Author Topic: (solved) Aquamail internal caching conflicting with mail server (IMAP)  (Read 2398 times)

cemf32

Hi,

I noticed that when I use aquamail and another client (e.g. thunderbird or roundcube) at the same time I get some weird conflicts:
- moving a message using roundcube or thunderbird into another folder is fine in the other clients. (i can confirm, that the message file was moved to a new server on the mailserver, since I operate it)
- refreshing aquamail will still show the message in the old place. if i try to delete it, it will fail (ofc).

I try to re-cap simplified:
- i open my IMAP inbox in aquamail and see XXX messages
- i open the same mailbox in roundcube and move some messages into another folder
- i refresh in aquamail, but the changes performed in roundcube arent visible (the mails are displayed as if they were not moved)

I guess aquamail is caching the mails locally, only fetching UIDs in a list. But it wont update the list, even if i refresh.

I hope that was specific. i am happy to help resolve the issue, since aquamail is simply the best mail client.

kind regards,
alex
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:51:20 pm by cemf32 »

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
Re: Aquamail internal caching conflicting with mail server (IMAP)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 02:17:26 pm »
Hi Alex,

Upon refreshing the folder, whether manually or automatically via scheduled sync, the app will update the mail list with any changes made on the server/other client (assuming that client updated the server).

I'd recommend that you try to test this on another email account, that is also added in Thunderbird, like a Gmail address.

I don't believe there can be an app fault here because it's something very basic, if it was going wrong we'd know about it from a lot of user feedback by now.

Martin

cemf32

Re: Aquamail internal caching conflicting with mail server (IMAP)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:29:25 pm »
Hey,

thank you for the reply!

I nailed it down now. It only happens when FTS, CONDSTORE / QRESYNC and mail optimizations are enabled. If I run "doveadm fts optimize" and refresh on client I see the updated results. So, my guess is that the CONDSTORE/QRESYNC cache was not properly updated until the fulltext search ran.

Hope that helps others with the same issue. Run optimize more frequently or disable optimizations for this account.

Thank you so much! Still the best mail client!!

Kind regards,
Alex