Author Topic: AM lags in reloading/redrawing the screen.  (Read 174 times)

mkgtu

AM lags in reloading/redrawing the screen.
« on: April 25, 2024, 09:07:11 pm »
Has as anyone else noticed recently that AM is very slow to recover from any action. For examples:

Open a message, read it, then use back button to return to message list - I get a blank black screen and can count to five before the message list shows up again.

Swipe to delete a message and again for a count of five, I get a blank square where the message used to be before the message list finally shuffles itself to close the gap. Same for multi-select and bulk delete. Lots of blank squares for a count of five.

Open message, just glance at it quickly, don't scroll through it, use back button to return to message list, still get a blank screen, but for maybe a count of only 2-3.

Open app, blank screen for maybe a count of three.

VERY LAGGY. Anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix it.

NO OTHER APP, absolutely no other app on my phone acts like this. They're all quite snappy.

Samsung S20+, US model w Snapdragon 865 5G, Android 13

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:10:26 pm by mkgtu »

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
Re: AM lags in reloading/redrawing the screen.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 09:34:59 pm »
Same here, also loading images from the address book takes long or don't even load.

Thomas

mkgtu

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 10:14:12 pm »
Same here, also loading images from the address book takes long or don't even load.

Thomas
Same here with the images. Some don't show up. But on top of that it takes a lot longer to load all those new icons/avatars from senders. Looks nice and fancy but may be counter-productive if they're slowing the whole process.

Seems to me the lag in everything else showed up about the same time as those new icons. Is there a way to turn them off, or choose the old simpler style?

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 10:25:33 pm »

Thomas
Same here with the images. Some don't show up. But on top of that it takes a lot longer to load all those new icons/avatars from senders. Looks nice and fancy but may be counter-productive if they're slowing the whole process.

Seems to me the lag in everything else showed up about the same time as those new icons. Is there a way to turn them off, or choose the old simpler style?

I disabled this new icon feature. But even with this function disabled loading is slow and laggy. Emails, address book icons, etc

Thomas

mkgtu

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 10:33:22 pm »
I turned of all the sender images in settings and that seems to have no effect on the lag, so I turned them back on. They do look classy.

But I tried this. I opened and scrolled through a message that has been previously opened and marked as read. When I close the message using the back button I still get a blank screen, but only for a count of 1 or 2.

I then marked that message as UNread, opened it again, scrolled through it, and closed it using the back button. This time I once again got a blank screen for a count of 5-6 before the message list reappeared.

There is obviously something slowing down the process of registering changes, like marking a message as read, etc. The "engine" is not running on all cylinders or is not using all the processing power a available to it in the system.

And not that it's related to the fancy sender images, but the lag did show up about the same time as that change.

Reminds me of the old dial-up days of the World Wide Wait.

mkgtu

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 10:40:20 pm »

Thomas

I disabled this new icon feature. But even with this function disabled loading is slow and laggy. Emails, address book icons, etc

Thomas
Yes I agree. I got no improvement by turning off the images - so turned them back on. But I do think all the lagging showed up with the same update that added those images.

I'd try downgrading the app to a previous version to see what happens, but the AM backup and restore is inadequate. It backs up some things but not others. For instance, I have about 18 aliases/identities from other providers with my GMail address. But AM doesn't backup identities, so they all have to be entered again manually. So for me at least, uninstalling and downgrading is not a pain-free option.