Author Topic: Share Defaults  (Read 4074 times)

milligandw

Share Defaults
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »
Since installing AquaMail, when I click the Share icon in my browser, for example, my Favorite Contacts are defaulting to AquaMail on the OS share bar, i.e., the AqualMail icon is embedded in their photos/avatars.

My preference is to have my Favorite Contacts default to Verizon Message+, which is how it worked when I was using Gmail.

How do I change the default app for my Favorite Contacts on the OS share bar?

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Share Defaults
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »
I believe Android has its own logic here, at some point it asks AquaMail to provide the suggestions for that list and it does.

Will write it down to make this feature optional.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

StR

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:27:39 pm »
I believe Android has its own logic here, at some point it asks AquaMail to provide the suggestions for that list and it does.

But isn't it just the case that AquaMail would be one of several on that list.
The fact that it is default in case of the OP means that the OP once chose that options and clicked on "always". So, that's how Aquamail became registered in Android as the default helper for that task.

But probably, I am misunderstanding something,  :-[ as I am not sure how sharing from a browser brings up "Favorite Contacts" in play.

milligandw

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:39:53 pm »
To explain further how it works, imagine a typical share bar with options icons for text,  email,  evernote,  etc. And also included in the list are contacts they were marked as "Favorite"  in the Contacts application.  And those favorite contacts are defaulting to AquaMail instead of the text application or the last app used to share with that contact.

Hope this helps!  :)

StR

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:17:57 am »
And also included in the list are contacts they were marked as "Favorite"  in the Contacts application.
I've tried that in a few different apps, including two different web browsers (Opera and Chrome), - and I am missing "Favorites". Maybe because I don't have anybody marked as "Favorite"?

milligandw

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 01:22:11 am »
It maybe a feature that's unique to Samsung Galaxy S5 OS 6.0.

Update: Also, to further explain, the favorite contacts aren't actually labeled "Favorites" on the Share Bar, but rather the list of contacts are simply designated as such in the Contacts application. One of the contacts in the list is someone that I rarely send mail or texts to, so I know it's not based on the frequency of sharing with or sending to a particular contact. In other words, the list of contacts on the Share Bar matches the list of Contacts that are marked as Favorites in my Contacts application.

See attached screenshot for an example of how this presents on the Share Bar...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:43:24 am by milligandw »

StR

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 06:10:22 am »
It maybe a feature that's unique to Samsung Galaxy S5 OS 6.0.

Update: Also, to further explain, the favorite contacts aren't actually labeled "Favorites" on the Share Bar, but rather the list of contacts are simply designated as such in the Contacts application. One of the contacts in the list is someone that I rarely send mail or texts to, so I know it's not based on the frequency of sharing with or sending to a particular contact. In other words, the list of contacts on the Share Bar matches the list of Contacts that are marked as Favorites in my Contacts application.

See attached screenshot for an example of how this presents on the Share Bar...

I just looked at another person's  Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 6.0 on it, and there is nothing like that there. I am not sure if that person actually has something under "Favorites" in Contacts or not (probably not). So, in that "Share bar", there is Aquamail, but nothing else from it.

Based on your description and snapshot and on Kostya's response (which I understand better now), - I am guessing that when there are entries in the contacts that are marked as "Starred" (I just recalled that it can be done in my phone's "People" (stock contacts app), and I remember that Aquamail actually has an action for a message "forward to starred"), - then those contacts are offered as separate and direct options to share with them via Aquamail.

In this scenario, my earlier thoughts in this thread are incorrect, as there is probably nothing set as the "default" app for the particular sharing action. But then, I am confused by the statement that those "Favorites" have replaced "Verizon Message+". I am guessing that you probably mean tthat previously the same "Favorites" were listed under "Share", but with the default actions for them being Verizon Message+ instead of Aquamail. Right?
I guess, Kostya has some solution for that (adding a config option in Aquamail). But I would be curious how that same thing can be changed at the system settings level. It looks like one app can block another one and the user cannot change that... that's strange... Or, maybe there is something new for that in Android 6.x?

milligandw

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:23:02 am »
StR - Yes, your description of issue ( I am guessing that you probably mean tthat previously the same "Favorites" were listed under "Share", but with the default actions for them being Verizon Message+ instead of Aquamail.) is close, except for a minor difference. 

On occasion a different set of contacts are listed (not sure what effects the change), but with the default action being Verizon Message+. And when that occurs, the contacts appear to be my most frequently texted contacts, which I believe was always the case before installing AquaMail. 

The primary reason why this is an issue is because I mostly share Web links via text as opposed to email.  So when my favorite contacts default to AquaMail, I have tap the Verizon+ icon and then select my contact, which adds an extra step. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:29:59 am by milligandw »