Author Topic: IMAP messages not deleted but marked as read (used to work)  (Read 20451 times)

XabiX

IMAP messages not deleted but marked as read (used to work)
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:24:00 pm »
Hello,

I am not sure why but since quite some time my messages deleted in AquaMail Pro dissapear locally but not on the server.
I read the FAQ and tried to play with "EXPUNGE when deleting" but no difference.

The logs concern the email called "Oracle PartnerNetwork and email" from email2 (my yahoo account) which I deleted on my tablet and still appear on my yahoo account as read.

Any idea of the issue?. I read some post proposing to reinstall but not fan of such workarounds.

Merci
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:37:54 pm by XabiX »

XabiX

Re: IMAP messages not deleted but marked as read (used to work)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:39:31 pm »
Sill on email 2, I have done a log to show the difference between email called test1 which was deleted with EXPUNGE option and email called test2 which was deleted without EXPUNGE.
Both were still listed in my yahoo mail GUI as read.

MERCI

XabiX

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:23 pm »
Bonjour Paris!

Currently I have: Account options -> Deleting messages set to Move to Deleted folder first.
(maybe should I try Delete from the server immediately as workaround but would be better to have in the trash)

I also have "Remove deleted messages" ticked

In "Account Options" -> "Folder", I have added folder "Trash" from "Do not sync" to "Sync with Deleted folder"

I did the test again and it now WORKS !

Merci (I have removed the EXPUNGE options too as I didn't see any need to keep it)

XabiX

XabiX

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »
Last question!

It solved the issue of my yahoo account as there was a Trash folder. But on my corporate account, I don't see any Trash or Deleted folder. There is one called unwanted but not sure this would be good to sync.

How can i fix the deleted emails from my tablet then still being as read on the server? Should I just create a folder called Trash and "Sync with Deleted folder"?

Merci

XabiX

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 01:38:49 pm »
Messages go to "Deleted Items" but this folder doesn't show in the Folder ones in AquaMail while all the others do. I deleted the unwanted one from outlook thus it disappeared in AquaMail too.

See requested pict

XabiX

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 01:55:42 pm »
Actually this Outlook "Deleted Items" folder shows a location to my workspace starting with // and I can see it sync with my Zimbra webmail access with Trash name so on the server there is a Trash folder. That sounds strange as it's not listed in AquaMail some how.

Any idea? (I could not renamed the outlook folder to show the same names)

XabiX

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 03:00:11 pm »
I tried many things and read some articles. It seems that there are issues with Outlook 2013 and 2016 together with the Deleted Items vs IMAP Trash sync. (It s working OK with Inbox, sent etc..; but seems that Trash appears differently in Outlook than just Trash)

Outlook is correctly sync between "Deleted Items" and Zimbra Trash (IMAP) folder. so when I delete one on one side it dissappears on the other one and vice versa but Trash folder doesn't appear in AquaMail. So I tried:

1/ To create a "Deleted Items" folder in Zimbra but appeared as "Deleted Items1" folder in Outlook so like a new folder. (so "Deleted Items1" would be link to "Deleted Items" in Zimbra but no interest)

2/ then I tried to create a Trash folder in outlook but this one didn't do anything on the Zimbra side but obviously appeared in AquaMail as a new folder (like any new folder being created unless that Trash exists already in Zimbra right). Then by curiosity, I synced this new Trash folder in AquaMail with Deleted folder.
I did then a new test, and the email deleted from AquaMail is moved to [Deleted] folder in AquaMail, this email dissappears from Zimbra but I don't know where it goes and then appears strike-through (barré) in outlook.

(will add a few picts after lunch)

Maybe the solution is to set a rule in Outlook that moves the strikethrough email directly to Deleted Items too.

XabiX

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »
yes this was the article I read but unfortunately either Zimbra and/or my administrators don't provide this capability.

Is there any reason why the Trash IMAP server (shown in Zimbra) is not listed in AquaMail? that would solve the all issue as I would be able to sync it with the Deleted AquaMail folder!

See a few screenshots to illustrate what I see

XabiX

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:25:18 pm »
not much I go up and down :). I added the top scree for you to see. There is like a black refresh halo coming but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Again if I had a new folder in outlook it does appear in this list so this seems working good. What I don't understand is why the Trash folder in IMAP is not retrieved.

Will that help if I get a debug file?

As I have limited options on the IMAP server side, I reside on the client to find a solution.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 10:05:28 pm »
I think it's an issue with IMAP NAMESPACE (a server config issue, really).

Please try this:

- Long press the account -> account setup -> Manual
- On the incoming server settings screen, unselect "Folder prefix: automatic" and make sure there is nothing in the edit control below
- Press Next twice to try to validate and save
- The app should take you to Folders screen, if not, you already know how to get there (to Folders), you should see some changes

PS - just in case, I'd use Menu -> Backup & Restore first, to make a backup of your account and folder settings.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

StR

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:14 pm »
yes this was the article I read but unfortunately either Zimbra and/or my administrators don't provide this capability.

Is there any reason why the Trash IMAP server (shown in Zimbra) is not listed in AquaMail? that would solve the all issue as I would be able to sync it with the Deleted AquaMail folder!

See a few screenshots to illustrate what I see

Let me try to help you understanding how things work.
You have the Server that keep all mail and everything else (Zimbra, Outlook, Aquamail) communicate with the server, and sync the folders and messages with the server. Each of them have their own mapping.
And for the proper functionality, what matters is which folder is internally considered as "Trash/Deleted.." by the server, not the names per se. (So, creating new folders with those names would not do any good.)

Now, let me list together the facts from your postings.
1. Outlook is connected via IMAP to the server.
2. Outlook seems to sync the "Deleted Items" folder to the internal "Deleted/Trash" folder, because we see it showing up in "Trash" folder in Zimbra (which is configured by your sysadmins, and we hope that was done properly).

If all of this is correct, that suggests that the IMAP server does offer the "deleted/trash" folder via IMAP. Then it is a surprise that Aquamail sees all other server side folders, but not this one.

So, there are the following possibilities that could answer this contradiction:
1. Aquamail has a bug showing a folder. 
    (This is unlikely, because that part has been tested many times on many servers.)
2. The server has a bug that causes it not showing that folder exclusively to Aquamail.
    (This is possible, but not very likely either.)
3. You are not recognizing that folder in the long list of server-side folders (e.g. because it is named something else: "Deleted", "supprimé", or ...). 
    (This is not totally impossible, but unlikely at thist point...)
4. One of the connections (Outlook's or Aquamail's) is not set as IMAP, but rather as EWS (in Aquamail) or Activesync (in Outlook).

If that's the case, it would mean that the server is not showing that folder via one of those two connections (possibly due to the server-side configuration or some weirdness..)
This is quite possible. So, - I suggest that you double check how your connection is set in both Outlook and Aquamail.
And then, maybe you can tell where "Deleted Items" is pointing in your Outlook settings? You wrote it starts with "//"  what's after that?
The name that comes after that may give some clues as for what is the actual name for that "deleted/trash" folder on the Server.

Besides this, you can save a debug log and send it to the developer, Kostya (see information at the signature below any of his postings.) He might have a more clear suggestion of how to capture that log, but I'd think this would do:
start the log, and enable to options that he requests in that description. Then go to "other folders" (e.g. from the pull-down "drawer" in the left-top corner), and let all folders load.
Then stop the debug log, and send the file as described in the instructions.

PS. I see that Kostya just has posted his response, - but I still think my suggestions might be helpful.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 12:31:43 am »
Thank you StR, very useful.

You might be right about ActiveSync in Outlook -- and then the only other reference point we have is web mail, which may not be using any mail protocol but dealing directly with the account's mail database.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

XabiX

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:38:17 pm »
I think it's an issue with IMAP NAMESPACE (a server config issue, really).

Please try this:

- Long press the account -> account setup -> Manual
- On the incoming server settings screen, unselect "Folder prefix: automatic" and make sure there is nothing in the edit control below
- Press Next twice to try to validate and save
- The app should take you to Folders screen, if not, you already know how to get there (to Folders), you should see some changes

PS - just in case, I'd use Menu -> Backup & Restore first, to make a backup of your account and folder settings.

Bonjour Kostya,

FYI I have tried this and it didn't work. I will try StR suggestion and report back.

Merci
XabiX

XabiX

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:23 pm »
Thank you StR, very useful.

You might be right about ActiveSync in Outlook -- and then the only other reference point we have is web mail, which may not be using any mail protocol but dealing directly with the account's mail database.

Hi StR,

For completeness I have posted my Outlook config but from my understanding my outlook works fine and I have "Deleted Items" sync with IMAP server Trash folder and all is fine. What I need to "solve" is the mapping between AquaMail and my IMAP server that is from Oracle stbeehive. Settings are from: https://beehiveonline.oracle.com/External_02.html [nofollow]

Find enclosed the outook settings fyi together with the AquaMail ones

XabiX

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 05:11:43 pm »
Hi guys,

I believe there is an issue as I can see the directory Trash being seen but is not listed furthermore the log
2016.02.23 15:04:24.639 +0100   [IMAP.251525]   Database folder: _id 7, Trash, type 4097

See attached log. Hopefully this helps.

XabiX (pwd my username in small letters)