Author Topic: S/MIME and PGP support via FlipdogSolutions Crypto Plugin  (Read 8810 times)

mangnolienbaum

S/MIME and PGP support via FlipdogSolutions Crypto Plugin
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:58:48 pm »
Since we all should consider signing and encrypting emails, I (and many other people who like AquaMail but concern about privacy) would like to see this feature in AquaMail as soon as possible.

The newest version of the competitor "MailDroid" supports it by using the free "FlipdogSolutions Crypto plugin" (just search for "com.flipdog.crypto.plugin" in Playstore).

Mayby that would also be a way to go for AquaMail?

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: S/MIME and PGP support via FlipdogSolutions Crypto Plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:31 pm »
Yes, encryption and signing is a wonderful thing.

Mail Droid is a wonderful app.

It's also about 12-18 months older (more mature) than mine -- it already existed when I started working on Aqua.

K9 is a wonderful app too (which also has, or about to get, this feature). Also older than Aqua by about 18-24 months.

I don't see a way to get this feature into Aqua in reasonable time, short of finding a pair of ruby slippers under my bed (or some object with magic properties).

Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

mangnolienbaum

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:39:56 pm »
Just to understand: what will this encryption protocol add? What is going to change with it? Will emails be out of reach for NSA and other intelligence agencies? Who is able to access them currently and will not be able to do so tomorrow?
In my opinion, the greatest risk for data security is to think that you are protected, while you actually are not...
Sincerely, give forum users some indications and illustrations.
End-to-end encryption is theoretical/mathematical secure. If the private key needed to decrypt emails that has been encrypted by your public key does not fall into wrong hands, nobody is able to read these emails except yourself - at least not without significant effort in time and computing power.
If all people would sign/encrypt their emails, the NSA and any other intelligence agencies would have big trouble reading email content. They would only get meta data (which includes the subjects of emails).

Sure this is a big field for a long discussion since the NSA and Co. might have backdoor access to all popular operating systems etc. but reading unencrypted emails on the transport way is a quite easy task - just like reading postcards without envelopes.

Just research for "Why You Should Encrypt Your Email" and you will get a lot of detailed illustrations.

Yes, encryption and signing is a wonderful thing.

Mail Droid is a wonderful app.

It's also about 12-18 months older (more mature) than mine -- it already existed when I started working on Aqua.

K9 is a wonderful app too (which also has, or about to get, this feature). Also older than Aqua by about 18-24 months.

I don't see a way to get this feature into Aqua in reasonable time, short of finding a pair of ruby slippers under my bed (or some object with magic properties).
AquaMail is for me the Android email client with the best usability. I use the pro version for ~2 years now and feel very comfortable with it. I tried MailDroid and other clients like K9 before but they did not meet my usability requirements.

The only big feature that lacks AquaMail (for me) is the encryption support. I just posted this topic because I thought that this plugin might help development, but on a second glance, it appears like it only works for software from the same developer (FlipdogSolutions) and was developed exclusively for MailDroid.

Anyway, I use the Djigzo app for managing S/MIME encrypted emails with AquaMail, but it is not very convenient.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:57:04 pm by mangnolienbaum »

paras.desai

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:36:18 pm »
See if this is helpful.  An integration can be explored

Sent from my GT-N7000

Using Tapatalk