Author Topic: Writing new mails  (Read 14678 times)

remek

Writing new mails
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:35:27 pm »
Hello,

I got questions about new mails. When i want to write a mail and i need to write mail add to whom i want send it, the application is not autofill that addres, even i used it many times before? It is annoying. Thanks for reply.

PS Sorry for my english.

mikeone

Re: Writing new mails
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
Hi,
Please check your settings in
> Menu > Settings > Contacts > Default contact picker > choose the first option "Built-in contact picker"

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 09:54:12 pm »
The recipient entry fields fill-in from Android Contacts.

Please consider enabling app settings -> contacts -> Auto-Add.

The FAQ has more info on this.

( using the Recents tab in the app's own contact picker window is another way, thank you @mikeone )
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

remek

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:48:00 am »
Hi,
Please check your settings in
> Menu > Settings > Contacts > Default contact picker > choose the first option "Built-in contact picker"

It doesnt work, i got that option by default.

The recipient entry fields fill-in from Android Contacts.

Please consider enabling app settings -> contacts -> Auto-Add.

The FAQ has more info on this.

( using the Recents tab in the app's own contact picker window is another way, thank you @mikeone )

Ok it does work thanks, but i dont want to have "trash" on my mobile phone by adding to my contacts new mails. I mean i dont want to have a link between Aqua mail and my phone. It seems that Aqua mail isnt self-sufficient aplication.

Davey126

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:45:13 pm »
Re: "It seems that Aqua mail isnt self-sufficient aplication."

It is "self-sufficient" - thousands of AquaMail users would be complaining (vigorously) if they had to maintain a separate contact list for this application. Actually, they probably wouldn't use AquaMail at all with such a restriction.

The problem resides with the contact picker on your device. For whatever reason it is ignoring your primary list of contacts. You would likely see this problem with other email clients as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough in this area to provide meaningful guidance (hopefully someone else will jump in). It's important to understand where the problem resides (your device) to properly troubleshoot.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:58:54 pm by Davey126 »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:12:44 am »
Ok it does work thanks, but i dont want to have "trash" on my mobile phone by adding to my contacts new mails. I mean i dont want to have a link between Aqua mail and my phone. It seems that Aqua mail isnt self-sufficient aplication.

So Gmail "is not a self-sufficient application".

And K9 Mail "is not a self-sufficient application".

And Boxer "is not a self-sufficient application".

Please let them all know.

And while we're at it, should I write a web browser too? So you won't have to open a separate app to view links in email messages?

What about dialing phone numbers?

Sending SMS (from phone numbers found in messages)?

Network connectivity: AquaMail uses the mobile data or WiFi connection that's provided by your phone. How horrible.

---

Back to contacts:

Gmail for web *by default* does exactly this -- saves any email addresses from the messages you send into your Contacts, which then sync to the phone, and it saves to the default (main) contact groups ("My Contacts").

AquaMail does this better, it uses a separate group for these auto-saved contacts, called -- unimaginatively -- "AquaMail".
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

remek

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:36 pm »

AquaMail does this better, it uses a separate group for these auto-saved contacts, called -- unimaginatively -- "AquaMail".

You are right Aquamail does this better but still, when i send just 1 mail to someone, i still get that mail as a new entry in my contacts. I have a job in which i send 30mails a day, sometimes to someone who i will not mail anymore in future. You see my point? After month i will get ~20 new entries in my contact book which i dont want. Im not complaining about Aquamail coz i think it is the best mail app, but it still got large defect for me. I thought there is another solution for my problem. Thanks for interesting my threat.

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:34 pm »
Hi remek,

That's the reason why Kostya had implemented an option in Settings ... to avoid 'trash"in your phone's contacts:

> Menu > Settings > Contacts > scroll down to the very last item and disable (uncheck) "Auto-add contacts"

In the attached screenshot you will see my settings and I feel very comfortable therewith.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:54:53 am by mikeone »

remek

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:05 pm »
Hi remek,

That's the reason why Kostya had implemented an option in Settings ... to avoid 'trash"in your phone's contacts:

> Menu > Settings > Contacts > scroll down to the very last item and disable (uncheck) "Auto-add contacts"

In the attached screenshot you will see my settings and I feel very comfortable with therewith.
 8)

Ye i understand.

You can close that topic, not solved but now i can see how it works. Im not a programmer and i dont know anything about that staff but i hope that sometime owner of that app will think about separate database like outlock on windows. Thanks for interesting and help!

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 12:03:58 am »
Okay,.  However, I'm sure that you are aware that a small app on a mobile device can't get all these features of an application on a desktop pc...  8)

Davey126

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:56 am »
It remains unclear why the primary contact database on the device (synced by Google to all associated devices including desktop) is not being referenced when the OP attempts to address mail as described in the first post. A core reason why I started using AM as some other eMail clients only referenced the local database. Clearly not an AquaMail issue but a curiosity none-the-less. Unless Play Services is not installed or contact syncing is disabled.

Perhaps I misunderstood the core issue.

StR

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 01:01:42 am »
A core reason why I started using AM as some other eMail clients only referenced the local database. Clearly not an AquaMail issue but a curiosity none-the-less. Unless Play Services is not installed or contact syncing is disabled.
Just to comment on this remark:
I actually have the syncing of contacts with Google (and with Skype, etc.) disabled.
I've been looking for a local, private contact database that is not available to any app  that wants to snoop in it (including and in the first place Google). I understand that there are implications and complications on how the contact information can be used in other apps in that case (e.g. to dial a phone or to send an e-mail), but I am sure there could be a smart solution for that, when only the particular piece of information is shared to the outside of the contacts keeper. Unfortunately, I was unable to find such an app.

And with respect to e-mails, I would prefer if the mail app had its own database of contacts that wouldn't disclose information to other apps for the reason described above and a few others. But I understand that I am in a overwhelming minority  with this ::) , as most people do not understand and do not care for their privacy and prefer "convenience". And thus, it would be hard to expect Kostya (or for that matter anybody else) implementing a separate address book.

Davey126

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 01:24:52 am »
...most people do not understand and do not care for their privacy and prefer "convenience".
I agree with this comment and give up a certain amount of privacy for convenience. In the context of AquaMail I have opted to disable 'auto-add' for that very reason. Only those I communicate with frequently make it into my address book. But that exposes them to every other application on my device (unless I tweak permissions) as @StR points out. It's a brave new world that revolves around the loss of privacy. Disturbing - but largely unavoidable short of living under a rock.

mikeone

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 02:44:49 am »
@StR + @Davey126
I found this "privacy cloud" thing, which could be interesting for you guys  8)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smid-pro-cloud-privacy-for-everyone--2#/story
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:17:48 am by mikeone »

Davey126

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 03:39:39 am »
@StR + @Davey126
I found this "privacy cloud" thing, which could be interesting for you guys  8)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smid-pro-cloud-privacy-for-everyone--2#/story
I think we'll see more of this going forward but it will only become mainstream when integrated into the hardware we all use. Be interesting to see where the push back against Apple and Google (default hardware encryption) goes.

On a personal note, anything I care about gets encrypted in transit and rest. I own the keys. That said, nothing I do is hyper confidential so if bad actors crack the encryption in 20 years from now it will only be an annoyance.