Author Topic: store emails definitely  (Read 6349 times)

NouseForaname

store emails definitely
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:42:53 pm »
I'm using the pro version.

Though I didn't change any of the default settings,  I lost some important mails. What a mess  :(
Maybe I lost them for the very reason that I didn't change the default settings?

How can I be sure that mails are stored definitely in my device, if I don't delete them manually?

I like the app very much, , but this problem caused trouble to me.

In the past I worked with the Apple Mail application on a stationary system. Apple Mail stores every mail definitely, so I have to get familiar with another handling of storing mails.

Now I cancelled any of the setting in Aqua Mail Pro, which concern about deleting mails, but that's quite not a good working mode, of course...

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: store emails definitely
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:26 am »
Hi,

What do you mean by losing mail? Can you log into web mail and see if the messages are there?

I assume by "definitely" you mean "indefinitely"....

Yes, desktops mail apps can store tens or hundreds of megabytes of data, and it won't bother anyone.

Two settings in my app that affect what you see, both under "Options and Folders" for each account (long press an account to open):

1 - "Messages per page" is how many recent messages the app keeps up to date, per folder, every time it checks mail. For IMAP accounts, this is how many you will see when opening its message list.

2 - "Messages to keep" is how many recent messages the app stored on the device. When you scroll down a message list, to go to page 2, etc, these will be used to speed up the sync.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

rushabhs

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »
Hello,

I have a similar question. Is there a way to store a selected mail indefinitely?

I love the app but I require to store some emails indefinitely. I travel a lot and at times I store my etickets or similar information on my emails. I would like there to be an option where I could mark mails I select that would be saved indefinitely till I choose delete them from my device.

Most BB converts would appreciate this feature as it is a widely used feature in a BB

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 02:26:26 am »
Well there is no way that you can store emails indefenetly in the meaning of the word. If you delete am email its gone.
What i do is to mark an important email as "Starred". They will than appear in the starred folder.
Other possibility is to export the email into an text app or an other text app like catch or Evernote.

P.S. A "Park feature" as i have it in my Windows email app would be nice. Meaning the email can  only be deleted when the Park attribute is removed from the email.

rushabhs

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:28:44 am »
That is what I meant.  :)

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:13 pm »
Problem is when you have an IMAP account and delete the email on the web or third desktop email application.
Any way i have confirmation before deleting enabled and put important emails into starred folder. That is my kind of workaround for now.

gmeadows

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:30 pm »
Ok, I need some "clarrification".  Just started using Aqua, (great product so far), and am "confused" about the retention of emails back to the server.  If the application is set for say 250 messages per page, and the server has 3,500 in that particular folder (let's use the Inbox to keep it simple), does that mean that:

1). You'll see 250 messages max by scrolling down the app listing?

2). At the bottom of the scroll, it will load more of the messages from the server?

3). It will DELETE from the server messages it doesn't display/load in the page?

I'm trying to get a handle on the message number limitations/options.  If in either the Messages pre page, OR the Messages Per Folder setting, that number is exceeded, and the local copy is trimmed to fit that number, are the messages that are TRIMMED, also TRIMMED/DELETED from the server side?

If the ARE deleted when that Per Folder Limit is reached, can there be an option to only delete local copies (to make space, I'm sure), but NEVER delete the original from the server?

Would it be possible for storage space issues, to just keep headers above a certain number of messages for historical needs, and if you need to view that ancient email, then pull the body for that message only from the server when requested?  Sort of a Download Header Only mode above a certain number of messages, OR beyond a certain time?  Say "Headers Only after X Days", and Alpha would automagically manage that?

Thanks, again, great product, will be purchasing the Pro Version.  I'm only using this on one account for testing at this point.  Will move over Gmail, Comcast (they now have IMAP in Beta), and 3 other personal accounts to keep track of.  This is on a Galaxy S3 on Sprint, so data usage is not an issue <smile>.

Glenn Meadows

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:30:13 pm »
The answer is simple.
Non of the configuration you mentioned above will touch or delete any email on your cellphone or server. They only change how emails are displayed and how many are locally stored and shown.

You can limit the KB of attachments which are downloaded for each email in firsts place.
In case of IMAP you can do so in "Options and folders" - IMAP preload and IMAP,other

Again nothing will be deleted until your self do so!!!

gmeadows

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:35:10 pm »
Thanks Thomas, just wasn't sure about that, wanted to make sure.

Appreciate the quick response.

Glenn Meadows