I can add alias. Why i can't add alias also for Office365?
It is very frustraiting to replay work email on phone because you ALWAYS need to remove you own address from recipient.

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 10:50:03 am »
For gmail account I can add alias. Why i can't add alias also for Office365?
It is very frustraiting to replay work email on phone because you ALWAYS need to remove you own address from recipient.

Hello,

Adding an alias to work accounts it's still not possible in Aqua Mail.