Author Topic: Replying to emails frequently loses quoted section of original email  (Read 3731 times)

johnm243

I am running Aqua Mail 1.40.1-224 on a Samsung S22. I also run it on my Lenovo Tab M8 FHD (TB-8705F). I just upgraded to 1.41.0-234 on the S22 and still have the issue.

Aqua Mail Technology: 3 accounts, all using IMAP

I find that, when I reply to emails, the quoted email section frequently gets lost.

Screenshots:

1. Original email
2. Email reply, quoted section still there
3. While typing, lose the quoted section of the email

Can you please see if you can reproduce?

Thanks,

John

cowxie

Re: Replying to emails frequently loses quoted section of original email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 06:36:40 pm »
I experience the same as the OP... near 100% deletion of the original email when replying, or when forwarding. Also occasionally get extra Carriage Returns at the bottom of the email that I am editing, if that email is a forward or reply. Was thinking that it might be my keyboard app, but I have not been able to solve this after changing keyboard apps (have tried SwiftKey, Samsung default, Google).
Running version 1.41.0-234 app on an S20+.

Looking forward to getting this sorted. Thanks for any ideas that may help to resolve.

Cheers
Cowxie

johnm243

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 07:00:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that you get it also @cowxie ... but I am also glad to see that I am not the only one!

Thanks for the confirmation,

John

cowxie

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:28:33 pm »
Hi all,

I'm unsure if this is related, but I will pass it along just in case it is.

You will note in the attached screen shot of Aqua Mail Settings / Composing and Sending that the Quote the Original section including the check box is greyed out.  It is like something else has control of this check box, but I have been unable to open this up for me to change it.

Could some other setting within Aqua Mail, or even some other app have control of this box, resulting in the check being removed and the Original Text being deleted?

Thoughts will be welcomed. Many thanks and Cheers

Cowxie

johnm243

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:09:34 pm »
I don't use Reply at the bottom cowxie. When I turn it on, I see the same thing!

I searched for Reply at the bottom in support and didn't see anything. So we'll have to wait for an answer.

John

cowxie

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 04:59:57 am »
I've started using Gboard again and this seems to have fixed the issue, as I've not seen the original email disappear.
So I am wondering if this is an issue related specifically to the Samsung keyboard app and how it works with aqua mail...?

Cheers
Cowxie

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 10:24:15 am »
This is indeed related to Samsung Keyboard, try removing  "disable Predictive text, Suggest emojis, and Suggest stickers while typing" You can use a different keyboard like Microsoft Swiftkey (tested and works as intended). We are looking into this and implement a fix once we find the reason behind the issue.

johnm243

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 01:28:08 pm »
When I go to turn on Gboard on my Samsung, I get a message (likely from Samsung) saying:

Attention
Gboard may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data such as passwords and credit card numbers!

OK | Cancel

I have no way of testing to see if that is true!

My Lenovo tablet comes with Gboard enabled. I just tested it 3 times and it seems to keep the quoted section just fine, even on a couple of very long email threads!

Looks like I have to look for a privacy-enabled keyboard as I need a swype style keyboard: I tried to change to an iPhone 4 many years ago ... but dumped it because it didn't have a swype style keyboard available at the time. I was moving from BlackBerry, which did have a swype style keyboard!

John

johnm243

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 03:17:26 pm »
Why does Gboard need access to accounts and to read contacts?

https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/latest/ [nofollow]

John

cowxie

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 04:02:59 pm »
This is indeed related to Samsung Keyboard, try removing  "disable Predictive text, Suggest emojis, and Suggest stickers while typing" You can use a different keyboard like Microsoft Swiftkey (tested and works as intended). We are looking into this and implement a fix once we find the reason behind the issue.

Thanks for this news as it answers one question. If there is anything that I can contribute to the debugging effort, please PM me.

Cheers
cowxie