Author Topic: Important announcement concerning the Aqua Mail Unlocker Pro users  (Read 28841 times)

renek11

Re: Important announcement concerning the Aqua Mail Unlocker Pro users
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2023, 08:52:33 pm »
Hello, I received an email informing me that you can upgrade to the Premium version,
But I have a doubt, now I do not know where I read, to make the change you have to pay € 0.09, which would be returned, but when a year passes, you have to pay each year € 29.99 ?

If this is so, and on top of that they use piracy as an excuse to charge 30 € each year, this really seems to me a robbery, it seems to me that we must say goodbye AquaMail, it is not the only mail management application, there are others and very good, and FREE.
For God's sake read the whole thread and stop spreading misinformation

SoCu

« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2023, 02:19:34 pm »
If I have read previous pages, and there are things that are not very clear, and others are not understood, the English translation is sometimes not clear, and others do not make sense the words in those translations.

But I understand that if you want Premium every year you have to go through the cashier with 30€, only the first year you pay 10€.

For the PRO version, you pay 0.09, which is then refunded.

Sorry if it is not understood, I use a translator.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:21:19 pm by SoCu »

chris122380

« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2023, 06:32:33 pm »
If I have read previous pages, and there are things that are not very clear, and others are not understood, the English translation is sometimes not clear, and others do not make sense the words in those translations.

But I understand that if you want Premium every year you have to go through the cashier with 30€, only the first year you pay 10€.

For the PRO version, you pay 0.09, which is then refunded.

Sorry if it is not understood, I use a translator.

Yes, that sounds right to me.

Nigelmay

« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2023, 03:21:13 pm »
I am aware of the issues that others have raised, although I haven't been following the details of the suggested change to a subscription model which would be adistinct disadvantage for us long-term Pro users. In my case, a recurring subscription would mean that I am off into the middle distance having uninstalled the app. Recently I was upgraded to version 1.45.2, and much to my surprise I am now apparently using the Premium version. I thought that we would stay on the Pro version, but I can't see any evidence that any money has been asked for or taken through Google Play.

Can those with far more knowledge about this than me spread some light on what is going on please.

pgn

« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2023, 03:41:31 pm »
> Recently I was upgraded to version 1.45.2, and much to my surprise I am now apparently using the Premium version. I thought that we would stay on the Pro version, but I can't see any evidence that any money has been asked for or taken through Google Play.

same here.

but only on the main account of a 'Family' purchase.  the other phone now only offers an upgrade to Premium @ full price, ignoring the 'Family' status of the main account.

i've asked support@: what's going on, why was i upgraded without request/permission to a subscription plan, and how do i revert (yes, all this before finding/reading this thread)

the reply from them was not to provide answers, but request my 'proof of purchase' of a PRO license -- from years ago.

at best, this is *not* a 'good look' for AM.  at worst it's ... well, read the thread

wms

« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2023, 10:47:25 pm »
Why the hell? As if all the fuss wasn't bad enough. Why can't I at least use the Google family payment method for this silly €0.09? Some people want to use a device for which no other payment method is set up or will be set up for some reason.  >:(

Extant

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2023, 11:01:44 am »
I want to thank Aquamail for this mistake. May the change in policy cost you. Like many others I have recommended your email client many times over the years. It seems that lifetime means something different to you than it means to us. BTW: Google Play store now lists the unlocker as to old to work on Aquamail. Funny it seems to be working just fine on my Note20 5G .

phred

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2023, 03:29:18 pm »
Google Play store now lists the unlocker as to old to work on Aquamail. Funny it seems to be working just fine on my Note20 5G .
If you spent some time reading this thread, you would've seen that yes, the old unlocker won't work any longer. But if you're already a Pro user, all you need(ed) to do is update to the latest version of AM via the Play Store and tap the button on the top. You'll have to pay a small amount for the update (in the US it was fifty-nine cents) and then you contact AM support and they refund the amount.

I'm not going to go into all the details here since you can find it yourself in this thread.

I will note that I updated on my phone and then again on my tablet. When doing the tablet update, I wasn't asked to pay again.

EDIT: Typo
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:09:59 am by phred »

Boothy

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2023, 04:02:16 pm »
....and after updating my wife's AquaMail app (which is on the Family Library), a prompt to stay on Pro for 9p appeared for her too - which we paid and all working as expected (now we're both on AquaMail / no subscription)
AquaMail Pro
Google Pixel 6 - android 13
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 - android 10

chris122380

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2023, 07:19:36 pm »
I want to thank Aquamail for this mistake. May the change in policy cost you. Like many others I have recommended your email client many times over the years. It seems that lifetime means something different to you than it means to us. BTW: Google Play store now lists the unlocker as to old to work on Aquamail. Funny it seems to be working just fine on my Note20 5G .

Just because the old unlocker is working now doesn't mean it will continue to work if you'd bother to read the forum or information put out by Aquamail you would know that the unlocker will quit working sometime in or after September.

eheartshine

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2023, 02:07:48 am »
I have to be careful not to accidentally upgrade from version 1.44.2 to stave off annoyances.

Interesting that various users seem to have been converted to Premium without a subscription, however.

Maybe Aqua Mail's owners are testing a plan to do the right thing after all.

Can but hope.
If it helps, this is the APK I've been using (I know the domain looks sketch; this is my personal Nextcloud file server hosting the APK scraped straight from the Play Store) in case an upgrade slips through. You can downgrade using ADB:

If that doesn't work (or you don't know how to use ADB), backing up your settings and accounts (AM Settings > Data storage > Backup & restore), uninstalling, then reinstalling the downgraded APK works fine too.

If you don't trust my domain (totally fine), the APK is also available on APKMirror.

Good point. Thanks!

I can actually back up my own installed app using either Total Commander or ML Manager APK Extractor, just in case.

(It's a split APK, incidentally; and in the Total Commander forum there's an official downloadable version of that app which retains the ability to easily install APKs after Google's AI decided the functionality wasn't allowed in the Play Store.)
Lulz my post was deleted and your quote edited to hide instructions on how to downgrade, which is a core functionality of Android and readily available online.

ShEV

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2023, 08:13:00 am »
1. Tap "Stay Pro" and wait for further instructions in the following days for transferring to a lifetime Pro license in the Aqua Mail app.
I once bought AquaMail Pro. Now, in order to activate a one-time purchase, I have to pay a one-time payment. I live in Russia, so there is no way to pay. How can I migrate my Pro license?

chris122380

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2023, 03:32:37 pm »
1. Tap "Stay Pro" and wait for further instructions in the following days for transferring to a lifetime Pro license in the Aqua Mail app.
I once bought AquaMail Pro. Now, in order to activate a one-time purchase, I have to pay a one-time payment. I live in Russia, so there is no way to pay. How can I migrate my Pro license?

You can thank Vladimir Putin and his unlawful war with Ukraine. That means your money isn't good anywhere right now.

Boga

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2023, 04:47:01 pm »
I have to be careful not to accidentally upgrade from version 1.44.2 to stave off annoyances.

Interesting that various users seem to have been converted to Premium without a subscription, however.

Maybe Aqua Mail's owners are testing a plan to do the right thing after all.

Can but hope.
If it helps, this is the APK I've been using (I know the domain looks sketch; this is my personal Nextcloud file server hosting the APK scraped straight from the Play Store) in case an upgrade slips through. You can downgrade using ADB:

If that doesn't work (or you don't know how to use ADB), backing up your settings and accounts (AM Settings > Data storage > Backup & restore), uninstalling, then reinstalling the downgraded APK works fine too.

If you don't trust my domain (totally fine), the APK is also available on APKMirror.

Good point. Thanks!

I can actually back up my own installed app using either Total Commander or ML Manager APK Extractor, just in case.

(It's a split APK, incidentally; and in the Total Commander forum there's an official downloadable version of that app which retains the ability to easily install APKs after Google's AI decided the functionality wasn't allowed in the Play Store.)
Lulz my post was deleted and your quote edited to hide instructions on how to downgrade, which is a core functionality of Android and readily available online.

Don't worry, I don't know what happened to your post but there's no conspiracy with my reply. My account is too new to post links (a spam prevention measure) so I just edited the quote down to essentials so that SMF would stop complaining and it would still make sense iirc.

Boga

« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2023, 03:50:15 pm »
Then the ratings would no doubt climb again, since another bit of received business wisdom is that happy customers spread the word.

On the other hand -- #noconspiracywhatsoever -- over 20 people suddenly *cough* decided Aqua Mail was worth a 5* Google Play Store review on 27th & 28th August... for rather vaguely stated reasons often involving longstanding usage...

So the *cough* miraculous recovery of ratings may already be *cough* organically under way.