Author Topic: How do I save emails locally coming from a Verizon server?  (Read 6638 times)

meyerske

How do I save emails locally coming from a Verizon server?
« on: October 24, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »
The subject line says it all... Thanks!

mikeone

Re: How do I save emails locally coming from a Verizon server?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 02:04:49 pm »
I am not sure if I understand your request correctly

Just to clarify:
You really want to save your emails on a mobile device and delete them on the server...?

meyerske

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »
No, I want to retain them on the Verizon server.  I occasionally like to save an email on my mobile phone for reference.

someone

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »
Here's a suggestion if you are using imap on the phone.
- Create a folder on your server called Hold or Keep or whatever.
- Make it visible in Aquamail. ("other folders")
- move the emails you want to keep for reference on your phone to that folder.
(icon on bar for "move to")
They will remain there both on the server and phone.

mikeone

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:01:26 pm »
Here's a suggestion if you are using imap on the phone.
- Create a folder on your server called Hold or Keep or whatever.
- Make it visible in Aquamail. ("other folders")
- move the emails you want to keep for reference on your phone to that folder.
(icon on bar for "move to")
They will remain there both on the server and phone.
+1

meyerske

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 03:05:04 pm »
Sorry, but I don't know what imap is. I'm using pop3. Do I have a choice?

someone

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:26 pm »
I understand. I used to use pop3 and still do on my oc.
I'm not an expert but briefly, poo3 allows you to download your emails to your device, while imap just reflects what is on your server but is the more upto date protocol and has more capabilities. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain better. Aquamail accounts can be set up as either pop3 or imap.

I don't like to leave things in the cloud. So what I do is
1. On my pc I use poo3 and when I download my messages I have them removed from my server.
2. The Android phone /device has more limited storage capacity. So it is not smart to keep a lot of emails on it which would fill it up. On my android devices I use imap. Lets me read my emails but leave them on the server for later download to my pc where I store what I need to save.
Aquamail lets you set up your accounts as either pop3 or imap. I recommend resetting the account as imap.
Fwiw.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:32:04 pm by someone »

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 05:48:34 pm »
@meyerske:

As mentioned by 'someone' IMAP is the most common protocol in the mobile world - for various reasons.

IMAP is designed with the goal of permitting complete management of an email box (your webmail account) by multiple email clients, Therefore, clients generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them.

The IMAP protocol specifically allows simultaneous access by multiple clients and provides mechanisms for clients to detect changes made to the mailbox by other, concurrently connected, clients.

The (slightly) disadvantage of IMAP is that the definitions of how it works varies considerably between servers and email clients. For example, email clients using IMAP do NOT usually download and keep ALL your emails. Instead, an IMAP server is meant to be the holder of your emails. Your IMAP email clients only synchronize a configured number of emails, not generally everything.

Since your account is currently set up as POP3, Aquamail cannot convert this account into a IMAP account.
So, you'd have to create a new account in Aquamail - as a "IMAP account" for the same mail account, and then, when it is working, delete the old instance (in Aquamail).

Kind regards
Mikeone

StR

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:53 pm »
The (slightly) disadvantage of IMAP is that the definitions of how it works varies considerably between servers and email clients. For example, email clients using IMAP do NOT usually download and keep ALL your emails. Instead, an IMAP server is meant to be the holder of your emails. Your IMAP email clients only synchronize a configured number of emails, not generally everything.
I would disagree that what you describe in this paragraph is a disadvantage of IMAP, not even a slight one. It is the flexibility and configurability (those that you praise in Aquamail). And yes, different e-mail clients might have different defaults. You can configure any reasonable e-mail client that speaks IMAP to do everything what you can do via POP3. I have a low traffic account where I configured Thunderbird to store all messages on my laptop. But for the high-traffic accounts (where I don't even need to read all messages), - Thunderbird only synchronizes the mail headers, without saving _any_ messages locally.

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 11:38:56 pm »
I just wanted to say that email clients are not keeping ALL messages when they are using IMAP - in the  opposite to POP3.

E.g., an email account set up in Outlook to use POP downloads all your new mail on the server and stores them in a PST file on your local computer. Thunderbird handles POP much the same way. You can always count on having all your mail on your device using POP.

The most common shortcoming of the POP protocol is that it's a 1-way trip. Your device's email client fetches email from the server and that's it.

However, I agree with your arguments, that the way IMAP works is not really a disadvantage - especially with mobile devices and their usually limited memory space.

StR

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 01:38:12 am »
I just wanted to say that email clients are not keeping ALL messages when they are using IMAP - in the  opposite to POP3.
That's not true. It is the design of only/mostly mobile e-mail clients (but even some of those might be configurable in some) to keep only N recent messages, not the property of IMAP. The laptop/desktop-based clients can keep either ALL messages or information (mailheaders) about ALL messages.

E.g., an email account set up in Outlook to use POP downloads all your new mail on the server and stores them in a PST file on your local computer. Thunderbird handles POP much the same way. You can always count on having all your mail on your device using POP.
You are missing one of the main points I made earlier: Thunderbird (and other IMAP-based clients) can be setup to download and keep all complete  messages. That way all what you said about POP3 will be applicable to IMAP.
So, you can emulate almost all behavior of a POP3-based connection via IMAP.
There is only one thing that is hard to emulate: in all IMAP clients that I know it is very hard or even impossible to completely block synchronization of all the changes happening on the IMAP client back to the server. I.e. it is hard to make the IMAP connection looking as if it were a 1-way connection. :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:41:28 am by StR »

someone

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 03:14:11 am »
Did the op succeed in setting his mailbox in Aquamail as an imap account?

After that, did he set up the extra folder in which to keep a few emails for reference?

I think that is what he/she needed help with.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »
AquaMail runs on devices with limited performance and storage.

Therefore, it keeps up to date and stores a limited number of recent messages, this applies to all account types (POP3 / IMAP / EWS) and all mail providers.

To change: long press an account -> options and folders -> account options. "Messages to sync" and "Messages to cache".

Re: folders

AquaMail does not support "local" device-only folders.

With IMAP / EWS accounts, it is possible to access server side folders, and that's what I would recommend.

Unfortunately, Verizon mail does not seem to support IMAP, only POP3.

I believe they're the last large email provider to be stuck in 1996 (even Comcast supports IMAP now).
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

meyerske

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 08:21:28 pm »
Thanks, all.