Author Topic: Links won't open in default browser?  (Read 2662 times)

mkgtu

Links won't open in default browser?
« on: September 13, 2022, 09:07:26 pm »
I can't figure out how to get links in emails to open in my default  browser, which is set as Edge. All links in AquaMail open (run) in Chrome. Must  be some way to change that.

I've  checked other email apps and with Edge set as the system default browser, all links in those apps open in Edge. True for Edison Mail, FastMail, Outlook, even (believe it or not) GMAIL. BUT NOT IN AQUAMAIL, which is the app I use all the time.

Why is AM so tightly wed to Chrome. I've tried changing a setting in Chrome to not allow it to "open supported links".  But that doesn't help. Everything still opens in Chrome.

Any ideas? Help?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mkgtu

Re: Links won't open in default browser?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:36:42 pm »
Partial but IMO defective solution to my issue. It's true that in the "message view" settings, you can uncheck the box to open links in AquaMail instead of opening an external browser. If you do that, then the links open in Edge in a new  external window. So you now have two apps open in the foreground!
   That shouldn't be necessary. If you have GMail set to open links within the app, they open within the app, but they are "running in Edge" with all the features of Edge - not Chrome. SEE SCREENSHOT from GMail.
   But links opening internally in AquaMail run only in Chrome.

Maybe not a big deal. The reason always given for opening links within the apps (which except for AM always "run" in the default browser) is that sites open faster that way. In today's late model phones with extremely fast processors and large RAM I don't think I really notice any difference. Seems the same either way.
  Still it would be nice to not have to open that second foreground app. I don't see why AM should be stuck on Chrome.
  So many times I see the response to many issues is to blame things on Google. In this case it can't be Google's fault. Even its own email app allows links to run on a Microsoft browser internally! As do all other email apps I've tried.
   How do I make AM do the same?

mkgtu

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 09:41:42 pm »
Screenshot didn't work in last post for some reason. Trying again. This is in the GMail app, with Edge as the default browser, and the link opening internally within GMail but running in the Edge engine.

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:11:55 am »
Hi,

Not really sure why they open by default in Chrome with the setting (Open web link in Aqua Mail) turned on, I will have to ask the devs and get back to you at some point.
It sounds like this could be a potential feature that we can implement.
Thanks for the feedback.

mkgtu

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 05:37:28 pm »
Just to be clear, because your reply looks like my original issue may have been misunderstood.

- If for instance Edge/Firefox/etc is set as default browser
- and AM is NOt set to open links in AM
- then links WILL open in whatever is the default browser, but obviously in a new/separate window. (Your reply could be interpreted as my saying they don't open in the system default browser outside of AM)

BUT
- If AM is set to open links within AM
- and Edge/Firefox/etc is set as default browser
- then links do open inside AM, but they still RUN using the Chrome browser "engine" within AM even though Chrome is NOT the system default browser.
- they do not use the Edge/Firefox/etc engines within AM

So it looks like AM is written to  always use the Chrome browser engine to open links  if they are opened within AM, ie, in the same AM window, no matter what browser is set as default sytem-wide.

If the box to open links in AM is unchecked, then AM DOES use whatever is the default browser, but obviously opens the links in a full and separate browser window.

With other email apps I've tested (GMail, FastMail, Edison, and others) if Edge is the default browser then links set to open "within" those apps, open inside the app, in the same window, but they RUN using the Edge browser engine - or the engine of whatever is set as the system default browser (Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Edge, whatever)

When a link opens within an email app you can usually tell which browser it is using by tapping the little 3-dot menu button. At the bottom of the menu you can tell which is the system default browser by the "Open in..." Item. In both cases below it is Edge.
  But right below that you can also see which browser engine the page is currently "running in...".  In AquaMail it is Chrome.  In GMail it is Edge. Strange, because if any app were to be " locked into" Chrome, you'd think it would be a Google app, not AquaMail.

In both screenshots below, the default browser is Edge.
In the first screenshot, you see a shot of your above reply, opened from a link in AquaMail, with the setting checked to open links inside AM. The system default browser is set to Edge, but this link opens in the AquaMail window, running in Chrome.

The same link opened in GMail (second screenshot) opens within the GMail window, but it runs in Edge, as it should.

Like I said, probably not the end of the world. But it looks like AquaMail is the odd man out in being permanently linked to Chrome to open web links internally rather than honoring and using the engine of the system default browser in all cases - internal or external.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 05:50:20 pm by mkgtu »