Author Topic: Gmail Label not deleting  (Read 8333 times)

ino

Gmail Label not deleting
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:42:29 pm »
Hi,

In my Google apps account, i have a label with some filters, when I Delete it from my main inbox, using Delete immediately in Aquamail, it moves the message to the label folder showing as unread. i noticed this on the web interface.

Anyway of stopping this happening?

Thanks

StR

Re: Gmail Label not deleting
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:57:23 pm »
The peculiarity of Gmail (or some may call it an idiosyncrasy) is that for proper operation, you have to use "delete: move to Deleted". Make sure your Deleted folder in Aquamail is synced with the corresponding  folder  in Gmail.

ino

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:15:07 am »
Thanks, so i have to set the bin/trash to 'use IMAP push'?

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:16:53 am »
@StR +1

Yes, Gmail treats "delete immediately" as "remove the label that corresponds to the folder" and all messages are still retained in "All Mail", whether they have any labels (folders) left or not.

The "move to deleted" is handled as you would expect.

And no, you do not have to set the trash folder to "push".

Push mail is optional, it's to enable instant notifications for new messages / updates, most users will only want it for the Inbox if at all.

When push is off, the app will sync your actions to the server instantly, and will sync server changes to the phone every 15 minutes.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

ino

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:38:29 am »
Thanks.

Oh I turned sync off and left push on because aquamail is quite battery hungry:(

Will purge deleted folders permanently delete from the server?

StR

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:20:52 am »
Thanks.

Oh I turned sync off and left push on because aquamail is quite battery hungry:(

Will purge deleted folders permanently delete from the server?
Push uses more battery then regular sync.
If you don't need an immediate notification about a new mail, turn off "Push". (But keep a regular sync.)

Just in case: you don't have to have automated sync to be enabled to have Deleted folder synced (which is needed for "proper" deletion).

As far as I know, "purge Deleted folder" will delete the messages that were previously moved to Deleted as permanently as you could with Gmail.
Again, you have to make sure "Deleted" is properly mapped to the corresponding folder on the server. Aquamail usually maps it well for Gmail accounts.
 The FAQ item "How do I access server side folders?" has the description of how to map the folders in case they aren't.
http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227
(And, by the way, you can find a lot of other useful information there.)

ino

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:27:20 pm »
StR,

Thanks i did what you suggested, now all my emails have stopped working, they're not pushing, i have to manually refresh to get push to work:(

StR

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:53:47 pm »
You need to turn on the regularly scheduled sync. (The default interval is 15 minutes, you can make that 10, if you want;don't make it shorter than 5.)

ino

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »
it's all working again without the sync.

I prefer push because i need instant emails.

StR

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 06:51:16 pm »
it's all working again without the sync.

I prefer push because i need instant emails.

That's fine if that works for you.

I was addressing the issue of battery usage you mentioned:
As Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, wrote in 1538: "a man can not have his cake and eat his cake".  ;)

ino

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 07:53:11 pm »
LOL so true  :)

is there a sync setting  per account?

The only sync setting I see is for all the accounts, where you can set the time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:58:20 pm by ino »

ino

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 11:27:14 pm »
Thanks Paris Geek  :)

ino

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 04:43:24 pm »
I've checked for a couple of days now, my gmail accounts purge the bin/trash automatically, but with my google apps email I have to manually purge it.

I've doubled checked all my settings against the gmail accounts and they are all exactly the same.

Anything else I should check?

StR

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »
Automatic purging of the deleted messages from the bin/trash folder has nothing to do with Aquamail. It is a property of your Gmail accounts.
I am actually not seeing any configuration option in my Gmail account about how often such a purge happens. I thought Gmail does that every 30 days, so, I am surprised it happened for your this fast.
I am not sure how Gmail apps account behaves and if it can be configured.

In any case, - you may have discovered this already, but just in case: in Aquamail, you can long-press on the [Deleted] folder in the list-view and choose "delete all".

ino

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 10:49:06 pm »
Thanks StR,

I didn't know about the long press delete all, nice tip  :)

Re aboyt battery usage, before i was using only imap push (no sync) with 2 email apps, gmail and k_@ mail and had equal number accounts spread across 2 apps, since i've unified all accounts into aquamail and deleted k_@ mail and stopped using gmail, aquamail is using more battery than the other 2 combined.