Author Topic: Rich Text Bar gets hidden under keyboard; "floating" setting doesn't keep it in view  (Read 3598 times)

mkgtu

With the Rich Text Bar set to be at the bottom it only remains visible for the first 4 lines of typing. There is blank space below the bar to start (at least on my phone Galaxy S10+) but as I type, the RTF bar, and the blank space below it, moves down the screen till by line 5 the RTF bar is now hidden beneath the keyboard. To make it reappear - and become useable again - I have to swipe up on the text area to create more white space (plus the RTF) at the bottom of the text area.
   But then of course as I continue typing the RTF bar disappears again when I get to the bottom of the text area and I have to go through the swiping etc to get it back again. A lot of swiping around just to make a few lines "bold" or "italic" and then turn the "bold" or "italic" off again.

I've tried turning the "floating" RTF bar setting on and off and nothing seems to change. It doesn't "float". I don't think that setting does anything at all, at least that I can see. Looks broken!

I personally don't think I really need the bar to "float" anywhere anyway, though I could see that might be useful to someone editing a long page of text (probably on a large computer screen). But on a phone-size screen I'd be happy if the RTF bar at the bottom would just "anchor" itself at the top edge of the keyboard. Seems to me that's the most useful place for it, makes it like part of the keyboard. At present it just seems to be anchored, if at all, in void space, with no regard for where the keyboard is. It gets out of the way of new text as you type but doesn't not get out of the way of the keyboard.

My only solution for keeping it visible is to put it at the top. But things get awkward when it gets that far away from the "business" end of composing a message, which is the keyboard area.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mkgtu

After further exploration, issue remains the same regarding the bottom rtf bar getting hidden under the keyboard.

But I've discovered what the "floating bar" setting does and it only works if the rtf button bar is at the top. It "locks" or "freezes" the bar at the top of the text box (below the subject line) so that it's always visible no matter where you are typing.

I think "float" is a misnomer because the bar doesn't actually float at all. Like in a spreadsheet where you want to keep the titles of rows and columns always visible as you scroll, the proper word for that is to "lock" or, as in MS Excel, to "freeze" those rows and/or columns.

So what I'm looking for is to "freeze" or "lock" that bar at the bottom of the text box as well as the top. The fact that you can lock it to the top but not the bottom is definitely a BUG or faulty design.

My understanding of "float" is that you can long press a tool bar and actually move it anywhere you want to get it closer to where you're working. You can, for example, make most modern keyboards "float" like that anywhere you want on a phone or tablet screen. This AM RTF bar can't float in that sense.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

chris122380

I am glad I'm not the only seeing this as a bug. Placing the RTF button bat at the bottom alined with the keyboard should do exactly that. There is even a settings for it but it doesn't do that and every time I bring it up to AquaMail they told me it's not a bug  and then ignore me or block or close the thread. I'm glad there are others out there who also see it as a bug. Now that you mentioned the floating option (I never saw it doing much of anything) now that makes me want to go back and play with that setting or some other possible settings to see what happens

chris122380

I have also confirmed that changing the floating settings made no difference to this bug.

chris122380

This feature (see screenshot) is still broken in AquaMail 1.39.0. floating in the middle of the screen is not the bottom (no matter what the devs say). I'm turning it off but the compose window still looks bad in dark mode with the compose section not taking the full page.