Author Topic: 2 'How do I...' questions  (Read 11988 times)

hxigor

2 'How do I...' questions
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:53:39 pm »
1.) How do I change the language back to default english? I had previous version of Pro in english, this week a new update was downloaded automatically and now I'm in my native language, unfortunately I didn't find the option to change the language back to english.
I have never ever used a localized software, all programs I use on either on my phone or my computer are and always will be in english. Please don't tell me AM is going the same so common "smart way" installing only just in the same language as the current regional setting is set  :'(

2.) How to disable the annoying notification "Message loading finished" (or something like that, hard to tell precisely in english as I have it localized)? When I check the emails and I go back to home screen of device, the AM icon appears in the upper notification bar. I think a new mail just arrived, I go to AM and no new mail there. I'd like to disable this notification or change it that only notification for new incoming mail would work.

jcasares

Re: 2 'How do I...' questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:47:41 am »
1) That's not AM. It's the way Android works. Unless the developer provides a way to switch it with an internal setting you're doomed.

2) You see a message icon or the AM blue icon? The second one is normal and needed for persistent connections (like IMAP push).

hxigor

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »
1.) It has to be AM, I had it installed in english, there was a previous update and applying it resulted in english so no language change. But after this time with last update 1.2.5.5 the AM language switched to localized.

2.) It's the AM icon, white with @ on in. The same icon notifies unread email in inbox. But also other notifications e.g. "loading message finished". I want just the new email notification!

jcasares

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:18:32 am »
1) Well it is and it's not. AM just uses the locale of your phone. If you previously didn't have it in your language it might be because it wasn't added and now it is.

2) The AM icon is needed for IMAP push to work properly. If you want to get rid of it you can try unticking Settings > Look and feel > Status bar icon but be aware that AM might not work properly.

hxigor

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:32 am »
1.) If it as you say "If you previously didn't have it in your language it might be because it wasn't added and now it is." then it's the issue of AM. Once again - previous version was OK, this one is not. Who's fault is it? I have to say AM, as its behaviour changed.

2.) I'd like to check the settings, but unfortunately I don't have this option there. It's localized and in my langauge I can't find the equivalent words for "Look and feel" and "status bar icon" there.

This is what I'm trying to say, hardcoding language into application is very very bad decision. Not to mention the transaltion to native languages is usually misleading and sometimes funny too.
If you want to have a smart application which installs defaultly in localized language, then have it. BUT PLEASE BRING BACK THE OPTION TO SWITCH THE APP LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH!

jcasares

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:29:30 pm »
1) The problem is that it's not AM fault. You were riding on a missing language that was replaced temporarily by English. His behavior didn't change. It worked that way always.

2) Again, is not harcoded. It's set to the locale you chose. If you want English use English locale as I use.

Al

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »
This is what I'm trying to say, hardcoding language into application is very very bad decision. Not to mention the transaltion to native languages is usually misleading and sometimes funny too.
If you want to have a smart application which installs defaultly in localized language, then have it. BUT PLEASE BRING BACK THE OPTION TO SWITCH THE APP LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH!

Just out of curiosity and for our common knowledge, what new locale is now available in AM that previously wasn’t? An again out of curiosity, if you don’t ever ever ever (ever) use localized apps, why in hell do you use a localized Android in the first place??

Now assuming you appreciate the translation work the good folks at Google provided you with on Android but just can’t stand it for other apps, here are your options IMO:
1) Ask/beg/threaten/bribe the dev to implement such a feature
2) Improve the translation yourself, contribute it and make the world a better place (for you and for me and the entire human race…)
3) Fool AM into thinking your locale is English US

This last option, as tempting as it might be, isn’t for the faint of heart. For starter you need root access and you need to install the Xposed framework (which isn’t supported on all devices and can sometimes end up with a bootloop). Once you’re there you can install a plugin that will give you access to several app-specific settings (change locale, modify display DPI, revoke permissions, etc). And of course once you’ve messed up an app’s runtime environment, I don’t know many developers who will assist you should it start behavin’ funny. But hey, it’s still an option! If you’re game let me know and I can give a few pointers and download links (I got it to work but haven’t tested it for a long run).

hxigor

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »
Just out of curiosity and for our common knowledge, what new locale is now available in AM that previously wasn’t? An again out of curiosity, if you don’t ever ever ever (ever) use localized apps, why in hell do you use a localized Android in the first place??
I have to use localized Android because of the poor e-banking application I need to have in the phone. It doesn't work when I change the locale to English and to be honest, I need it more than AM :'(

Now assuming you appreciate the translation work the good folks at Google provided you with on Android but just can’t stand it for other apps, here are your options IMO:
1) Ask/beg/threaten/bribe the dev to implement such a feature
2) Improve the translation yourself, contribute it and make the world a better place (for you and for me and the entire human race…)
3) Fool AM into thinking your locale is English US
1.) I asked, I will not beg and will not bribe. Did I pay for the Pro version? I did. What more is expected from me??
2.) I will not improve the translation, for me it's a waste of time. I used to be a part of opensource community in the past, did sw improvements but never translations. Nowadays I'm contributing the world other way.

Unfortunately, developers today think that everybody using their application is a part of i-People category, who has to be guided step by step (I'm curious which app will be the 1st to notify the user to breath)
Don't forget there are a lot of people out there who know what they want to do, they know it's possible to do it, they know how to do it, but unfortunately there are other people trying to treat them as fools they know nothing and spend more energy to convince them they in fact don't need that feature rather than please them :'(

Al

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »
Don't forget there are a lot of people out there who know what they want to do, they know it's possible to do it, they know how to do it, but unfortunately there are other people trying to treat them as fools they know nothing and spend more energy to convince them they in fact don't need that feature rather than please them :'(

So basically you're saying that since you are highly knowledgeable in English (obviously living in a non-English speaking country), developers shouldn't provide your fellow less-knowledgeable national users with a localized version of their app unless they can also implement a way to circumvent how the OS is going to handle the locale data? It just seems like you're ranting about a default Android behavior, why not complain to Google instead?

I don’t think anyone is trying to convince you this is not a useful feature but it simply hasn’t been implemented yet. I grew up in a bilingual country so I definitely understand your pain and your point. If you reconsider option 3 above, my offer to help is sincere.

hxigor

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:29:43 am »
So basically you're saying that since you are highly knowledgeable in English (obviously living in a non-English speaking country), developers shouldn't provide your fellow less-knowledgeable national users with a localized version of their app unless they can also implement a way to circumvent how the OS is going to handle the locale data? It just seems like you're ranting about a default Android behavior, why not complain to Google instead?
You're trying to put words into my mouth, be careful with that! Unfortunately you're not reading properly what I'm writing. I never ever have written to stop translating and localizing apps! Just give the option to user to choose from. A simple checkbox in the settings "App locale as system locale", when ticked, AM will be localized and when unchecked, it will be default english. What's so complicated with this?
And to be honest, I'm curious how many paying customers clapped theirs hands in my country after this update. AM is not for noobs and not for simple consumer i-people, these are very happy with the default email app of Android. AM always was for people who are deeper in IT than common consumers and it's obvious they're familiar with english. Or do you think that in a small country with 6 million citizens each software is and always was localized and they don't teach english in the schools here? FYI, english is mandatory since 2nd class for more than 2 decades here.
Besides this, I'd like to know how did the localization complicate the life of developers. Isn't it easier reporting the error in english for the developer to find it? When an error message is reported localized, developer has to find the correct translation first...

I don’t think anyone is trying to convince you this is not a useful feature but it simply hasn’t been implemented yet. I grew up in a bilingual country so I definitely understand your pain and your point. If you reconsider option 3 above, my offer to help is sincere.
Thanks for the offer with help, I will not root my phone and void warranty. If it would be HTC, I'd do it. But Samsung customer service is completely different.

I'm repeating myself, but I think I'm treated as noob here. Is every paying customer of AM treated as noob, is it a normal manner here??

jcasares

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:48:45 am »
Why default in English if it's a Rusian app? Hope you get the message.

We don't know your country so we don't have any opinion about if it's useful or not for your countrymen.

You're trying to decide for others, be careful with that! I know a lot of people that use it and are not "deeper in IT". And not all people are familiar with English or prefer to use it. I know a lot of people proficient in English that prefer to use it in Spanish.

If you're not rooting your phone you're in no way "deeper in IT". You get the idea, everyone has an opinion and yours is one more.

No, all respectful and reasonable AM owners are wonderfully treated. I have an excellent dialog with Kostya but once in a while we disagree in some take on an AM feature. Nothing wrong with that. He is the developer and has the right to take the decisions HE considers more convenient.

After all this, can you tell us your language?  ::)

Al

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:38:36 pm »
Unfortunately you're not reading properly what I'm writing. I never ever have written to stop translating and localizing apps! Just give the option to user to choose from.

Huh? That's like exactly what I said, you don't want locale unless you can get rid of it... I get it.

AM is not for noobs and not for simple consumer i-people, these are very happy with the default email app of Android.

Wow, you should consider a marketing position  ;)  "My app is not for you low-life uneducated proles"

AM always was for people who are deeper in IT than common consumers and it's obvious they're familiar with english.

I think it's one thing to be familiar with English but many people simply don't want to bother with it if they can avoid it...

Isn't it easier reporting the error in english for the developer to find it? When an error message is reported localized, developer has to find the correct translation first...

Well sure, but I'm not convinced that's a strong argument to lure customers into adopting a product! Otherwise if one must handle many error messages, it's also possible to user error codes, with numbers! English-only IT was acceptable in the 80s and early 90s but nowadays it's not really a viable option.

I'm repeating myself, but I think I'm treated as noob here. Is every paying customer of AM treated as noob, is it a normal manner here??

Hum, so your feature request not being treated with a P1 status makes you feel like a noob? I'm sorry you feel that way. But maybe you could visit the 'feature request' forum and enrich existing threads on this very same subject. I think this is a perfectly legitimate request but when looking at all the bright and constructive user ideas already posted I wouldn't vote for this one to be very high on the list, I think core messaging features should come first. But hey, that's just my view on it, from one customer to another...

After all this, can you tell us your language?  ::)

My multi-dimensional data correlation algorithm feels lucky: Slovakia?

hxigor

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »
Problem solved - don't ask how, I had to violate the license.

It's very sad that a paying customer has to violate the licence of software he had paid for because the latest updates remove features which he was used to and paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic can be closed, I'll respond only to Kostya's reaction.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 02:36:21 am »
---
A simple checkbox in the settings "App locale as system locale", when ticked, AM will be localized and when unchecked, it will be default english. What's so complicated with this?
---

Android is complicated with this. The way its localization support works, is there is only one system-wide language setting.

I have never hacked support for using a non-system language because of other things on my hands.

---
Problem solved - don't ask how, I had to violate the license.
---

Easy to guess. That's fine, there are lots of sites with cracked AquaMail too, and they never ask either :)

---
Why default in English if it's a Rusian app?
---

The default language, when none of those built into the app matches the system language, is US English.

The other included languages are (in varying state of up-to-datedness):

- Russian
- Ukrainian
- Czech and Slovak (these two always go together: implement one and you'll get an email offering the other one)
- German
- French
- Italian
- Polish
- Spanish
- Portuguese
- Overrides for "language English in region UK" to properly use "colour" instead of "color" (and "neighbour" instead of "neighbor").
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:38:11 am by Kostya Vasilyev, Aqua Mail »
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/