Author Topic: Can't translate anything  (Read 704 times)

mkgtu

Can't translate anything
« on: December 19, 2023, 04:08:42 am »
Mobisystems has its own translation app, costs $5/month or $40/year, which you are FORCED to use if you want to translate an email from a foreign language in AquaMail.

The GMail app  just translates the text without even being asked. All other apps I have (FairEmail, Edison, Spark, Outlook) allow you to select the text and then get an option to translate. You can pick Google Translate and be taken directly to Google Translate where the foreign text and its translation are already displayed.

You can partially do the same in AquaMail but when you get to Google Translate everything is blank. AquaMail won't transfer the text!

One exception I have in addition to the above listed apps is Spike email, which has a "translate" option in the app and will display both the foreign and translated text right in the email message. I don't know how that works, but I suspect it uses a Google translator engine.

All these apps (Gmail, Outlook, Spark, FairEmail, Spike, Edison) are free.

I do pay for the AquaMail subscription but the ONLY thing I get for that (over and above what I had in the previous PRO version is an "unsubscribe" button, which is kind of useless since by U.S. law every email has to have its own unsubscribe button in the email itself. So actually I get nothing for my subscription money and am barred from even exporting foreign language text to Google Translate.

My android phone comes loaded with world class Google services but AquaMail bars you from using them so they can force you to buy their own redundant Mobisystems translator.

What a ripoff.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
Re: Can't translate anything
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 04:51:27 am »
I have to admit that the former excelent email app is converting into a ripoff.
First they don't respect the life time licenses, now they try to force us to use their own product like when opening an office documents, now the translater.
Maybe it's time to change....

A shame!

Thomas
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 05:06:52 am by Thomas »

mkgtu

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 05:18:15 am »
I don't get a lot of "office" documents so wasn't aware of that. The ones I do get, I usually download them to the phone and open from the download. But I tried opening one now in AquaMail and I see the first choice is Office Suite from Mobisystems. But you can select "other options" below that and then choose something like MS office or Google Docs, etc. But you do have to go through an extra step.

The main thing I like about AquaMail are the visual customizations for the message list. They are virtually infinite, and I like my "design". But I suppose I could get used to something like FairEmail.
At least it isn't a cash register. 

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

squidbe

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 10:58:58 pm »
The main thing I like about AquaMail are the visual customizations for the message list. They are virtually infinite, and I like my "design". But I suppose I could get used to something like FairEmail.
Re: the AM message list, same here. I actually moved away from FairEmail because I got tired of fighting the interface and slogging through the cumbersome/confusing menus to try to customize things. Plus the FairEmail dev (it's just one guy) is way too defensive and snarky for my taste.

I moved away from FE a couple of years ago, but when I was still with it, there were multiple complaints in the Play Store about the app's UX, and he would always try to gaslight users by telling them they just didn't get it or they weren't patient enough or some other excuse. I ended up having a brief back-and-forth with him on a UX issue, and he gave me some BS about how he consulted with UX experts who said the app was just about perfect. I've been working in UX for almost 25 years – FE is not just about perfect. 😄