Author Topic: How would I turn off voice announcement of each new AquaMail message?  (Read 1820 times)

tyroaqdome

A few days ago on my AquaMail (version 1.35.0-130) on Android 11, I began to receive a woman's voice announcing the arrival of each email in this format: "One new message in account dogsled@purplezotter.com"

I haven't heard any other apps on the phone vocalize like this, so I suspect that the voice is turned on in AquaMail. If that's possible, please tell me how to turn it off.

(I changed Google Assistant's voice to a man's voice and did another test. The AquaMail announcement was still in the woman's voice, so I don't think that Google Assistant is the culprit.)

tyroaqdome

Never mind: I found the TEXT TO SPEECH feature in Aqua Mail here...

SETTINGS > MANAGE ACCOUNTS > myaccount > OPTIONS > ACCOUNT OPTIONS > TEXT TO SPEECH

I had searched SETTINGS for "voice" and "announce" and "notification", but those keywords were irrelevant. "TEXT TO SPEECH" is a misnomer: there is no text being converted to speech. This feature should be renamed "VOICE NOTIFICATION".

How TEXT TO SPEECH turned itself on, I'll never know. It's buried 5 levels in, and I hadn't been in Aqua Mail's settings for months.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 01:14:58 am by tyroaqdome »