Author Topic: Swipe in list, folder search, view contact before sending, double tap, day lines  (Read 10746 times)

horizon

I have a few feature requests and I hope it is OK to consolidate them into a single post.
Aqua mail seems to be the best looking email app for android, it is nice, neat, looks professional, and works very fast.

I found it missing following key features that are available in competitors:

- Swipe in e-mail list and quick actions, like swipe left to delete or swipe left to choose Delete/Archive (with Archive being pre-determined folder) and swipe right to choose File/Forward/etc.. or pre-determined action (File! which gives you list of folders)

- While filing e-mails (moving them to a folder) there is no way to type folder name, please add this.

- When sending an e-mail, while picking a contact, please allow user to view contact details before sending, which saves a lot of time and eliminates having to to Contacts app to view contacts.

- When zoomed in or out in e-mail body, allow double tap to zoom back to normal view.

- Do you plan to add option to go to next day/previous day, your day lines are one of the best I saw in a while.

I think if above are added, this app can be a real complete e-mail solution.

PS: Do you support latest Active Sync servers?

dirkliesenfeld

- Swipe in e-mail list and quick actions, like swipe left to delete or swipe left to choose Delete/Archive (with Archive being pre-determined folder) and swipe right to choose File/Forward/etc.. or pre-determined action (File! which gives you list of folders)

Yeah!
Swipe left to reply.
Swipe right to instantly delete.
:-)

horizon

Yeah!
Swipe left to reply.
Swipe right to instantly delete.
:-)

Looks like you can be the official spokesperson of Aqua Mail. :) I don't see the developer responding to much of these e-mails (perhaps he is busy with other projects). Android still needs a complete e-mail solution for people who are coming from Blackberry, so far Aqua Mail is the best looking of the bunch and it seems to run well, but missing a few key features. Just the list of settings alone is amazing.

I also get random No Authentication error time to time. I don't know if has a very short time-out (I am testing multiple apps at the same time, others may be accessing server as well).

dirkliesenfeld

No way. Thomas is much more active here, so he is probably Kostyas Spokesman :-)

AFAIK, Kostya is very busy implementing the long desired exchange web server functionality.
He usually disappears for a couple of days and after that he returns with a new version of Aquamail.

Just be patient - he is doing a very good job indeed.

horizon

Just be patient - he is doing a very good job indeed.

No doubt!

Allright, let's wait a few days for the new version, it would be awesome to have OWA functionality working syncing everything super fast like others. Hopefully he takes a peek of above requests (some of them have been mentioned, I realized, I apologize for repost) but I just wanted to combine them in a post.

Rachel Ambler

• Responsis, plura interrogandi
    • Random Thunks
Allright, let's wait a few days for the new version

May be more than a few days. Kostya stubbornly refuses to have the extra head and arms implanted to do the work of more than one developer, and there's a long list of moaners and whiners (such as myself) who've already given him a shopping list of features that'll keep him occupied from now until [insert suitably distant point in time here].

That's not to say he's not listening or working, just that, at this precise moment Exchange Web Services are more than at the forefront of his mind.

Trust me though, your patience will be rewarded. AquaMail is already a first class mail app and suggestions etc. will only make it better!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

dirkliesenfeld

Kostya stubbornly refuses to have the extra head and arms implanted

How very stubborn he is indeed :)

horizon

I want to add a few more things to the list.

- Email Categories are not displayed on device (when email is categorized on outlook, it does not reflect on device)

- Flags do not work properly, when you Star an e-mail on AM it gets reflected on server as Flagged for Followup, but when you flag multiple e-mails on Outlook, they do not show up as flagged (or starred) on device.

-

horizon

I was wondering if we should expect any input from developer?
I know he is busy with Exchange stuff, but it would be cool if we got his feedback so we know if he is totally against some of these features, or if he is considering at all.

At least if we could see text field in Move To.. screen and be able to filter unread e-mails, I think many people would be pretty happy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:05:27 am by horizon »

jcasares

The developer already answered that more use of swipe and touch will be added after finishing EWS.

horizon

The developer already answered that more use of swipe and touch will be added after finishing EWS.

I think we got more than just swipe functions in above posts, but I sense the indication is that he won't work on anything else until EWS is done, which is perfectly understandable and cool.

However, there is still a difference between working with things after he is done with EWS versus feeling strongly on certain functions that he might be against or feels the app will never have..  Someone can come here and say "I want a splash screen with a clown on it" and your reply above would still apply "OK, but he won't work with anything else until EWS is done". Kinda like that.. poor guy will wait for a clown splash screen.  :-\

jcasares

I was specific. Swipe will be worked out after the conclusion of EWS.

Kostya Vasilyev

Wow, such a heated discussion.

I'm the only developer on this project.

I do things more or less in order, one thing at a time (Rachel's one brain and one pair of arms comment above).

Not crazy about the current swipe fad as a user, but understand that many others like it.

EWS is a priority. There are many, many users wanting to connect to their office mail systems (where IMAP is not available).

The issue is not that I ignore user feedback (feature requests and suggestions) then go off to drink moonshine and smoke crack....

... it's that there is so much accumulated feedback already.

Almost everyone who makes a suggestion is very passionate that it's the one thing that the app needs right away, preferably yesterday.

Each individual doing this is probably right (in a postmodern sort of way... parallel universes with the app developing in different directions). But when all these suggestions meet in one place -- my to-do list -- it's necessary to decide what to work on next.

Now we're back to "one thing at a time, one brain and one pair of arms" thing.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

horizon

Kostya, I really didn't mean to sound pushy or turn this into a heated discussion in a bad way.
Once one gets used to a certain app, it's not too easy to start over with another, so I wanted to see if you were even considering any one of these. When I discussed some of these with other developers (privately or via forums) usually feedback was "it's noted, and will be considered" or something like "this is already in the works, and will soon be added" and in other cases "no, we do not intend to add this feature". That's all I meant by my most recent post above, to see if we could get your feedback, maybe something you haven't heard before, and thought it's a good idea, or something you already decided not to include.

Once again, you got a really good app, and if it would mean to get a fund going (aside from app price) or dedicated feature request cost, that also would be nice, however I agree being the sole developer of the app, you got your hands full, and surely this app is not your main source of income and must have other priorities.

Спасибо!