Poll

How can I configurate my IMAP send folders on my computer and phone with each-other?

How can I configurate my IMAP send folders on my computer and phone with each-other?
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: Configurate with IMAP send folders  (Read 6562 times)

nanoenanoe

Configurate with IMAP send folders
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »
Hi,

I have aqua mail pro and set up my email accounts (1 Gmail and 1 One.com provider) When setting up the one.com email account I followed the instructions of my provider and everything is working fine.

However the send folder of my email on the computer isn't syncing with my send folder on my mobile. I checked all IMAP settings and everything is how it should be.
How can I fix this? So how can I see my send email, I send on my computer, on my mobile? I

Thanks in advanced!

Nanoe

beaky

Re: Configurate with IMAP send folders
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:36:11 pm »
Hi,

I have aqua mail pro and set up my email accounts (1 Gmail and 1 One.com provider) When setting up the one.com email account I followed the instructions of my provider and everything is working fine.

However the send folder of my email on the computer isn't syncing with my send folder on my mobile. I checked all IMAP settings and everything is how it should be.
How can I fix this? So how can I see my send email, I send on my computer, on my mobile? I

Thanks in advanced!

Nanoe
Assuming my answer is right, you will have a sent folder on the server with just your phone emails. On your PC, you will have just your PC (sent) emails, but these are not on the server. Check this first, using webmail to check the sent folder on your server, your PC client to check that it has the sent messages from your pc. Both devices set to use IMAP. I also assume you use a regular email client like thunderbird on the pc, rather than webmail. Do NOT read further if any of this is not the case.........

Synchronising your sent folder on each device can be on or off. It is also set per account, and you have two. I strongly suspect that your PC setup (presumably in use before your mobile) is not set to synchronise "sent" with the server in its IMAP settings. So your server may have no sent emails - at best an empty folder or one that only has sent emails from your phone. Both devices need to be set to synchronise to the same server folder for each account if sent mails are to be seen equally on both regardless of where sent from.
 If you have webmail access, are the sent mails from the pc visible on webmail too? Check both accounts. If this is the case, what I have suggested is NOT the problem. Stop here and read no further.......

If you see on the server no sent emails, or only sent emails from the phone, your ONLY copy of emails sent from the PC is still on the PC.
Check also that both devices are syncing to the same server folder. If your server has "Sent" but also "Sent emails" or "Sent objects", chances are one will contain your sent messages and the other not. Or one from the pc and the other from the phone. I other words each device is synchronising, but to a different folder?
To be clear, I believe the server folder should just be called Sent, whatever the PC client calls it. The folder on the pc may be called Sent Emails, Sent Objects, or just Sent. I think Sent is the standard name. It does not prevent a misconfiguration adding another one. A folder is a folder (on most email servers, but gmail may be different).
But CAUTION! Before changing the PC setup to synchronise, I am not sure if the result will then be an empty folder on the PC ( you do not want), or a populated one on the server ( you do want). If you have already sent some emails from your phone and these are in the sent folder on the server, you will need to combine these with the ones from your PC at some point, and not just destroy them.

So - backup of the pc sent folder(s) may be a very good idea.

So in case of accidents, at least back up the emails on your pc, using whatever backup tool is appropriate for your PC email client.
If you are using Thunderbird, also copy the sent mails on the pc to a local folder within Thunderbird. That is, a folder that will not synchronise with the server, and is under the folder "local folders". This will be useful if you later need to combine emails that were in two different folders.

Wait till someone else comments on the best way to combine messages from two places into one folder, if you find you need that. I have done it, just by dragging and dropping on the pc within Thunderbird. I also had to copy oldest first, to prevent the IMAP settings cleaning up the wrong emails.
There must be a better way! I had to copy about 18000!

beaky

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:37:27 pm »
Sorry, my earlier rather long post has been mangled by tapatalk. 

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:05:35 am »
Thanks for an enormously detailed message, hope you were on a train or something :)

To second beaky's suggestions -- the most important thing to understand is that my app syncs with the mail server, not with other mail apps directly.

Therefore, you will want to check web mail for both accounts and make sure that messages sent with AquaMail show in their sent folders (actually, for Gmail they always do, their server always saves a copy, independently of any mail app).

If you see messages sent with AquaMail in web mail, then it's the other mail app's configuration that needs attention.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/