Author Topic: Please explain why there is still no XOAUTH2 support for IMAP/SMTP?  (Read 1212 times)

ThiefMaster

Even an Exchange365 account supports SMTP and IMAP and you can (must) use XOAUTH2 to authenticate there nowadays. I would really like to do so.

But AquaMail always wants me to provide a password when setting up an account with IMAP. I DO NOT want to use EWS but good old IMAP. Why don't you let me do that? :)

ThiefMaster

Re: Please explain why there is still no XOAUTH2 support for IMAP/SMTP?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 02:01:06 pm »
In the meantime I found the "Identities" feature which would let me set another outgoing SMTP server for a specific identity. However, it HAS THE SAME PROBLEM: It asks me for a password. I cannot tell it that I want to use OAuth.

chris122380

Re: Please explain why there is still no XOAUTH2 support for IMAP/SMTP?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:05:35 pm »
I think there may not have been a response to your question as it isn't exactly clear what you're trying to do. I am a Aqua Mail user and usually will try to answer people's questions if I've done what they have done before or if I can reproduce it. I'm not sure if this will help but here's my answer: OAuth implementation over IMAP usually requires an app specific password or if the service allows web login implementation. If the later usually exists usually after entering the email provider or entering the email and password It would redirect you to the web page to authenticate. I have both an Outlook account and Gmail account using OAuth. I used to have my works office 365 account until my work enforced only allowing the use of Outlook which was a business decision and not an Aqua Mail issue.