Author Topic: Archiving Messages With Gmail  (Read 26443 times)

StR

Re: Archiving Messages With Gmail
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 11:39:53 pm »
Alright, it's something I want to do, actually support "sync but don't notify" as a proper setting.

Great!

While you working on it, would you, please, consider also adding an option: "pin (to the list) but don't sync"?

It should be the simplest to implement... (but I understand that you might decide not to overload that long list of option.)

Thanks for listening and considering!

PS. Actually, it looks like each folder should have a 3-column matrix of attributes (at least internally):
1. Sync or not
2. Pin or not (e.g. Spam and Archive are not pinned)
3. Special mapping/functionality ( {Sent,Deleted,Drafts},Spam,Archive )

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 01:19:36 am »
I'll see how it might fit into the existing database schema.

Changing db schema is very easy, there is a special function for it.

Trouble is, if it takes more than a second or two, Android might kill the process, and then the database might get corrupted and deleted by Android system code from under the app.

And then I get emails like "AquaMail lost all my message after the update".
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

rdelarie

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 11:02:29 am »
Thanks so much for addressing this issue!

StR

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 11:33:41 pm »
I understand.
Thank you, and no pressure ... (For now, for 1 most frequent folder I am living with the archive designation.)

nica

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 02:38:45 pm »
Hi, I am a new user - purchased AquaMail because of the new conversation view for Gmail. (Thanks, btw). But I encountered a problem with my configuration regarding archives mails.

Situation in Gmail:
There are some filters working in Gmail, which set labels to most of my incoming mails. In webinterface and in Gmail app I open the inbox and will see the colored labels beneath the mails (in mail list and in message view). Perfect.

Problem in AquaMail:

In Inbox I don't see any labels. Only in Smart Folder I can see one label (folder) for each mail. Unfortunately only the inbox label (folder) is mentioned and not the label which was assigned by filter.

This means, that I have to open every folder in order to check, if the filter has assigned the right label. Annoying.

- Is it possible to have displayed more than one label/folder for each mail?
- Or is it possible showing in box other label/folder for each mail?

(BTW: I don't want to skip the inbox in Gmail, I need seeing the mails in inbox in web interface).

Thanks

StR

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:47 pm »
First of all, - Gmail labels correspond to folders in any non-Google mail programs that use IMAP for connection (but it looks like you've figured that our already).
I suspect that what you need to do is to configure which folders are synced. Read FAQ ( http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227 ), item "How do I access server side folders?".

While I don't use Smart Folder myself, - I just checked, and it does show new messages from other folders that are synced.

If I understood your problem correctly, this should do what you want.

nica

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
Thanks for response.

But syncing settings does not seem to be the problem. Let me show an example:

There may be a incoming message "Testmail", my Gmail filter assign a label called "Abo".
Now in Gmail web interface and in Gmail app the message can be found under 3 labels:
- Inbox
- Abo
- All messages
Entering the inbox I can see, that the label "Abo" was assigned correctly (see 1st screenshot). So when I archive the mail, I can be sure to find it in label "Abo". Fine.

In AquaMail the mail should be found in three folders, syncing works for me, by the way .
But if I enter the folder "Inbox", I can not see, which other label is assigned (means in AquaMail: which other folder contains the mail, too)

Entering the "Smart Folder", I'm happy that another label (means in AquaMail: folder) is shown (see 2nd screenshot). But it shows only one label/folder, the inbox. I can not see, that the Mail is also in the folder "Abo". It is not displayed.

So I have to enter the folder "Abo" to check, wether the mail is there. This has to be done for every mail - very annoying.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:47:53 pm by nica »

StR

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 11:07:54 pm »
As I wrote previously, there is no concept of labels outside Gmail (at least in Aquamail and other IMAP-based mail clients). So, as soon as you are outside of Gmail's realm, you are dealing with folders.
When withing Gmail a message has more than one label, it means that in the outside world the message is found in three separate folders. Within an IMAP-based e-mail client, those would be three separate copies of the message. If you have enabled the conversation mode, then in Smart Folder you will see a conversation that would contain three identical messages in one conversation, each residing in its respective folder. It will not be a single message with the folders labeled.
When within Gmail's web-interface you add an additional label, that creates a copy in the corresponding IMAP folder.

This is not a limitation of Aquamail. It is how IMAP works.
You can read more on this by following these links:
https://goo.gl/cEm3hD

I hope this clarifies how it works and will allow you to adjust your workflow accordingly.

mikeone

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:25 pm »
Thanks to StR providing the "link" to Google's search.

There I found this very helpful review:
http://www.twigtechnology.com/blog/2014/02/10/understanding-gmail-imap/
Very good and clear explanations... and statements like:
"Gmail's not Email", "However, labels are not folders.",...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:26:49 pm by mikeone »

nica

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:00 pm »
Sorry, this is not what I am writing about, misunderstanding.

There is no problem with IMAP folders, the example "Testmail" exists in AquaMail three times, in inbox folder, in "Abo" folder and in "All messages" folder.
And there is no problem with conversation view, which works like a charm.

There is an option in settings for Smart Folder, you can enable showing account and folder name for each message.
The problem is, that displaying is limited to only one folder.

So it is an issue of user interface, not of syncing.

mikeone

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 11:37:37 pm »
As far as I know that is how Gmail provides (labeled) messages for IMAP:
In IMAP, a message lived in only one folder at a time, and it is either in the Inbox, the Sent Mail folder or your recipe collection, but never in all of them.
In Gmail this message exists just as one physical message,  but with different labels.  Therefore this (single) message will be shown in different "folders" (labels).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:32:41 am by mikeone »

nica

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2015, 11:56:49 pm »
In IMAP, a message lived in only one folder at a time, and it is either in the Inbox, the Sent Mail folder or your recipe collection, but never in all of them.
This is not right for me.

Because Gmail filter assigned label BEFORE syncing, and each folder will be synced separately, messages will be multiplied. I can find copies of the mail in all folders. In AquaMail. (Of course in gmail platform  the message exists only once.

And I just would like to see in message list, which other folder contains the other "copies" of a message.
Sorry for bad explanations in english.

StR

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 01:33:54 am »
nica:

Your English is clear.
It is just that what you want to see in an e-mail app is not possible. And it is not the issue of UI. Rather, it is the limitation of the IMAP protocol that was not designed for Gmail's "innovations". IMAP protocol does not have a provision for transferring information about "labels". Thus, all copies of the message with multiple label become independent in the IMAP-based e-mail client.

While in principle, it is possible to recreate this link between multiple copies within the client by doing some "detective work", i.e. identifying and matching messages in different folders, I am not aware of any current mail app (or even desktop application) that is able to do that.

nica

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 08:01:44 am »
Yes, yoir last paragraph describes what I would like to see.

And AquaMail does already this "detective work" as far as I see; AquaMail is able to combine messages from different folders (!) ny subject to one conversation. Why not use such "detective work" for another feature? ;)

StR

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2015, 09:16:00 am »
Why not use such "detective work" for another feature? ;)

I cannot speak for Kostya, Aquamail sole developer.
I can make some guesses:
1. That is an "expensive" feature (takes too much memory/CPU/... to do the work properly)
2. It is a feature related to only one, albeit major, e-mail provider, Gmail, while there are many other features applicable across the board with a higher priority to get implemented.