Author Topic: how to sync sent to desktop  (Read 13997 times)

lotus

how to sync sent to desktop
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:56 pm »
hello,every time when i am sending mails by android or aqua mail i dont see any copy of it in my email client on my desktop.i am nure if its the email client settings or not/i tried to change the outbox in aqua mail from not sync to syn with sent but still no luck/
how can it be done?

beaky

Re: how to sync sent to desktop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:26:41 pm »
hello,every time when i am sending mails by android or aqua mail i dont see any copy of it in my email client on my desktop.i am nure if its the email client settings or not/i tried to change the outbox in aqua mail from not sync to syn with sent but still no luck/
how can it be done?
There is a saying: it take two to tango.
Are you using IMAP on both platforms? I assume yes.
You have set aquamail to sync, but what about the desktop client?
Do you have webmail access to this mail server? You may well have but don't use it.
Use web mail for checking what folders are present on the server. And to check what they contain.
That step should sort out whether either client is synchronising with the server.
It is quite possible for a desktop client to create a sent folder with a different name on the server - that means that if one client is synchronising [sent] with "Sent" and the other is synchronising with "Sent items", then you may still not see sent messages from one client appearing on the other.
(Let me be clear there, it really does not matter what the desktop client calls its OWN sent folder (in aquamail it is [Sent]) but it does matter what the sent folder is called on the server. It is too easy to have two sent folders with different names on the server).
Don't know if this helps...

Ilfracombe

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:47:44 pm »
I'm having the same problem. I am syncing to my iCloud account. Everything is fine, except that my sent messages are not syncing from my phone up to iCloud. (They are syncing from iCloud to my phone).
I have done what the instructions say: I've gone to Folders in the account settings, and set Sent as 'Sync with [ Sent ] folder.
Is there anything else I should do?

Ilfracombe

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:12:55 pm »
I've just discovered that in fact my sent messages are being synced to iCloud, but they are not being put in the iCloud sent folder. Another sent folder has been created, and the sent posts are going in there. Is that what is meant to happen? I suppose I can move them all together manually if I want.

Ilfracombe

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:38:10 pm »
In fact, I am wrong about it syncing from desktop to phone. It isn't.
This is what is happening:
No sent messages are syncing from iCloud to aqua mail
aqua mail is syncing messages to a new 'Sent' folder on iCloud.
If I move a message from that new 'sent' folder into the folder that iCloud puts sent posts in, then that message gets deleted from the sent folder on my phone.
I presume I'm doing something wrong here, because other email apps I've used can handle syncing sent mail quite well. I moved to aqua as I like some of the other features, but I have to say that syncing sent messages is pretty crucial for me. Would the paid version deal with it better?

beaky

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:42 pm »
In fact, I am wrong about it syncing from desktop to phone. It isn't.
This is what is happening:
No sent messages are syncing from iCloud to aqua mail
aqua mail is syncing messages to a new 'Sent' folder on iCloud.
If I move a message from that new 'sent' folder into the folder that iCloud puts sent posts in, then that message gets deleted from the sent folder on my phone.
I presume I'm doing something wrong here, because other email apps I've used can handle syncing sent mail quite well. I moved to aqua as I like some of the other features, but I have to say that syncing sent messages is pretty crucial for me. Would the paid version deal with it better?
You say you are moving messages from the new 'sent' folder (or is it 'Sent'? Case may be significant!) to the one that icloud puts sent messages into, so may I ask what is that icloud folder actually called? If you can move files then it cannot also be called 'sent'  Both systems must be syncing to the *same* folder, to work correctly, and I will assume you cannot change the folder Icloud uses. The actual folder name, rather than its function, is significant for synchronising.
I can only speak for myself, but on my server, for historic reasons, I have folders called "Sent", "Sent items" and "Sent messages". Aquamail was set up after these folders were created by other email clients.
If I long press on the account, then tap 'options and folders' then 'folders', each of these three folders is listed. One of them ("Sent") is set to synchronise with [Sent]. The others with sent as part of the name are not synchronised. Nothing is going into or out of these from anywhere now and they are probably empty. I really should delete them. "[Sent]" ( in square brackets ) is the reserved name for aqua mail's *internal* representation of a sent folder. Setting up aqua mail from new probably automatically creates one called "Sent" on the server, but if another email system that cannot be reconfigured uses a different name then you must change aqua mail settings as described above.
Example:
If the folder on your "other" email system (Icloud) is called, for arguments sake, "Sent mail" then you must synchronise "Sent mail" with [Sent], and stop synchronising "Sent" with [Sent] (in aqua mail).
Needless to say if there is at all much in any of these folders already, a backup would be wise.

I am using the paid version, but I think this configuration is still possible in the free, but you only have one account.

Ilfracombe

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:18:18 am »
Hi, thanks very much for taking the time to answer. As you have probably guessed, I am new to the ways of Aqua and Android.

The iCloud sent folder is, as you rightly guessed, a capitalised <Sent>.
At present this folder is not synchronising with Aqua mail

Since I started synchronising (or trying to synchronise) Aqua with iCloud, a folder called <sent> (not capitalised) has appeared on my iCloud account. This contains all the messages that I have sent from Aquamail.

On Aquamail, there is a capitalised <Sent> folder, which is synchronising with the new folder <sent> on icloud.

When I go into the folders of my account on Aqua, I see:

a) <Sent>, which is marked 'Sync with [ Sent ] folder'

b) <Sent Messages>, which is marked 'Do not sync'

What I really want is the <Sent> folder on iCloud to sync with the <Sent> folder on Aqua. Or, at the very least, I'd like to get my iCloud sent messages copied to Aqua. I suppose I could live with my Aqua sent messages being copied to a different folder on iCloud.

I'd be very grateful if you tell me what I should do in this situation.

(As I specified 'iCloud' when setting up this account, I'm surprised that this is happening)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:20:42 am by Ilfracombe »

lotus

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:55:08 pm »
i still cant syn sent to the desktop

lotus

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:36:31 am »
ok/i fixed the problem .i set aqua and the mailclient to imap.does someone knows if i will set the two to pop will i be able to sync both sent folders so anything sent from one will be seen in the other?

beaky

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:32 am »
ok/i fixed the problem .i set aqua and the mailclient to imap.does someone knows if i will set the two to pop will i be able to sync both sent folders so anything sent from one will be seen in the other?

Pop was not designed to maintain sync between folders in that way. It is in a sense only half a standard, as it only deals with collection of incoming emails from the server. When incoming mail uses pop, outgoing uses smtp, and sent copies are only kept locally, so sent messages are on your phone or your pc, but never both. Not very convenient.

Use Imap on both devices, as it allows the different devices both to synch to the server.
You may worry that not all incoming messages are kept on the local device, and so there is maybe a performance hit when searching or fetching new emails, but really it is a tradeoff between speed, memory used and other elements of performance (such as data used on your data plan). Provided you don't allow the server to delete old messages, they are all still there, until you choose to delete them. obviously watch your quota! I have configured my pc to download all the messages in full and keep them forever. This allows me to do local backups on the pc.
One important thing, if you use IMAP, and "delete" a message, that deletes it everywhere!
Aqua mail can hide older messages but that is not the same.
My tablet uses something close to the default settings that come with aqua mail, so does not keep them all on the tablet "live".
There is plenty of good stuff on the internet about how IMAP operates. I don't know how well this corresponds to how google drive, gmail, and such providers actually operate. I run a server on my Linux based hosting account, so it is pretty standard.

Ilfracombe

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 05:34:06 am »
I'm glad that lotus has got sorted out, but I'm still stuck.
I set the aqua account up as iCloud, which is of course IMAP, so I presume the account is IMAP. How can I check?

I detailed my settings in my previous message. I'd be grateful if you could indicate what might be wrong.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 01:26:24 am »
@ilfracombe - sounds like Aqua is set to sync Sent with one server side folder, while the other mail app is set for the other one.

My app does not create folders on the server, it tries to use existing ones (but if you used K9, that would explain the extra folder, called just "Sent").

So - just make all mail apps consistent with each other, and ideally, with web mail too. You already know how to do this in Aqua.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

Ilfracombe

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:05:05 am »
Thanks, but what other mail app do you mean?
I'm just trying to sync the Aquamail sent folder with the sent folder of iCloud on the web.
I have never used K9.

I have deleted the extra 'Sent' folder that had appeared on iCloud. However, that hasn't helped. Now nothing syncs either way. Messages I send from Aquamail stay on aqua mail. Messages sent from iCloud stay on iCloud.

I went to settings/Accounts and folders/Folders to check that the sync was set up properly, but the Sent folder is no longer there at all. There is only the 'Sent messages' folder. There is no 'Sent messages' folder on iCloud.

Deleted messages are also not syncing at all. (The instructions for that are 'Sync with [ Deleted ] folder')

However, Drafts are syncing fine (The instructions for that are 'Sync with [ Drafts ] folder')

I haven't been messing with aqua mail at all. These are the settings that came when I set it up for iCloud.
The 'Sent' folder is supposed to sync, right?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:00:24 am by Ilfracombe »

Ilfracombe

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 04:41:46 pm »
I deleted the account from aqua mail. I then set it up again.

The extra <Sent> folder, which I had deleted, reappeared. So, sorry, as far as I can tell, it does seem that Aquamail is creating a new folder on the iCloud server. I have no other email apps running.

Now it is as before. Messages sent from aqua mail are being synced to that extra <Sent> folder which it has created on the iCloud server. Messages sent with iCloud are not syncing to aqua mail at all.
Drafts are syncing both ways.
The inbox is also syncing both ways.
Deleted mails are not syncing.

There is still a folder on the aqua mail list called Sent Messages. I don't know what that is. It doesn't appear on iCloud.

Sent is marked in the settings to Sync with [ Sent ] folder
Trash is marked in the settings to Sync with [ Deleted ] folder
Drafts us marked in the settings to Sync with [ Drafts ] folder
Inbox is marked in the settings to Sync as incoming, IMAP Push

Are sent messages and deleted messages actually meant to sync? If so, there is obviously something wrong somewhere, and I don't know what.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32:56 am »
Aqua does not create folders on IMAP servers.

It really doesn't. Does not.

There is no code in the app to create IMAP folders.

No code to create IMAP folders in Aqua Mail.

In K9, there is (IIRC). In Aqua Mail, there is not.

You've got to configure the right folder -- the one iCloud web mail uses -- to sync in AquaMail as "Sync with [ Sent ]".

The web mail system and Aqua have to be on the same page with respect to which server folder contains sent mail. And then it should work.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/