Author Topic: What will happen to AquaMail, when there are only expensive subscriptions left?  (Read 1692 times)

Justin

Hi, discussed with friends and also in another forum:

Obviously it's not possible anymore to purchase a lifetime pro key.

Only available through subscription for 35,69 € per year in my country. I don't know anybody who will do that for an email app.

So what will happen? Is AquaMail going to die? Please clarify, thanks.

chris122380

I wouldn't pay a subscription for it. They still haven't fixed issues with the composer screen which was reported over a year ago. They like to claim it isn't a bug but it sure is annoying as hell and multiple users have complained about it. Who doesn't make a full screen compose window in an email app for crying out loud.

Almost everyone I know has converted over to Fairemail. For the following reasons:
1. One time purchase (no subscription necessary)
2. Regular updates and bug fixes (Aqua mail has been getting fewer and fewer updates and more and more bugs)
3. The developer listens to his users even if he may not agree. Usually makes it an option in settings to be able to turn a feature on or off if somebody doesn't want it, rather than Aqua Mail who just outright tells you they won't do it.

If Aqua Mail ever fixes the compose window and gets a regularly scheduled update cycle, I may consider going back but not right now.

Justin

Almost everyone I know has converted over to Fairemail. For the following reasons:

Yes, important. I also know users who use preinstalled mail apps, K-9 (Thunderbird) or Nine Mail & Calendar

There is much development on K-9.

By the way, a year ago Nine also tried a subscription model and failed. That was predictable. AquaMail will do the same.
The consequence for Nine was to rely more on the purchase version after all.

2. Regular updates and bug fixes (Aqua mail has been getting fewer and fewer updates and more and more bugs)

AquaMail was already a very sophisticated and reliable app in Kostya's time.
For me personally, it is not necessary to constantly receive new updates. Security updates are important, of course.

Fentadroid

3. The developer listens to his users even if he may not agree. Usually makes it an option in settings to be able to turn a feature on or off if somebody doesn't want it, rather than Aqua Mail who just outright tells you they won't do it.

If Aqua Mail ever fixes the compose window and gets a regularly scheduled update cycle, I may consider going back but not right now.

FairEmail is a great open source app.
I have multiple gmail accounts with many labels to synch (push), battery drain with Fairemail is very high compared to Aquamail :(