Author Topic: Reducing Notifcations on Lockscreen.  (Read 12377 times)

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Reducing Notifcations on Lockscreen.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:30 pm »
Re: phones display turns on & sound on every mail

To avoid repeated sounds, please enable "sound only once" in Aqua Mail settings. I hope Huawei's EMUI still respects that standard setting.

For "display turns on", Aqua Mail has a setting, and it's off by default, and not supported on Android 6.0+. Is it a Huawei "enhancement"?
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

StR

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »
That's a well documented situation.
I might be missing some other configuration, but to me, it sounds like a bug.

I have it configured like that (but without sound and turning the screen on - but those shouldn't matter), so, I just tried to turn on the sound and the screen turned on, - to replicate your settings (including sound for each message).  (I tend to turn off most of the notification sounds on my devices: phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.)

I can say that I can replicate the situation described by you. And it sounds (excuse my pun) like a bug.

I'd wait for Kostya to comment on this situation.

@Kostya:
In my case, I kept my scheduled sync on, turned on Push (IMAP) for the Inbox.
For this test I had:
Under Message notifications:
Enabled Sound
Disabled Play sound only once
Enabled Turn screen on
Notify about : New unread messages
(the two disabled options, including  "change of status" had check mark next to them, but that shouldn't matter, right?)

Vibration turned off (this might be important, I don't know)
LED notifications enabled (I don't think that matters).

Special account settings (Notifications) were turned off for this account for this test.

(I have "manage per account" but that should not affect it. BTW: there is a superfluous dash in "per account" in the name of the option.)
I tested this with 1.6x AM version on a 4.1.2 Android (Droid Razr M).

Test:
2 or more new unread messages. Notification from AM shows both (or however many there are).
When one of those new unread message is read in Thunderbird (IMAP+IDLE) and its status changes to "read", a notification (sound, screen on) appears in Aquamail (the new message count changes accordingly).

Expected:
No notifications on change of message status in this case.

StR

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 10:53:17 pm »
Re: phones display turns on & sound on every mail

To avoid repeated sounds, please enable "sound only once" in Aqua Mail settings. I hope Huawei's EMUI still respects that standard setting.

No, the problem (see my latest response) is that they turns on on the message status change.

Cimba

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
@StR: THANK YOU SO MUCH for your best effort, to readjust my problem!

That is it, what I mean, I think, it is a bug, but you have explain it better and detailed.

Edit: That is, what I want to write befor your good explanation:

@Kostya Vasilyev: Yes, you mentioned that "sound only once" thing already and that would in principle also a solution, but only in the case when I'm in the office, but not for the rest of the day when I am on the road:

And the "sound only once" option, which can possible solve this special behaviour is also a big problem for me in other cases, when I am away from the PC, because in noisy enviroments, I hear possibly the notification for the first new mail not and until then, I become no further sound notifications from other new mails, that is a problem for me.

The "display on" thing is for me not so relevant, when it is a Honor or Android 6 thing, the real problem is the repeated sound.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:07:05 pm by Cimba »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:05 am »
Oh, I see now.

Well, since your needs are so specific -- how about using Tasker to drive Aqua Mail's settings and turn off its notifications completely, when Tasker detects that your phone is connected to the office WiFi?

Checking the code, it should also work if you enable "only when new messages", but that will also suppress the sound when you're *not* at the office, and there are no *new* emails *in that particular mail check*.

In other words, there will be a sound when the app receives a new message, but if 15 minutes later, there are no "new new" messages, then there won't be.

StR

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 03:17:42 am »
Kostya, but why does Aquamail produce notifications for the change-of-status notifications while those should be effectively disabled (only "new unread messages" option is enabled)?

Checking the code, it should also work if you enable "only when new messages", but that will also suppress the sound when you're *not* at the office, and there are no *new* emails *in that particular mail check*.

But that option (If I understand you correctly, you are talking about "Notify about"=All Unread Messages, and then + "Only when new messages"), - will notify you about all unread messages, not just the new once. I.e. if you've got one new message, instead of the notification for that, you are going to get a notification: "135 unread messages".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:36:10 am by StR »

Cimba

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 12:25:01 pm »
Well, since your needs are so specific
Special maybe, but I think not so, because every other Mail app does this, what I want (but have more other problems) and I want rather nothing special, but only working existing options. Even StR means, that the actual behavior from his setup is a simple glitch.

how about using Tasker to drive Aqua Mail's settings and turn off its notifications completely, when Tasker detects that your phone is connected to the office WiFi?
I should use tasker to avoiding an glitch in AM? For a single problem, I should use tasker? Sorry, but that sounds crazy!

And for several reasons, the "Work-WiFi = notification off" is not an option for me, one is: I work at a University with a big Campus and the whole Campus has the same WiFi and I work also outside the office and than, I need the mail notification. And I am not the only person, that works so, but I am the only person, which tries here with best effort, to solve/explain a glitch in AM, but I don't know, why, but it seems hard to satisfy you, to accept the notification issue in AM (and how it seems, that is not really only a primarily EMUI thing).

In other words, there will be a sound when the app receives a new message, but if 15 minutes later, there are no "new new" messages, then there won't be.
I don't know, why I must repeat me again and again (and it's not so easy for me, because writing in english is not so easy for me):

How I wrote in Threat from March 22, 2017, 04:26:59: this IS my actual configuration, but in this config, there is also a problem with repeated "fake" notifications (but thanks god without sound, but still irritating), when (how StR explains me in thread March 22, 2017, 04:59:58 pm) AM makes a Imap-Idle resync.

AM then refreshes the notification also and the display goes on (with no sound). Also (to simulate the problem faster) when I don't go befor in AM and press at the Widget the reload button, the AM-banner comes every time, when there is only the same unread/new Mail(s).

And how I wrote in Threat March 22, 2017, 06:00:23 pm: I don't understand, why Aquamail don't save in this case the "new mail" count befor a resync and when after resync the count is the same, than don't refresh the notification, because I think, AM does not make this at the moment, otherwise, this would not happened.

mikeone

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:28 pm »
Oh, I see now.

Well, since your needs are so specific -- how about using Tasker to drive Aqua Mail's settings and turn off its notifications completely, when Tasker detects that your phone is connected to the office WiFi?

@Cimba,Maybe you had overlooked this parts of Kostya's post  8)

Cimba

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 12:08:26 am »
Sorry, but have I now something missunderstand, or what do you mean?

What do you want to tell me now, I do not really understand that now, sorry.

mikeone

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 12:14:57 am »
Sorry, but have I now something missunderstand, or what do you mean?

What do you want to tell me now, I do not really understand that now, sorry.
Kostya has indicated that he will look at the code to check if something needs to be fixed.
So, please allow him some time. Thank you.

Cimba

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 12:17:08 am »
OH! OK! Than I have his posting really totally missunderstand, than a big sorry for my little angry post!

mikeone

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 12:20:35 am »
OH! OK! Than I have his posting really totally missunderstand, than a big sorry for my little angry post!
No problem.  :)

StR

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 04:20:08 am »
@Cimba,Maybe you had overlooked this parts of Kostya's post  8)

Kostya has indicated that he will look at the code to check if something needs to be fixed.
So, please allow him some time. Thank you.

@mikeone:
The way I read the quoted Kostya's phrase is different from yours.
At least from that blue sentence, it does not follow that "he will look at the code to check if something needs to be fixed." Rather, it sounds that while looking at the code (yesterday), he made an observation that allowed him to make the suggestion to @Cimba, as quoted above.
(Never mind the dangling participle - even native English speakers make that mistake frequently.)

Having said that, I am still hoping that Kostya will take a look at this issue once he gets a bit more time, as it looks like he's been busy on the development front and other new issues.

@Cimba: while Kostya had misunderstood the issue originally, it looks like he understands the issue at this point.
However, it might happen that this bug will never be fixed, as it affects very few people in, evidently, infrequent combination of configuration options. With that, it might not be a high priority. (Microsoft, Google, etc. have large number of bugs in their software that never get fixed. )
Kostya offered you some ideas of possible workarounds in case something might be helpful. If they wouldn't work for you, - nobody is forcing you to use them.
Absolutely perfect software doesn't exist (except, maybe, for totally useless). So, I'd suggest: relax and enjoy Aquamail despite this bug: it is still better then most of the mail apps, and I'd argue one of the best Android apps in general.

PS. @Cimba: If I were you, I'd feel a bit of pride that you've discovered one of the "zero-day" bugs, i.e. a bug that had been in the app for very long time without being noticed., in the part of the code that was probably thought to be bug-free by now.  ;)

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »
Re: I should use tasker to avoiding an glitch in AM? For a single problem, I should use tasker? Sorry, but that sounds crazy!

No, I thought you might *consider* using Tasker to solve the issue at the root -> no notifications at all (no sounds at least) when you're at the office.

Re: And for several reasons, the "Work-WiFi = notification off" is not an option for me, one is: I work at a University with a big Campus and the whole Campus has the same WiFi and I work also outside the office and than, I need the mail notification.

Did you write above that your needs are simple, nothing complicated? :)

Re: it seems hard to satisfy you, to accept the notification issue in AM

At this point we don't have *the* issue (singular).

We have a thorny combination of your needs, my suggestions, and a bug or several in between, or what may look like a bug to you.

I offered a certain combination of settings (enable "sound only once"), but you said it wouldn't work for you, since you do want repeated sounds while you're not at the office.

And you also rejected the idea of tweaking your Aqua Mail notification settings using Tasker.

---

At this point you're not getting repeat sounds when you're marking messages as read, correct?

That's good, it's better than what you had before, is it not?

And then, notifications do have to update when the unread count changes -- if a notification was posted for 10 unread messages, and you marked 7 as read, then notification should update to 3 and not be left at 10, don't you agree?

And I have no idea, sorry, why your screen lights up when AQM posts a notification. This one thing has to be a Huawei "enhancement".

Finally, your English seems perfectly fine to me, I'm not a native English speaker either.

Cimba

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 03:58:15 pm »
OK, i accept, this is all not so simple, inclusive the english conversation understanding ;)

A few things maybe at the end of this:

Did you write above that your needs are simple, nothing complicated? :)
How I wrote, I came from Windows Mobile and from there, all works as needed, so I thought, it's only a simple thing ;)

At this point we don't have *the* issue (singular).

We have a thorny combination of your needs, my suggestions, and a bug or several in between, or what may look like a bug to you.
OK, I see, maybe I have the luck in the future, that you solve/improve the things round about that  ;)

At this point you're not getting repeat sounds when you're marking messages as read, correct?
Yes, with "Notify about" = All unread messages" AND "Only when new mesages", there is no sound, when I read the mails on the PC (but with the "display on" thing. Ok, with that I can live, and so I see more of the changing Lock screen pics, that are really nice - and yes, this is definite a Honor thing ;) )

And then, notifications do have to update when the unread count changes -- if a notification was posted for 10 unread messages, and you marked 7 as read, then notification should update to 3 and not be left at 10, don't you agree?
Oh ... yes ... now I see the problem ... refresh the count (up or down) and don't turn on display may not really possible (but I already don't understand, why upcount = sound and down count = no sound, there must any difference there), but remember... ->

And I have no idea, sorry, why your screen lights up when AQM posts a notification. This one thing has to be a Huawei "enhancement".
-----> the strange thing, how I see this, is the following: when AM resyncs the IMAP Push Idle, the display turns on and shows the AM notification without change of the count of the unread mails. OK, this "display on" might be this Honor thing and also with that, I can (but a little bit worser) live, while I see this as a "reminder", that there are still unread mails.

But when the mobile is unlocked and I am in a random app (or on Start Screen and AM resyncs, there comes the banner (screenshot) with the repeated notification and thats yet a little bit annoying, because I don't know in this situation, if there is now really a new mail incomming, or ist it only the repeated notification because of the resync and actual this can not be a Honor thing.

In this screenshot case, I have only pressed the Resync circle in AM for faster simulation, and every time, I press the Resync circle (also on the widget), this banner comes up.

How I wrote, maybe this glitch is faster and easier to correct in the AM code like this way:
In my eyes, Aquamail should save the "unread mail" count before a resync and when after resync the count is the same, than don't refresh/address the notification function of AM.

Maybe you can comply me this litte wish in the near future ;)

Finally, your English seems perfectly fine to me, I'm not a native English speaker either.
Thanks, Google helps me a lot to this ;)

And thanks again for the (StR, mikeone and your) patience.