Author Topic: Inconsistent downloading to phone and email client  (Read 5767 times)

jg

Inconsistent downloading to phone and email client
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:12:20 am »
I had AquaMail set up with a POP server on my old email account, and it worked perfectly after some tweaking of settings.  Then I changed ISPs and went with Gmail.  When I added the Gmail account, I copied all the account settings that had worked for me before.  I did the same thing with my PC email client (Windows Live Mail).  However, now I'm finding some messages download to my PC client only, some to my phone only, and some to both.  I can't seem to figure out what causes which scenario, and all messages show on the Gmail server.  Does anyone know a solution?

jg

Re: Inconsistent downloading to phone and email client
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:27:47 am »
Thanks for your response.  I have been using POP for reasons I'll explain below, but I would be happy to have an enhanced experience using IMAP if it would allow me to do what I want to do with both my phone and pc client.  So, here are the answers to your questions:

1. I have 2 accounts in AquaMail right now.  One of them is no longer active, but I have not yet removed the account because there are some emails in it that I still need to refer to on my phone.  As soon as I no longer need those emails, I would be happy to remove the account.

2. I receive on average about 10 emails per day on the active account.

3.  Maximum number of received emails per day would be about 35.

4.  Here’s how and why I use POP on my phone.  The way I use mail on my phone is that I like everything to come into both my phone and my PC client.  Then I can delete those things that I don’t need to look at on the phone, knowing that this doesn't affect what’s downloaded to my PC, and I can look at them later when I’m back at my computer.  On the other hand, emails which contain information I might need on the road I like to keep on my phone and have a way to find them easily even if I’m not on-line.  If I don’t delete anything on my phone, the in-box will get filled up with things I don’t need to see (especially since I’ve set AquaMail to bcc me on things I send from my phone) and will make it hard to find the things I need when I need them. 

Normally, there are two types of emails I like to have on my phone.  The first are the ones I talked about above, that contain information that I need on the road and might need to access when I’m not on-line.  The second type I like to keep on my phone are messages that I need to respond to one of these days, and I might do it from my PC at home or I might do it from my phone if I find myself killing time, say sitting in a waiting room.  Generally, I get rid of everything else from my phone – both the emails that are dealt with and done, and the emails that I only want to deal with from my PC at home.   On my phone inbox, I star emails that contain information I might need on the road,  and just keep the second type in my inbox where I can find them relatively easily, since I don’t keep much else in my inbox on the phone.

I did try using IMAP with my former email account (the one that’s no longer active),  but I was finding that since the mail client on my laptop at home is always on, messages were never considered “new” on my phone unless I had turned my laptop off, so I wasn’t getting an new mail  notifications.  Also, of course, on IMAP, deleting from my phone deleted them from my server so if my laptop was off, then they didn’t download to my laptop at all.   Changing to POP settings at least solved those two issues.  The drawback of the way I've been doing it, of course, is that I must look at everything twice. 

Sorry to be so wordy.  I just wanted to try to really clarify what and how I was using my phone and pc.  If there's a way to achieve the same goals better than the way I've being doing it, I'd be thrilled. 

brokerbear094

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:24 am »
Hey

jg

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »
Hi Paris Geek - I appreciate you doing this.  Now hat you've led me to the recent:username@gmail.com, things seem to be working well, so I'm not sure it's necessary to change, but if you really think that IMAP might provide a better solution, here are some answers to your latest questions.

I'm not sure I can answer your questions accurately, since I just started the new Gmail account a few weeks ago, so I will combine the answers for my old and new accounts:
A. Maximum number of these important messages kept on your phone at one time
- about 15 (only 8 at the moment)
B. Maximum number of those messages kept on your phone at one time, that you will treat one of these days?
- about 5
C. How many emails are there now in your Inbox and in your Sent box (on your phone)
- New account - 4 inbox, 3 sent
- Old account - 5114 inbox, 324 sent (this is what shows on the Accounts page, it's not what shows up in the actual inbox or sent screens
D. How many emails are there now in your [ Deleted ] folder in AquaMail?
- New account - 67
- Old account - 1022
E. How many emails are there now on your PC? Date of the oldest email stored on your PC?
- Old account - about 19,000 (including 6700 in the deleted file).  Oldest email dates back to 2008.
- New account - about 300.
F. Description of your device: memory, screen size?
- my device is an LG Nexus 4.  It has System memory: 2048 MB RAM and Built-in storage:16 GB.  Display size is 4.7 inches. 

Thanks for your interest.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:18:14 pm »
If you're going to use POP3 with Gmail, please read this:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/47948?hl=en

Gmail's POP3 is "weird by design". Using "recent" mode is the only way to make it work reliably on multiple devices.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

jg

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:22 pm »
Greetings to Paris from Ottawa – These are some very interesting suggestions!  You’ve put a lot of work into solving my issues, which I really appreciate.  I hate to cause you more work, but I have a few questions about your two posts.

“Download and install latest build 
http://www.aqua-mail.com/download/AquaMail-market-1.5.0-pre7.apk [nofollow]

Do I do that directly from the web-site onto my phone?  The only way I know how to load apps is through the Play Store.  Is this a preliminary version (hence the pre suffix), and so not completely stable/thoroughly tested yet?  Does it replace and update the version on my phone or is it in addition to it?

In AquaMail, you say to leave my old account as it is today, and delete my current Gmail account (POP) after I’ve determined that the new set-up works for my needs.  Since I already have 2 accounts, I can’t set up another one without going for the Pro version, which I’m not ready to do yet until I know this works for me.  So, how do I do this?

I think I understand how the procedure you’re suggesting will work for me in AquaMail, and it seems really efficient.  I like it a lot.  But I’m not clear about how this affects my Windows Live Mail interface on my PC.   Will emails still be downloaded to both my phone and Windows Live Mail (WLM)?  I assume that since I would be no longer on POP, I would change back from the “recent” Gmail setting, so I wonder whether that will bring me back to a situation where emails download on one or the other device, but not necessarily both.  That would takes us back to the problem we started with.

Also, I probably should have mentioned this before, I currently have about 65 folders and sub-folders in my WLM.  I’m not clear how the two new folders you’re suggesting I create in Gmail would work vis-à-vis the folders and sub-folders in WLM.  Also, I’m not clear how starring will translate into WLM, which doesn’t seem to have a star system.

Perhaps some of these questions are obvious to you, but having never used Gmail or IMAP before, it’s all new to me.  I’m sorry to be so confused, and to take up so much of your time.  You’re incredibly generous with your time.