Author Topic: Sort by unread unreliable  (Read 3785 times)

ThomasN

• Thomas
Sort by unread unreliable
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:31 pm »
I have discovered that I cannot trust that all unread messages get stacked together in the Inbox when doing Sort by unread. (Learned by getting reminders on unpaid bills, which I always leave unread until paid.) Turns out to be more of (only?) a problem on my tablet than on the phone.

Also, when looking for missing messages in the unsorted inbox, they simply do not appear (tablet)! But identical search on my phone AquaMail finds them! After a little back and forth between mailboxes they may suddenly show up.

StR

Re: Sort by unread unreliable
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »
It might help if you'd share some information:
Who is the provider? (One of the major ones? Gmail?)
Is your account set as IMAP, EWS, or pop3 on both  devices?
What "back and forth' helps you finding your messages?

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:49:59 pm »
Are they *old* (not very recent) unread messages?

The app syncs (keeps fresh) a limited number of recent messages, per folder.

Even if you use "unread first", it will not "hunt for" older unread messages on the server. It's just a sort option for the same, recent, messages.

Please try this:

- Long press the account
- Options and folders
- Account options
- Change the "messages to sync" setting to make it larger.

Please don't go crazy with the thousands, since the default is 25-50 (depending on Android version), I'd think 100 or 250 should be enough.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 03:08:12 pm »
You are right, I see now that the missing messages are older than what is synced. But that it does not hunt for unread messages on the server is not obvious from the name of the command "unread first". Maybe it should be changed to "unread first (sync'd only)" or at least some way of indicating that is not a true list of unread mails. Same with the Star marked.

I tried what you suggested by increasing the number of messages to sync, and understand what you mean. At least now I am aware of it, but it means that I simply cannot rely on Aquamail as my only mail client since I will still risk losing out on some messages older than what is synced from the server.

Davey126

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:50 pm »
Consider changing 'messages to sync' to a time period (eg: 30 days). This adds clarity to the horizon of messages that reside on the device. Also simplifies bringing down another logical block of messages (eg: next 30 days) if your looking for something older. AquaMail has several controls/options to streamline the loading of additional message and/or retaining a larger message store on the device.

If you have a huge message store and random unread message of varying ages then AquaMail or any other off-line mail client may not be right for you.

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:41:40 pm »
Right, already chose 30 days now, so we'll see. (On my PC I'm using Opera Mail (offline client), this seems to keep track on all unread. But got sick and tired of my PC after upgrading to Windows 10 so hoped to get rid of it and switch completely to my new tablet....)

Sent fra min SM-T810 via Tapatalk

Davey126

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »
Also consider cache setting which when combined with time period (vs message count) sync means 'in addition to'. So if sync is set to 30 days and cache to 250 messages up to 250 older emails will remain on the device beyond the sync horizon. The combination of sync and cache can be powerful and intuitive when values are set appropriately.