Author Topic: S/MIME certificates went missing --> Stuck in an endless loop  (Read 5725 times)

nagmat84

S/MIME certificates went missing --> Stuck in an endless loop
« on: January 29, 2022, 01:55:59 pm »
Suddenly, S/MIME stopped working and now I am stuck in an endless loop. I am permanently unable to synchronize my email account since two days. Synchronization fails with the error message Failed to send S/MIME message (see attachment 01). Please note that there is no email in my draft folder. So the error message is probably a misnomer.

The log file says ERROR: Error during start-up java.io.IOException: Failed to send S/MIME message; Caused by: org.kman.AquaMail.mail.smime.SMimeError: Certificate file doesn't exist (see attached log file).

Indeed, the certificate files seem to have vanished. (I don’t know why.) When I go to „Settintgs > Manage accounts > [My email account] > End-to-end encryption > Certificate Store”, I still see both my certificates being listed (see screenshot 02). However, when I try to open one of the certificates to see its details, I get a screen with the loading spinner forever (see screenshot 03).

I could re-install the certificates as I have a backup. But, Aquamail don’t let me to do so as I must remove the old certificate entries first. But I cannot hit the delete button, because Aquamail tries to load the certificates and fails. Hence, I am basically stuck with two „phantom” certificate entries.

I already tried to clear the application cache without success. How do I solve this issue without completely re-installing the app and re-configure everything?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 01:59:17 pm by nagmat84 »

ckowarzik

Re: S/MIME certificates went missing --> Stuck in an endless loop
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 12:58:06 pm »
Exact the same issue here. Aqua Mail 1.34.0, Android 11, Redmi Note 9 Pro MIUI 12.5.7

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
Re: S/MIME certificates went missing --> Stuck in an endless loop
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 05:16:48 pm »
Hello,

From your screenshots, it looks like an expired certificate is the one activated for sending. You cannot send your mail with an expired certificate. Please toggle the certificate valid until 2023, go into your Drafts folder and manually send the email.

Let me know if that works. :)

Martin