Author Topic: Set up account with sending blocked?  (Read 3225 times)

stanf

Set up account with sending blocked?
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »
This forum seems to think email addresses are "external links," although it seems to me that email addresses are pretty relevant in this topic.  So, for the rest of this message, I'll use "#" for the "at" symbol...

I have an email account set up like this:
  let's call it "important#domain.com"
From a variety of other accounts, server-side filters choose certain messages to forward to this account.
So, let's say I have "YouMightBeASpammer#domain1.com" and "MyRealPersonalEmail#domain2.com"
Certain messages that come in on those accounts are forwarded to "important#domain.com"  They might be important, so I check this account frequently.
When I get a message on that account I never, ever want to reply using "important#domain.com"; however, I often forget that I'm reading messages through that account and not through the originating accounts.  I don't want anyone to know about that account, and I don't want senders to one account to know about other accounts I have.  I want to be forced to go to "YouMightBeASpammer#domain1.com" or "MyRealPersonalEmail#domain2.com" and reply to the message from there, with the corresponding "From:" field.

I was originally able to set up "important#domain.com" with the wrong SMTP server/user/password combination, and it failed the test, but I was able to keep those settings anyway.  If I accidentally replied from there, then, I'd get an error message and realize I had tried to send the mail from this "secret" account.  Then I would go to "YouMightBeASpammer#domain1.com" or whatever and (correctly) reply from there.

It doesn't work that way anymore, and I just accidentally sent a message to a potential spammer from my "MyRealPersonalEmail#domain2.com" account, so thanks for this "improvement."

important#domain.com now allows me to send mail using my default account.  I cannot block this behavior.  Using "no outgoing server" sends the message from my default account.  I don't seem to have an option to have no default account.  Setting a bogus server/user/password combination fails the test and *now* I can no longer save it anyway.  I've tried setting it up while in Airplane Mode, I've tried changing the password at the server after setting it up (this works, the SMTP fails but the POP or IMAP also fails so it's not a solution).  I tried setting up a NEW account in AquaMail, then changing the password at the server, so sending and receiving both fail, and set that as my default account, with "important#domain.com" set with "no outgoing server," but it STILL sends mail from "MyRealPersonalEmail#domain2.com" for some reason, apparently because sending from the new default account fails.

I've lookd into setting up "important#domain.com" at the server so that it cannot send mail, but that's not an option.

I'm at a loss.  This used to be easy to do and now it appears to be impossible.  Being able to do this was one of the criteria I used in selecting AquaMail and it worked fine for a very long time.  I'm frustrated, and hoping that there's a real solution available, but I'm pretty sure the only response I'm going to get is that I can't do that anymore because AquaMail is now designed to keep me from doing things like making stupid mistakes when setting up accounts, even though I WANT to do that, with full awareness that I won't be able to send mail from that account.  The last thing I want to do is spend even more hours looking for something better, so I'm posting here in desperation.

Thanks...
Stan

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Set up account with sending blocked?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48:24 am »
I'm not aware of any changes in the app relevant to this case.

The outgoing server settings screen (when adding an account, or going back to change its settings) has a checkbox labeled "No outgoing server".

When selected, the account will be configured without a send function -- the app won't even try to configure the outgoing server at all -- and the account won't show in the account selector when composing a message.

To be able to send messages at all, you'll need to have other account(s) configured in the app with the outgoing server enabled.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

Moshe Lichtenstein

Re: Set up account with sending blocked?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:33:42 am »
I cannot post my question. How do I post a new topic?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk