Author Topic: Add Multiple IMAP Folders  (Read 2798 times)

Physicist

Add Multiple IMAP Folders
« on: February 01, 2016, 03:31:41 pm »
I could not find anything about this on the forum.
I have a number of IMAP folders that I use to organise my e-mail history. I have set up my account but it seems I have to add e-mail folders one at a time which seems very tedious.

Is there anyway to have all the folders in my IMAP account without having to add them individually.
I do not tend to access IMAP folders very often on my mobile but it is very useful to be able to file an e-mail away appropriately after I have read it and thus save ajob later.

Thanks

Robin

crashdamage

Re: Add Multiple IMAP Folders
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:44 pm »
You shouldn't have to add them at all.  Once added in one place they should appear everywhere.  An exception is if you add a folder in the email app on your phone but have sync for the folder disabled.  Be sure sync is enabled for that folder if your email app has the option to set sync per folder. 

Also, it is preferable to create folders at the server via the webmail interface.  A little more reliable than creating folders on a phone and syncing them from there.

I have several accounts setup in AquaMail.  Each account has 10-20 folders.  I've created filters at the server to filter most email into the appropriate folders.  Our computers and mobile devices all get email pre-sorted.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:23:18 pm by crashdamage »
Android since v1.0.  Linux since 2001.

StR

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:06:23 pm »
@Physicist (great choice, btw!):
If you don't need to sync your folders on a regular basis, - you don't need to "add" them. They will not show up in the list of folder in the Accounts View.
But you can access them in Aquamail by going to "other folders" in the Accounts View and in the disappearing "cabinet" menu. (There is an option to have "other folders" shown in the Accounts View, - I don't remember what's the default setting for that.)
Once you accessed a folder, - it will stay in the Accounts View for a set period of time (it can be tuned in the settings, by default it is 1 or 2 weeks, I don't remember).
And you can sync any of those folders manually at any point. So, if you do not need frequent access to those folders, I'd recommend not to configure them syncing regularly (that consumes memory and data).

However, at this point it is not possible to pin the folders in that list without having them synced. (Kostya is aware of the request to make that possible, - but it is not a crucial feature, so, I don't expect it to happen too soon.)

And, indeed, it is impossible to check-mark multiple folders and then choose to sync them all.
I am not sure, it might have been done on purpose, or just because there was no need for that: typically, with a mobile e-mail app, the modus operandi is somewhat different from that on a laptop/desktop, and you have more limited resources (memory, storage space).
For example, - I have tens of folders for some of my accounts. I "subscribe" to them in Thunderbird, but I don't sync them in Aquamail.

I hope this helps.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:54 pm »
Re: I am not sure, it might have been done on purpose, or just because there was no need for that: typically, with a mobile e-mail app, the modus operandi is somewhat different from that on a laptop/desktop, and you have more limited resources (memory, storage space).

Yes, exactly.

And it really annoys me how Thunderbird shows "[Gmail]/All Mail", "[Gmail]/Starred" etc. in its account/folder panel, which I don't care about.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/