Author Topic: Rich text disappears during save/reopen/forward  (Read 5405 times)

ThomasN

• Thomas
Rich text disappears during save/reopen/forward
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:43:14 pm »
Rich text formatting (bold, italics etc.) disappears during save/reopen/forward, very annoying!

StR

Re: Rich text disappears during save/reopen/forward
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:33:48 am »
Could you, please, clarify  first a few things:
What messages are you talking about: when talking about "save/reopen": incoming,  or those that you are composing?

I suspect it's the latter. If so, could you tell us what you actually do? Are you trying to edit some html-formatted messages/text created in a different app/program?
If so, Aquamail cannot edit formatting created elsewhere.

Now, about forwarded messages:  when you are forwarding a message,  Aquamail attaches it as is to preserve its formatting . But if you are starting editing that message, IIRC, it strips off all formatting,  as it  cannot deal with richer  HTML formatting.

I am guessing here about your situation,  so please describe it in more detail,  if I guessed incorrectly.

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:11:18 pm »
Hi,

I am talking about a newly created message in Aquamail, where I select "Switch to rich text" i the menu.

Thomas

StR

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:29:38 am »
Could you please describe your actions step by step and what happens, and what you expected to happen?

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:04:28 am »
Screenshots attached.

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:05 am »
Sorry, here is the first screenshot, with the rich text before it got lost.

StR

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:55:29 am »
First of all, if you intend yo continue writing your message, you should edit the message in Drafts folder, not forward it.
Does that work as expected? I.e., does it keep the previous formatting?

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:54:02 pm »
Yes I always edit in draft folder, and for longer more complex messages I go back and forth several times. That's what I meant with save/reopen in my initial post. This is typically when formatting gets lost, but I've noticed it also happens if I later forward the message to someone.

StR

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 02:15:16 am »
Then you shouldn't see the headers as in your screenshot. When you forward a message,  Aquamail will either send it as an attachment (I believe) , but if you start editing it, it drops the formatting.

Also, if your default setting is to write plaintext messages (you can change that), when you open the message in Drafts,  you probably choose "rich text" again....
That seems to work for me. I just tested.

And just in case: What version of Aquamail do you have?

ThomasN

• Thomas
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:41:19 am »
I've got version 1.6.2.9. Seems to help to change default setting to Rich text Or Automatic  (although needs to be tested more, the behaviour I've reported when default is Plain and I switch to Rich each time has not been consistent).

StR

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:52 pm »
I am glad you were able to find the setting that takes care of this problem for you.

I have an earlier version of Aquamail, and I cannot replicate what you experienced. I think Kostya might take a look at the behavior you described in case something related to rich-text formatting was changed in on of the recent versions.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 11:45:12 pm »
When the "text format" setting is "plain" then yes, forwarding / replying *will* remove formatting even from the quoted (original) message.

This is working as intended, as requested by users -- some of which would like to be able to write a completely "plain" response to "formatted" messages (if they are).
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/