Author Topic: Important announcement concerning the Aqua Mail Unlocker Pro users  (Read 27789 times)

chris122380

Re: Important announcement concerning the Aqua Mail Unlocker Pro users
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2023, 06:48:44 pm »
There still has not been clarification about the statement that we "will not lose access to features you already use". What about everything in the column labeled "pro" that's unchecked? Email backups, moving emails between folders, priority notifications, downloading emails as .eml files? I use these now, but according to the table that AM has put out I will no longer have access. Why even bother with the table if the statement is true? The feature sets should be exactly the same right now and only be changed to reflect new features being added in the future.

A formal statement from AM would be good, from the latest version this is what I'm suspecting is to be true.

I said this in the other post but I think it's probably worth repeating here (made some slight changes).

It looks like it has changed about 3 times in the last few days. Makes me wonder if the unsubscribe feature might be part of something they have to subscribe to (or a Aqua Mail server side implementation). I never use the unsubscribe features as I'd rather click unsubscribe over an automated system I can't tell or know exactly what it's doing. Plus many of those services make me wonder if they're spying on our inbox and making more money by selling our metadata. This is one reason why I am highly suspicious of email subscription services. Paying for a product who is already collecting and selling your data to make even more money off of ya (not to say that my email provider isn't already doing it).

arf8

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2023, 09:38:53 pm »
I suspect there will be more changes as AM team is monitoring this forum and trying to make the right decision to not further inflame their base customers.

Sad they don't come out with a clear message and we have to read between the lines. The comms on this has been nothing short of a failure. Who ever runs their PR department needs to take training and provide clear and concise message to avoid the confusion they have caused. The silence in itself is palpable.

DynaBMan

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2023, 12:12:54 am »
I really, really hope they allow those of us who have been pro users to keep using the features we have now. One of my must have features is the ability to have the app automatically shrink images that I email. With my work, it is a must-have. Aqua Mail and Outlook are the only two email apps that I am aware of that will do that. And Outlook pails in comparison to Aqua Mail.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Wissertje

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2023, 12:14:03 pm »
I really, really hope they allow those of us who have been pro users to keep using the features we have now. One of my must have features is the ability to have the app automatically shrink images that I email. With my work, it is a must-have. Aqua Mail and Outlook are the only two email apps that I am aware of that will do that. And Outlook pails in comparison to Aqua Mail.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Fairemail also has this option. The lack of communication decided me to stay whit Fairemail, that also cares about my privacy.

renek11

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2023, 07:51:50 pm »
I'm not saying that the announcement was sufficiently explanatory of the upcoming changes, but it's unnecessary to be scaremongering, rude and hostile here in the meantime. If nothing changes for those of us who have long purchased the PRO version, and we get all the new and future new and improved features, then nothing is really happening. It would be a different matter if we don't get new features that enhance the app to work as efficiently as possible. At one time, we all purchased this app just to support development while taking advantage of new features.
I trust that everything will be handled to our complete satisfaction.

I just wanted to ask who is now translating the app into other languages? I used to be involved in the translation into Czech.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 07:55:24 pm by renek11 »

arf8

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2023, 07:58:39 pm »
You are not a spokesman for AM. Just a few days ago there were willing to scrub all the current features out of the pro version, they reneged their poor decision after people like us complained.

They're silence and lack of communication is beyond poor at this point. It's not like they are not monitoring what's going on here. Nor is it too much to ask for them to clarify users questions.

chris122380

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2023, 08:19:48 pm »
You are not a spokesman for AM. Just a few days ago there were willing to scrub all the current features out of the pro version, they reneged their poor decision after people like us complained.

They're silence and lack of communication is beyond poor at this point. It's not like they are not monitoring what's going on here. Nor is it too much to ask for them to clarify users questions.

The current silence is likely do to them now having to re-evaluate what they are planning to do and that likely takes multiple individuals. I suspect they are surprised by the reaction of there users (even though they shouldn't be) and are now having to rethink what they are doing with the information they have gotten from the community and the Play Store (it's dropped about a half star or more rating and looks to be continuing to drop).

arf8

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2023, 09:01:27 pm »
I suspect you are right, the only leverage the community has is the ratings on Google play among others but this being the most effective and our voices here.

renek11

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2023, 10:18:21 am »
Yes, some kind of response is needed from us as a community, but everything should be in decency.
Of course, I also disagree with the initial statement, but everything will show when the new rules come out in the application. I'm certainly not going to pay for something I've already paid for. I want to use the app with all the premium features.
I trust that we will be satisfied.

Pete6

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2023, 11:31:14 pm »
I agree with MickJ.  The wording here is highly ambiguous.  At best in needs clarification.  It would be better to completely re-write it and explain exactly how much a registered, paid up pro user will be expected to pay in the future.  I can tell you right now, I am NOT payng $29.99 per year.  If that is the deal then I'm moving to GMail.

Yes, AM is a great app but, I have already paid once.  If I had known the dev was going to demand $289.99 per year, I would not even have paid that.  It is just a phone app.

My summary: No, No and NO again.

Dear Aqua Mail Pro users,

Due to the increased risk of app piracy, we need to migrate Pro licenses issued outside of the Aqua Mail app to licenses issued within the app. Also maintaining only one app and having all of our users in one ecosystem helps us keep integrity and compatibility in the UX.

As a Pro user, you will not lose features you already use. To ensure lifetime access, a migration option will be available soon.

We can offer the following options for migration:

1. Tap "Stay Pro" and wait for further instructions in the following days for transferring to a lifetime Pro license in the Aqua Mail app.

2. Tap "Upgrade" to become a Premium subscriber.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition.

Best regards,

The Aqua Mail Team

OK, now I am unsure about this, it may be my reading it incorrectly, but it would seem that it is fraught with issues especially steps:

1. Tap "Stay Pro" and wait for further instructions in the following days for transferring to a lifetime Pro license in the Aqua Mail app.

Are we being asked to become a premium subscriber and all the associated costs ?

The wording needs to be clarified and in simple unambiguous terms

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2023, 11:53:41 am »
Hi everyone,

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies and provide some clarification regarding recent developments.

Starting from September 30th, we will no longer update the "Pro Unlocker" as part of our proactive measures against piracy. The Pro Unlocker was being sold as a separate APK and is an old method for purchasing in Google Play from the time when in-app purchases were still not popular. Currently, there are 2 existing Apps - Aqua Mail and Aqua Mail Pro Unlocker. We aim to drop out the Pro Unlocker App, so we can only maintain the Aqua Mail App. Therefore you will be reissued a Pro license in the Aqua Mail App. So this will make the UX even better for our Pro users and they won't need to download and use two APKs.

We will be introducing a migration to which users with the Unlocker, including the "PAYPRO" license and those using codes, will be migrated.

Migrated "PRO" users (This will not be a subscription plan) will retain access to the features they used in Aqua Mail. They will receive regular updates including compatibility and security improvements, except for newly introduced features like "Unsubscribe" and others that will be exclusive to "Premium". It's important to note that subscribing to the "Premium" is not mandatory for "PRO" users, it's only optional.

We are striving to make the transition as smooth and convenient as possible for everyone. Further instructions will be provided to guide you through this process.

We truly appreciate your feedback and support.

Regards,

The Aqua Mail Team

chris122380

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2023, 03:49:08 pm »
Hi everyone,

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies and provide some clarification regarding recent developments.

Starting from September 30th, we will no longer update the "Pro Unlocker" as part of our proactive measures against piracy. The Pro Unlocker was being sold as a separate APK and is an old method for purchasing in Google Play from the time when in-app purchases were still not popular. Currently, there are 2 existing Apps - Aqua Mail and Aqua Mail Pro Unlocker. We aim to drop out the Pro Unlocker App, so we can only maintain the Aqua Mail App. Therefore you will be reissued a Pro license in the Aqua Mail App. So this will make the UX even better for our Pro users and they won't need to download and use two APKs.

We will be introducing a migration to which users with the Unlocker, including the "PAYPRO" license and those using codes, will be migrated.

Migrated "PRO" users (This will not be a subscription plan) will retain access to the features they used in Aqua Mail. They will receive regular updates including compatibility and security improvements, except for newly introduced features like "Unsubscribe" and others that will be exclusive to "Premium". It's important to note that subscribing to the "Premium" is not mandatory for "PRO" users, it's only optional.

We are striving to make the transition as smooth and convenient as possible for everyone. Further instructions will be provided to guide you through this process.

We truly appreciate your feedback and support.

Regards,

The Aqua Mail Team

Why premium features at all? Why not premium for new users and just update Pro users to lifetime premium? Will some new features be available to both Pro and premium users or will all new features be premium only?

tommyt

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2023, 07:01:30 pm »
So how would this work for a person changing devices and needing to re-download the "Pro" version of the product? Would we be already notified of a permanent code representing our status that we'd then enter into a new installation of "Pro" at some point, or would the combined systems just "know" our status? I realize this may still be in the process of being worked out (and maybe there's an industry-wide standard already existing for these types of things). More to follow, I'm sure.

arf8

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2023, 09:32:06 pm »
First, lets stop with the piracy nonsense. It is as if all this backlash, AM has learned nothing about being truthful and candid for a change.
AM developers should know of all people, this is not related to piracy as the primary factor. The Unlocker app is not required at all, you know this! So stop peddling piracy as the justification, this has to do with funding, pure and simple.

The lack of candor is a bit disgusting in my opinion.

The proposal seemed fair to me to snap the line in the sand with the "Unsubscribe" feature moving to Premium to help fund development of the app. However, since AM is so adamant this has to do with Piracy, and not related to funding, I'm going to advocate what Chris and others are suggesting to make the Pro users Premium users moving forward. Since this is about Piracy as AM is peddling, making Pro users Premium users should have no impact to piracy concerns moving forward.

@tommyt - there is simple license checks within the app code and google play that can handle all this in the background. nothing extraordinary if it is implemented properly. 

iainmann

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2023, 04:25:49 am »
Dear Aqua Mail Pro users,

Due to the increased risk of app piracy, we need to migrate Pro licenses issued outside of the Aqua Mail app to licenses issued within the app. Also maintaining only one app and having all of our users in one ecosystem helps us keep integrity and compatibility in the UX.
That's nonsense, but OK. Therefore, by streamlining to only having a single Aquamail app to develop and maintain, the product *should* be better, more secure (and less piracy) and more easily managed by your company. This also means that we (the lifetime licence paid customers) *should* receive a better experience overall and have done you (Aquamail) a favour by agreeing to moving to this consolidate application/development path.
Sounds like everyone benefits.

As a Pro user, you will not lose features you already use. To ensure lifetime access, a migration option will be available soon.

We can offer the following options for migration:

Good. You should not be removing ANYTHING that was paid for under your lifetime licence agreement NOR the licence agreement of people who purchased before MobiSystems acquired Aquamail.
And what was paid for, was lifetime access to AM and all its functionality, including updates, upgrade and new features.
There is NO cost to your company to retain the current LIFETIME LICENCE customers who already paid.
This is already a false 'opportunity cost' - It's clear from these forums that none of the lifetime users will be 'uprgading' to your paid subscription nonsense, when they are already perfectly entitled to all new aquamail features for no additional cost, and as stated, it costs you (Mobisystems/AM) nothing to bring these customers into your updated app development. Again, YOU chose to consolidate your app development (for debatable reasons IMO)... not the customer.

WTF would any lifetime licence owner need that?!?! They already are entitled to full access to all current and future functionality of the app, unless of course, AM decides to reneg on its licence (with PAID customers!!!) and therefore should refund all those users!

AM is perfectly entitled to change their future licences and products etc, however you are NOT entitled to changes these after the fact, on customers who have already paid for a product (which was always an ongoing service - so don't suggest "a lifetime licence is only for a few years..blah blah blah").

I (and likely others) would be fine to have our lifetime licence imported inside the app for (as you claim) antipiracy purposes. However, don't attempt to deceive customers that there is (also) a need to charge monthly/periodic subscription for this new app.
YOU have changed the situation to better protect your future earning (and that's OK, where it pertains to future (potential) customers), but none of your lifetime customers asked/needed for that functionality, and therefore, DO NOT attempt to change us any additional money for that!

Solution: Create 1 migration option "Import Lifetime Licence" - giving full access to all current and future updates, upgrades and functionality..and be done with it!
You will likely retain all current lifetime paid customers (who, until now, probably praised and promoted AM as one of the best email apps) and lose no money or potential earinings (as most lifetime members were leaving AM and going elsewhere (eg: FairEmail) and are now absolutely rubbishing/review bombing your product, leading to a real (not potential) loss of future earning.

Totally agree.