Author Topic: Aqua mail going to subscription  (Read 16006 times)

chris122380

Aqua mail going to subscription
« on: June 21, 2023, 08:56:50 pm »
Just got notified that my pro license I purchased will no longer be usable and will need to upgrade to a subscription based plan. I originally purchased aqua mail because it wasn't a subscription based app. It would have been nicer if they would have grandfathered in there original pro member rather then forcing us to pay to stay. Their are already to many subscription services out there. With this app being buggy, not getting the expected updates, and support ignoring the forum (ignoring it's users) it is not worth the high subscription price. This is the last straw for me. I was hoping to see improvement but it's not worth the subscription price and I have already paid for (and am using) the pro version of Fairemail.

arf8

Re: Aqua mail going to subscription
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 09:55:00 pm »
My understanding is if you are a Pro license user you can keep that. However there is a lot of basic features like priority notifications and moving messages between files which are lost unless you go with premium subscription.

This seems a little short sighted to remove these basic capatwhich were there from the onset.

Hoping Martin and the team with allow pro users to keep these basic features and then others if anyone wants those pay premium. Otherwise like you I will be leaving AM if I can't maintain simple functions like these above

phred

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 11:41:37 pm »
Is this is true, it's pretty unacceptable.

Those of us who purchased the Pro license as a "one-time purchase" should be grandfathered in the the new options/features. We SHOULD NOT have features removed. Granted the one-time purchase was when Kostya was the developer, but this really seems like a money-grab by Mobi in an attempt to make up for whatever they paid Kostya.

I guess it's time to look at FairEmail once again. I didn't like it the first two times I tried it. Seemed to be a bear to set up, especially since I have twelve accounts.

Has anyone used K9 recently? How does it compare with AM. Or with FairEmail? Didn't Micro$oft purchase it a year or so ago?

arf8

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 12:00:35 am »
Removing basic features is unacceptable. Some of the additional features of they want to squeeze profits I don't care. I think they will find most don't need or use those features. I do agree the grandfathered user base should be valued to use us as end users to help improve the app. If no one pays for these premium features no feedback will be provided.

I use K9 it works well, Gmail is not bad either. AM for now unless they remove the basics I use.

Curious to see what Martin responds with at least for these two basic features.

mkgtu

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 12:08:31 am »
I assume from the screenshot that this change comes with the new update 1.45.0. So until things get clarified re old Pro purchasers - what we're losing and keeping - maybe I'll just turn off the auto-update for AM and stick with what I've got for now 1.44.2  AM seems to be working fine for me on Android 12 and my phone isn't eligible for Android 13+ anyway, so maybe I don't need any more updates.

I'd hate to lose features. But what's always kept me with AM are the customization features, especially the endless Display possibilities. But I suppose I could live without those if need be. I do have FairEmail installed and like it functionally, but I can't make it look as "pretty". I also have Edison Mail, Outlook and GMail itself... So I'll live.

But I would still hope that AM would honor the original Pro purchases for the old timers and grandfather them in.

P. S. I don't even know the price of the new subscription plan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wissertje

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 12:14:10 am »
Just got notified that my pro license I purchased will no longer be usable and will need to upgrade to a subscription based plan. I originally purchased aqua mail because it wasn't a subscription based app. It would have been nicer if they would have grandfathered in there original pro member rather then forcing us to pay to stay. Their are already to many subscription services out there. With this app being buggy, not getting the expected updates, and support ignoring the forum (ignoring it's users) it is not worth the high subscription price. This is the last straw for me. I was hoping to see improvement but it's not worth the subscription price and I have already paid for (and am using) the pro version of Fairemail.
I'm really pissed but i was already counting on it. If you see the pricing of other products from them it was expecting. I hope with this step they go bankrupt. Rake in money quickly. Those prices they mention are no longer normal prices, are they? they'll never see me again, anyway.

Thanks for pointing me to FairEmail. Developer is also dutch so i also have support this guy whit a fair price.

@mkgtu first year it was 9,95 and after that 29,99 a year. And if i'm correct is was € for me.

Here is screenshot:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 12:21:03 am by Wissertje »

phred

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 12:35:04 am »
I use K9 it works well, Gmail is not bad either. AM for now unless they remove the basics I use.
I haven't downloaded K9 yet, but I assume it, like FairEmail, can't import existing email accounts, correct?

mkgtu

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 12:39:01 am »
Thanks for the price info. Probably not the end of the world. I'd just add it to all the other - uncountable - subscriptions I've got to one thing and another. It'll get lost in the crowd.

But it looks like we'd keep the "Pro" features and pay for the "premium" ones. Of those there are none I couldn't live without. I only occasionally use the "save as eml" and "copy to folder" from the premium list. The rest I've never used anyway.

arf8

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 12:43:52 am »
I haven't downloaded K9 yet, but I assume it, like FairEmail, can't import existing email accounts, correct?

Believe that is correct, it has been a while since I installed it from scratch. Once it set it up it just works, Fairemail is just as good.

If I can't move emails between folders or retain the notification for a second email I'm moving on myself.

phred

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 12:48:31 am »
But it looks like we'd keep the "Pro" features and pay for the "premium" ones. Of those there are none I couldn't live without. I only occasionally use the "save as eml" and "copy to folder" from the premium list. The rest I've never used anyway.
I -never- allow the Play Store to auto-update apps. I just went to my account to see what apps needed updating and AM wasn't on the list, so I updated all. And now AM is at 1.45. <sigh> When you tap the 3 dot menu the first item on the list is "Upgrade to Premium." As long as you don't tap it, you'll stay at Pro with no further cost.

But the good news is that like mkgtu, I don't need nor use any of the premium "features" so I'll stick with AM for a while longer, but will take a long look at K9 first, and then FairEmail. Just in case Mobi starts playing more tricks.

mkgtu

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 12:48:44 am »
I've also tried K9. Works OK but pretty basic, not like it used to be many years ago when it was my regular client. Fair EMail seems much more customizable.
  I've also tried Spark. It's pretty good, but also has that free vs premium model. The premium is $60 USD annually. Double the AM premium.

arf8

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 12:55:41 am »
It very much depends on how AM decides to enforce the change come Sept for the premium features. They can easily detect by your license the moment you open your app if features and capabilities work despite an update to the latest version. My hope is they don't remove these basic features and make them premium. I know Martin and the team is monitoring these posts so curious when they finally chime in.

I get it is a business and they have to make money but offering new features and making those a premium is the right way to monetize. Not retroactively going back and taking basic features and lumping them into the premium model. It is a sure way to piss off your base customers and in this business with other open source options the reputation is not worth the risk.

mkgtu

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 01:02:45 am »

I -never- allow the Play Store to auto-update apps. I just went to my account to see what apps needed updating and AM wasn't on the list..

Actually I let Google auto-update most apps but I have it turned off for a dozen or so, mostly apps that have had a history of putting out half-baked, bug infested updates. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) Aqua Mail is one of those for which I've always had the auto-update turned off.
  I also checked and AM has the 1.45.0 update available on its own page in Google Play, but for some reason it doesn't show up on the list of updates if I do a general "check for updates". Google can be a little slow on the trigger sometimes.
  I'll leave 1.45 on the store shelf

arf8

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 01:22:17 am »
Nothing wrong with 1.45.0, you can use it and keep all your current features. Like I mentioned AM can disable the capability simply with the license check with one of the receivers. It does not matter if you have an older version or not. It depends how AM plays this and what features they keep premium and if they grandfather Pro users or not.

mkgtu

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 02:08:04 am »
Ok. Good to know that.
Thanks.