Author Topic: Opinions wanted: new feature vs. app size  (Read 29035 times)

Kostya Vasilyev

Opinions wanted: new feature vs. app size
« on: August 21, 2015, 01:11:57 am »
It's always hectic for a few weeks after a release, and use that time to work on the smaller easier stuff.

An often requested feature is to be able to resize (shrink) image attachments when sending messages, "like on the iPhone". Well, makes sense, most phones these days have cameras producing 6-8-12 megapixel images (and that's not all).

This feature requires some "native" code which is architecture specific, "arm", "x86", maybe "arm 64 bit" like the Nexus 9, so it adds up quickly.

So what I wanted to get opinions on is:

- Should I package this feature (and the libraries) into the app itself?

This would increase the .apk size by about 600K (for three architectures, "arm", "x86" and "arm 64 bit"), bringing the total size from ~5.3 MB to ~6 MB.

Install size overhead would be about 800K.

- Or split the feature into a separate app, keeping the main app's size down.

But then there are issues with discovery (another app? what is this thing?) and it's somewhat more complicated to code.

Any opinions?

Oh, and if add support for "x86 64 bit" later, the overhead would go to ~800K for the .apk / ~1200K for the "installed" size.

---

Note to @pyler -- yes, I'm aware that it's possible to build arch-specific .apk's, but it's just more hassle (and possibility for mistakes) when uploading to Play.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:21:12 am by Kostya Vasilyev, Aqua Mail »
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

julio66

Re: Opinions wanted: new feature vs. app size
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 01:38:31 am »
Hi Kostya
You asked for opinion so here it comes:
Aquamail became for a LONG time ago an advanced email app for all us users who needs and wants more than an ordinary standard email app do (like most stock email app). This you have managed WITHOUT forgetting also those "less advanced" users who dont need all the features that it brings. But then to be honest...for being the app it is today IT IS SMALL IN SIZE and I have always wondered how you managed this ;-)
But I think most people would agree that to get included more features, especially important ones like image handling, is well worth an larger image size of the app.
I will admit, with no shame that I used before Maildroid which is also an amazing email app, and the reason for my choice that time was all the various functions/features it brought me and the size of the app in that time was 10.2Mb AND WELL WORTH IT.
They had even a thing that I for a VERY long time now hoped that Aquamail also could reconsider one day: temporary image resize for INLINE PHOTOS...which means...when you insert an image in the mail, it doesn't touch the original size when u send the mail, but makes a thumb, (saying the original size) so your email doesn't get distored while continue writing. The reason this is a INCREDIBLE feature is that the person who receive the email in for example a computer doesn't need a magnifying glass to see the pics inserted in the mail as it is today with Aquamail. It even send and show animations of gif files for the same reason: it sends it in the original size.
So to summarize: I would absolutely support an increase in filesize in change for more features.
And just to avoid misunderstanding: I LOVE AQUAMAIL AND WON'T CHANGE TO ANY OTHER APP FOR ANYTHING  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:46:25 am by julio66 »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 01:45:03 am »
Thank you Julio.

Yes, there are much, much larger apps these days (especially those with material design on older Android versions, but not just that).

And then I guess you're saying that 5.3 megabytes -> ~6.1 megabytes isn't much (more when installed, but still). Point taken, thanks.

Ayhan Arhan

• ARHAN
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:32:13 am »
Hi, EWS Active sync and speech mode pls.

pyler

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:41 am »
Maybe it is possible do it in "plugin/addon" style?

I will personally not use this feature, I send high res photos when needed :D but it is quite questionably how many will/will not use this feature. I am sure 600k will not kill everybody, but.. I remeber days we have 3,5mb apk size :D

If high demand, integrate it. If not so high, plugin is better choice I believe.

Pretty surprising you are going to work on this, since there are more wanted features :D joke =D
Do you want to use the latest AquaMail version?
Try AquaMail Updater!

Fcasoli

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:11:26 am »
Aquamail users have a medium top devices, in my opinion, so it is not a problem to increase the app weight.
The difference I appreciate is the big customized setup, I think Aquamail can have share with this strategy.
Thanks

Phone: Galaxy Note 4
Watch: G-Shock Gulfmaster

Wurlitzer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 10:14:33 am »
Please add conversation view!!!

crashdamage

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:15:29 pm »
An optional plugin would be my personal preference.  But if it's much simpler to Include it in the app by default and you feel you have the demand for it, then put it in the app.  It's not a huge increase in size, and it is kind of a good feature to have.

Android since v1.0.  Linux since 2001.

Android since v1.0.  Linux since 2001.

beerlao

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 04:51:15 pm »
I fully agree with Julio 66. 6MB is far away from being super heavyweight and going for a plug-in approach would complicate things only to save 600k... So, I personally do not care about app size as long as the app itself is responsive. Above that, I would consider this feature as useful (as well as conversation view ;-) ).

Ayhan Arhan

• ARHAN
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »
Add font Verdana, EWS active sync and conversation view please.

paras.desai

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:36:00 pm »
I feel if this feature could be offered as plug in,  which can be installed if some one choose to install by pressing some button in setting menu.
As you may add other feature too in coming days
Using Tapatalk

Rapsody10

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:25:28 pm »
I think this could be added without a problem the goal should be to keep it under 8 to 10 MB  otherwise will reach the point to be as big as any other app and the idea is not only to be better but to be an small and efficient app

Also if there is a chance could you please make one for windows phone too

Raps

pyler

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 10:36:52 pm »
They should be just menu item. If plugin is installed, menu item will be enabled/shown.

If somebody changes phone.. not a big deal, Google Play automatically installs all your apps in your new phone. So plugin too.
Do you want to use the latest AquaMail version?
Try AquaMail Updater!

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:19 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you all.

StR

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 06:39:46 am »
Sorry for the delayed response: this thread has sprang very quickly, while I was traveling.

1. One has to keep in mind that the size that Kostya mentioned (5-6 MB) is the packed, and not installed one. The latest Google Play version installed on my phone weighs 9.52 MB, as reported by the system (Settings -> apps).
It is still a very reasonable size. In comparison, the behemoth Chrome unpacks from 31 MB
to 99 MB, and because it is a part of the bloatware installed on my phone by Verizon, I have no way uninstalling it without rooting the device. (In reality, it takes 112 MB, because you cannot stop it, and the moment it starts, it stores 13 MB of data. Deleting that data doesn't last for too long: some seconds or minutes.)

2. Some users do have "the latest and greatest" phone models, but some people do not. E.g. I have Droid Razr M that I am mostly happy with (it is compact and does what I need). But it has only 8 GB of memory built in, and Motorola/Verizon modified system that doesn't installed allow apps to be installed on the external SD card (even those that are app2sd). Also, some apps and parts of the system are hardwired to save their information on the internal storage, and cannot be configured otherwise (e.g. screenshot, file download, ...)
Because of how Android handles the internal space (or how it is configured on this phone), - essentially only about 4-5 GB is allocated to apps and storage.
Some of my associates are using cheap budget-type "Made-in-China" phones with probably 4 GB (if not 2 GB?) of internal storage, and then the space is even more valuable.

I do have a 32 GB miniSD card - I store all the photos and videos there, and move the files there whenever I can.
I am keeping the OS version on 4.1.2, avoid the update to 4.4.x (KitKat), - for a combination of reasons, including the limitations with respect to the SD usage/permissions.

I do have a bunch of apps installed: web-browsers, navigation (Google Map, Waze), travel (TripAdvisor, Kayak, Yelp, "My" airlines), communication (Skype, Viber), developmental games for my kid (reading, math, etc. - those are usually large, 20-50 MB each). Together with the preinstalled bloatware that is disabled but cannot be deleted, they take close to 3.5 GB.
As a results, the "available" space (for the system and apps) varies from about 460MB (when the OS starts complaining about being short on storage and that some functions might not be available) to 600 MB, - depending on how much space is used by cache and data. When I am doing an update for the larger apps (e.g. TripAdvisor), - I must clean all the cache, to have sufficient space for the update to be installed (downloaded apk, overhead space [unpacked app or whatever it is?]).
The nice thing about Aquamail is that I can update it without much hassle with the storage space.

If and when I need to install some new app, I must maintain the space balance, and usually delete some apps that are not used frequently.
For all these reasons, - I am happy that Aquamail has a very modest footprint.

3. Image shrinking functionality.
I think it is a good feature (that some of my correspondents would benefit from, - but then again, many of them are not using Aquamail). However, I'd like to warn about the potential evil side of it: Some iPhone users do not realize that the images they send are reduced in size. Just recently on the photography list that I read, there was an issue that a guy was receiving pics of his recently born grandchildren at the reduced resolution that was marginally [in]sufficient for printing, and his daughter had no clue about that. And, of course she had no idea how to send the original image. 
And earlier, I've heard about someone else, who assumed that the images were preserved in the e-mail that he sent to himself, and deleted the originals.
I hope, Kostya, these two stories would be helpful in how you will design the configuration of the image-resizing options.

4. Personally, I am happy with the functionality that QuickPic offers for resizing.
So, for me, the convenient option would've been to have the same type of "filter" for attachment that presently exists for the inline image, -- namely, opening the image(s) in QuickPic and configuring how it should be resized. Unfortunately, AFAIK, QuickPic doesn't offer "batch-resizing" option. (As a reference, - imageMagick library does that type of job well on Unix, but I haven't tried its port on Android)
I am not 100% sure if I'd be installing that option for Aquamail or not, - it depends on the implementation/functionality. So, for the flexibility of not installing it if I don't need it, - I'd vote to have it as a plug-in.

5. Just in case, - I've seen an app (Tiny Flashlight + LED) where the developer decided to go modular, with the plugins after some long period of time of having his (rather popular) app. That did make the base app small in size. (And I appreciated it, as the original app was rather large in size). But the change broke what people got used to. As a result, there were quite a few whiners who were unhappy, giving ultimatums in the feedback. After just a few months he switched back, to an all-in-one app. (I didn't update it.)
The moral of the story: people are happy to be unhappy with seemingly drastic changes, no matter what.

6. I agree with others (Pyler, ..) - who proposed this functionality to be an option in the settings menu that calls for plug-in to be installed.

Kostya, I hope these thoughts are helpful to you in making the decision(s).

PS. And yes, please, make the font BukaZyaka size 9.82 available.   ;D
(In plain-text mode, of course! Please!)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:44:51 am by StR »