Author Topic: Error setting up and using Outlook account but not Hotmail  (Read 3321 times)

j.steve1984

Error setting up and using Outlook account but not Hotmail
« on: February 20, 2023, 05:40:35 pm »
I have 2 e-mail accounts, one is Outlook.com and the other is Hotmail.com

With the Hotmail account I had zero issues, everything works perfectly.

However when I try to setup my Outlook account, after authenticating my credentials and getting returned to AquaMail to complete the setup, I receive an error message:

Account Check Error

Incoming mail server (IMAP): Invalid server response.

Please make sure your settings are correct.

What gives?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 01:36:19 am by j.steve1984 »

j.steve1984

Re: Error setting up and using Outlook account but not Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 01:23:12 am »
No one knows?

j.steve1984

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 01:35:50 am »
Okay, after doing some digging I managed to setup my account successfully using the "App Password" workaround method described in this article:
https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=8655.msg47173#msg47173

Even though this was in reference to a different error and not the one I was experiencing, it still worked for me.

I used the "Other mail" option combined with the generated app password.

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 09:38:51 am »
Hi,

We will look into this!

AquaMailDC

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 12:49:03 pm »
Now I'm getting the opposite.  I have a Hotmail account that is no longer authenticating for inbound email (IMAP).  Last email I received was Sun eve (UK).  Could log into the Hotmail account in a web browser on Monday morning and had two new emails that are not in AM.  I also have an Outlook account set up in AM and that's working fine.

I had previously joined the Beta as I was experiencing the sending error of last week.  I have since left the Beta, but the latest version was released anyway, so my AM is running 1.42.1-266
I also have 2FA set up on my account.

If I go to try and add my hotmail account again in AM the MS Auth app prompts to confirm access, then AM continues to check Inbound/Outbound settings and then I get a pop up that says:

Account check error
Incoming mail server (IMAP): Invlaid server response.
Please make sure your settings are correct.

Hope it gets sorted.  Most probably MS at error again.

AquaMailDC

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 01:08:25 pm »
Just to note that both my Hotmail and Outlook accounts have been set up on my AM for years and both accounts have the same settings:

Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encryption: SSL/TLS

Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Encryption: STARTTLS

Hotmail gets the above previously posted error and Outlook sends/recevies fine.

MarkMessinger

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 08:52:48 am »
Good grief.

Last week it was an SMTP error, then I read a recommendation I join the Beta testing group. That update fixed the problem. Now with version 1.42.1-266 the error is with the incoming mail server.

Before this Aquamail has been reliably receiving and sending email.

I look forward to learning of a fix or a workaround to thei latest problem.

mpmahen

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 08:57:32 am »
I have exactly the same problem since yesterday with the latest version installed.

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:20:18 am »
Hi, Sorry about that! We pushed an update, but it seems like it works only for some users. We will investigate this further.

GregM

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 10:49:08 am »
For me, outlook account is working fine, but my hotmail account fails.
Updated to the Beta yesterday.
Same experience AquaMailDC

Mick5150

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 02:02:18 pm »
Hi, Sorry about that! We pushed an update, but it seems like it works only for some users. We will investigate this further.

Hey Martin - just FYI this is happening for me as well. The fix you guys pushed fixed the SMTP error all the way through last night. Just woke up and refreshed email and got a network error. Going through account setup it now has the same error these folks are getting.

"incoming mail server (imap): invalid server response. please make sure your settings are correct."

My account is an Outlook account as well. Good luck!

AquaMailDC

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 02:20:42 pm »
I think the error is most likely to be with Microsoft.  I did see on Monday that there were IMAP errors connecting to O365 accounts that was being resolved (O365 advised it was resolved on Tues).  Trouble is, I'm not sure where those with personal mail accounts sat on Microsoft servers can get support/have their mailbox checked.

I installed the AM beta on Fri to fix the SMTP auth issue of last week and I was sending/receiving email until I checked on Monday morning.  Last email that appeared in AM was around 18:00hrs Sun eve.

AquaMailDC

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 11:01:59 pm »
I think the error is most likely to be with Microsoft.  I did see on Monday that there were IMAP errors connecting to O365 accounts that was being resolved (O365 advised it was resolved on Tues).  Trouble is, I'm not sure where those with personal mail accounts sat on Microsoft servers can get support/have their mailbox checked.

I installed the AM beta on Fri to fix the SMTP auth issue of last week and I was sending/receiving email until I checked on Monday morning.  Last email that appeared in AM was around 18:00hrs Sun eve.

Update: My Outlook account is now also broken in AM.  Alert notification says 'Persistent incoming server network errors'.  But same invalid server response when clicking the red bar in the AM app.

MarkMessinger

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 09:28:59 am »
A little after 5 AM UTC AquaMail suddenly delivered the first notification of receipt of an inbound message I've seen in a couple of days.

It looks to me as though Microsoft has made some kind of change that's fixed the problem I was experiencing with incoming mail for my Outlook (Family Office 365) account. I hope this will be the end of these problems, for a while.

AquaMailDC

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 01:00:46 pm »
Both my hotmail and outlook accounts are running again.  Looks like it was any 3rd party (to MS) mail app were having IMAP issues:

https://9to5google.com/2023/02/22/gmail-outlook-sync-bug/ [nofollow]