Author Topic: JPG attachments never download  (Read 29915 times)

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: JPG attachments never download
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »
@drunkman --

I never said anything about Outlook doing anything wrong.

The issue is in Simple Mail. Its developer doesn't know how to properly encode attachments, simple (haha) as that.

I'll try it again, since you seem to have liked my use of CAPS and RED.

THE ISSUE IS WITH SIMPLE MAIL NOT ENCODING ATTACHMENTS PROPERLY

WHY? WHY? WHY? HOW? HOW? HOW CAN THE DEVELOPER OF SIMPLE MAIL NOT KNOW THE RIGHT WAY TO ENCODE ATTACHMENTS?

@mike - excellent, thank you.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2497499&start=180

i regularly have some recipients asking me to again send a mail, sent using SM2.86.7 (*), because they answer not finding the attached document.
I then have no other solution than to use the webmail facilities of my internet provider to resend the mail and its attachment; or also mailing a printed copy + stick stamps + bringing it to a Post office ... :D . Till now,I have been hating using another mail client than SimpleMail  :wink: .

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2497499&start=120

-Attachments: I sent about 15 megs of video MP4s to a gmail and AOL account. The user found no attachments while looking through their iPhone 4s Safari at their web mail in both cases. The message preview indicates attachments.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2497499&start=90

Another issue:
Some recipient using Evolution 3.6.2-0ubuntu0.1 Mail-Client do not even see attached pieces

A "problem in AquaMail only". Rrrright.

---

Last night I sent a message about all this to the developer of Simple Mail.

If he reads his mail, and understands the issue, and has any inclination to fix it... then he might. If he doesn't....

---

And that's it for me. I have nothing more to add and nothing to fix on my side.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:38:25 pm by Kostya Vasilyev, Aqua Mail »
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

drukman

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »
Can't understand what you want from Simple Mail dev.
After all - each & every application manage to download the files from the server.
Aqua Mail didn't.
I hope my point is clear.
Sorry for not using the red at all - nevertheless it's very impressive when you use it.
Drukman.

mikeone

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 07:32:32 pm »
After all - each & every application manage to download the files from the server.
Aqua Mail didn't.
I hope my point is clear.
Sorry for not using the red at all - nevertheless it's very impressive when you use it.
Drukman.

@drukman
Where is your problem of not understanding what the Simple Mail developer has to be done?

It's surely not our fault if you couldn't read carefully all posts - even bold or redmarked - we wrote previously and pointed out, that the issue is definitely by the incorrect coding of Simple Mail...not by Microsoft Outlook and also not...repeated: not by Aquamail.
However it also could be that you are not willing to understand the outpointed facts - even outpointed by yourself... Nobody knows  8)

Quote from your own post:
All
Here is an important update.

I just did something else:
1. Sent an email from Simple Mail (it's a Firefox add-on that acts as an email program)
2. Sent an email from outlook

I than tried to retrieved those emails by various mail programs.....
1. All managed to retrieve images from BOTH emails mentioned above (1 and 2).
2. Aqua mail managed to retrieve images only from the email sent by Outlook (number 2 above) BUT failed to retrieve the email sent by Simple Mail (number 1 above0.

To me it looks like messages sent by Simple Mail are "stripped" from some crucial info that Aqua Mail needs in order to fully download the image attachments.
Otherwise why other email clients can retrieve those email in full including the attached imaged while Aqua mail doesn't ?
Before answering please remember that Aqua mail managed to successfully download all images from emails sent by Outlook.

Drukman.

So why do you ignore for yourself? WHY? WHY? WHY?
It seems ridiculous to me.

Let me try to explain the outpointed facts again:

(1) sending by Simple Mail, downloading by Aquamail > retrieving embedded images failed
(2) sending by Microsoft Outlook, downloading by Aquamail > successfully downloading from all images by Aquamail

Therefore no bug by Microsoft Outlook > this client is sending embedded images as intended by standards (RFCs)
Why did you address an issue to there developers? WHY? There was and is no reason for.
> no recommendation from no one here in the forum!

Also no bug by Aquamail > Aqua mail managed to successfully download all images from emails sent by Outlook
Both programms are working as intended: Outlook as sending client; Aquamail (only) as a mobile app (the "real" recipient client is your webmail provider: bezeqint)
> because Aquamail handles embedded images as intended by standard (RFCs)

But wrong implementation by Simple Mail > as this programm uses incorrect code for embedded images when sending a message.

> not encoding attachments properly is the one and only issue!

Please be aware of Kostya's factual explanations in his post:
http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=3155.msg15221#msg15221

This -- clearly and unambiguously -- means that the images are not attachments, but are embedded somewhere in message text (HTML).

They're actually not referenced anywhere in message text, but they are marked as such.

Now you should be in the position to understand the real issue - also already mentioned in Kostya's previous post:

The developer of this Firefox add-on should spend some time reading the relevant documentation (RFCs), easy to find on the Internet. Or he could just send a message with a quality mail app or web mail (like Thunderbird or Gmail), and examine the message's source.

Puh...it's really tiring to help someone who is continuously ignoring outpointed facts.

I'm finished now.
Mikeone
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:05:46 am by mikeone »

andrewilley

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 12:56:56 pm »

Please read Kostya's earlier email which explained the issue in perfect detail:

Every single one of those images is marked with:

Content-Disposition: inline

And the message's top-level structure is:

Content-Type: multipart/related

For a message with attachments, the top-level structure should be:

Content-Type: multipart/mixed

And each attachment should have:

Content-Disposition: attachment

There is a reason why there are technical standards for all kinds of things, including email messages.

It lets apps work with each other, without having to add workarounds in every app for every other app it might interact with.

Kostya: I wonder if a workaround might be possible by checking to see if any intended inline images have not been referenced from within the message body after it has been fully parsed and rendered, and if so treat them as regular attached files instead? I assume that's what other apps might be doing to fix this issue, as I'm guessing they must have seen it from their users too. However as you say, this is really not your problem but the sending software's fault, although maybe if that can be done without much extra work for you if might be worth considering? Happy New Year to you by the way, and thanks for all the excellent support you provide.

Andre
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:58:35 pm by andrewilley »

drukman

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

Kostya: I wonder if a workaround might be possible by checking to see if any intended inline images have not been referenced from within the message body after it has been fully parsed and rendered, and if so treat them as regular attached files instead? I assume that's what other apps might be doing to fix this issue, as I'm guessing they must have seen it from their users too. However as you say, this is really not your problem but the sending software's fault, although maybe if that can be done without much extra work for you if might be worth considering? Happy New Year to you by the way, and thanks for all the excellent support you provide.

Andre

Andre,
Your comment sum it all (this is what this discussion is about from the start).
Kostya doesn't want to do what other apps did.
He is smarter & he knows best what should & shouldn't be done.  ;D
So so regarding the software BUT what a great educator.  :P
Drukman.

mikeone

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 03:58:09 pm »
@drukman
I'm a little shocked by your reaction.

I have the latest build.
All Emails that are downloaded by the s/w are downloaded without the JPG attachments.
Downloading those emails by my PC client shows all the attachments.
WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ?

You start with asking WHY? ... and you got the answer from Kostya with his detailed and factual post - shortly after he received your test email sent by "Simple Mail":

Thank you, got it.

Working as expected.

Every single one of those images is marked with:

Content-Disposition: inline

And the message's top-level structure is:

Content-Type: multipart/related

This -- clearly and unambiguously -- means that the images are not attachments, but are embedded somewhere in message text (HTML).

They're actually not referenced anywhere in message text, but they are marked as such.

The developer of this Firefox add-on should spend some time reading the relevant documentation (RFCs), easy to find on the Internet. Or he could just send a message with a quality mail app or web mail (like Thunderbird or Gmail), and examine the message's source.

Or you could just forward him this:

For a message with attachments, the top-level structure should be:

Content-Type: multipart/mixed

And each attachment should have:

Content-Disposition: attachment

PS - thought I'd add something about "but it works with other apps".

There is a reason why there are technical standards for all kinds of things, including email messages.

It lets apps work with each other, without having to add workarounds in every app for every other app it might interact with.

Afterwards you restarted with an annoying wrong statement - ignoring the outpointed facts in his answer :

Yes mikeone you are correct - I am pushy.

Kostya Vasilyev - Simple Mail gets those emails to the server with the attachments. Your application fails in retrieving them while all other email clients succeed.

Thanks - (pushy) Drukman.

What's so hard to understand?

> the one and only app who fails is this curious Firefox add-on "Simple Mail" whose developer simply made a faulty implementation to encode attachments properly....  in defiance of standards (RFCs)

Are you really requesting that each mail app / mail client out there has to implement a workaround, just because of one faulty add-on which encodes attachments not properly? Is that what you expect? Seriously?

For me it sounds a kind of weird logic... and it's just pushy,

Kostya has a lot of other more useful things on his schedule.. instead of implementation of workarounds for faulty other apps.

BTW:
Kostya is the sole developer of AquaMail and does not have the resources such as e.g. Microsoft and other pushed start-up companies with budgets of $millions.

Therefore please keep calm and do not call him as an educator. This is not only pushy it's offensive.  That is not him and it really repels me.

Mikeone
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:16:32 am by mikeone »

mikeone

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 06:41:52 pm »
@drukman
For all your constricted view did you ever noticed that Kostya already contacted the developer of "Simple Mail"?

---

Last night I sent a message about all this to the developer of Simple Mail.

If he reads his mail, and understands the issue, and has any inclination to fix it... then he might. If he doesn't....

---

And that's it for me. I have nothing more to add and nothing to fix on my side.

This should be not his job. He has done this kindly for you -  even though you are the user of this add-on -

And nevertheless you offends him. That's annoying and at least unworthy...  < just my 2 cents >

Mikeone
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:44:03 pm by mikeone »

drukman

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:39 pm »
@drukman
For all your constricted view did you ever noticed that Kostya already contacted the developer of "Simple Mail"?
This should be not his job. He has done this kindly for you -  even though you are the user of this add-on -
And nevertheless you offends him. That's annoying and at least unworthy...  < just my 2 cents >
Mikeone

Mikeone
Your view is so constricted that I bet you expect the Simple Mail developer to dignify Kostya with an answer.
So here are my '2 cents" for you - he is not going even to dignify Kostya with an answer - and for a very good reason.
Drukman.

andrewilley

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 09:25:04 pm »
Your view is so constricted that I bet you expect the Simple Mail developer to dignify Kostya with an answer.

That depends on whether the Simple Mail developer is interested in fixing the bug in his software or not. He might have more important stuff to do as well of course. Kostya has informed him (and you) of the issue anyway, now you'll just have to wait and see.

I have been hinting to you as to the right way to approach a developer with a request, but you insist on ignorantly abusing his responses, so quite frankly you deserve what you get (which, from the way you are carrying on, will probably be nothing).

Andre

drukman

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »
Andre
It's not a bug - it's a huge malfunction.
It's not in Simple Mail - it's in aqua mail.
And that's why there will be no answer.
Wait & see.
Drukman.

andrewilley

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 01:11:01 pm »
Wait & see.

Great, so as you know so much about it I'm looking forward to seeing your own email app written and released quite soon now - it'll be such a relief not to have to use this buggy AquaMail again.

In the meantime, do feel free to carry on having this conversation with yourself if you decide to stay. Have a nice New Year.

Andre

drukman

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 01:36:47 pm »
Andre
Can you read ?
I am not using Aqua Mail since day one of the malfunction.
LOL - Drukman..

mikeone

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 03:41:47 pm »
@drukman
Mikeone

Mikeone
So here are my '2 cents" for you - he is not going even to dignify Kostya with an answer - and for a very good reason.
Drukman.

@drukman
Don't be strange. The developer doesn't have to dignify Kostya. That's redecioules.

If he is an IT-expert - and of course he should - he will know what to do...fixing his Firefox add-on: just modifying two lines in his code to get it in accordance with technical standards (RFCs).
This will help not only the users of Aquamail - which would be the result for your pointless requirement - but also for all other mail clients / apps out there receiving messages (with attachments / embedded images) sent by "Simple Mail".
It is clearly visible for all readers: you have no idea of encoding...

Mikeone

mikeone

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 03:48:30 pm »
Andre
It's not a bug - it's a huge malfunction.
Wait & see.
Drukman.
Andre
Can you read ?
I am not using Aqua Mail since day one of the malfunction.
LOL - Drukman..

@drukman
These responses are showing your ignorance in total.
Thank you!
 8)  8)

You are so FUNNY  :D
> more than 360, 450, 3,000 views for this thread: congratulations > Great entertainment!

...and Happy New Year to all

Mikeone
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:46:41 pm by mikeone »

drukman

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:36 pm »
Andre
Sitting here for the last 10 minutes thinking who is more ignorance & dumb - you or Kostya.
Truly can't make up my mind.  :P
HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Drukman.