Author Topic: [Bug] After restoring accounts and settings: Identities are gone  (Read 2875 times)

Justin

Hi, migrated to another device.

Backup and restore generally worked. But all identities were gone. I had to create them again manually

v1.35.0 (Android 12)

mkgtu

Re: [Bug] After restoring accounts and settings: Identities are gone
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 06:15:31 pm »
I have posted somewhere previously about this same issue and never got a response.

Especially if you have a lot of accounts and a lot of aliases/identities with those accounts, it's really a chore to try to recreate the identities list manually after a device  change or reinstall. You're bound to forget a few and not notice till you  need to use one to send an email - and you're in a hurry!

Don't know if this is a bug, an oversight, or by design, but I think a backup should include the  identities along with all the rest of the personal account data and settings. It certainly warrants a response/explanation from the developers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mikeone

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 06:36:35 pm »
I have posted somewhere previously about this same issue and never got a response.

Especially if you have a lot of accounts and a lot of aliases/identities with those accounts, it's really a chore to try to recreate the identities list manually after a device  change or reinstall. You're bound to forget a few and not notice till you  need to use one to send an email - and you're in a hurry!

Don't know if this is a bug, an oversight, or by design, but I think a backup should include the  identities along with all the rest of the personal account data and settings. It certainly warrants a response/explanation from the developers.

+1

I second your statement. Identities should be a part of the apps backup.

Justin

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 10:04:05 pm »

Sorry, I didn't notice that this bug was mentioned before.

mkgtu

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 10:26:34 pm »
Was probably quite a while ago, or I may be imagining it! Your post reminded me of it, but in any case, if I reported it,  I got  no response, so the "complaint" bears repeating. Maybe it'll catch someone's attention.

And I've noticed a lot of "bugs" and/comments go unnoticed, or at least un-replied to by developers. Makes one (at least me) think their posts are "off the wall". And I feel that thinking "backup" means "everything" is not "off the wall",  just S.O.P. for most apps that have backup features.

Justin

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 10:37:57 pm »
2 weeks later:

Any comments by dev team on this topic?

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 10:58:40 am »
Please use the search function.

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=8200

We've already reviewed this problem internally. Coding a fix is a rabbit-hole that we don't want to down right now because we'd have to make some pretty fundamental changes to account for identities being restored without the Pro license active. This will likely break more things in the end. Therefore, we've added a warning a couple of versions back to restore your Pro license before you restore a backup containing Pro features. Attached is said warning on a screenshot.

Martin

Justin

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 01:47:12 pm »
Thx. I didn't get the warning on new phone, bc I backupped using pro version and later restored using the pro version.

Unfortunately there was no warning that I will loose all identities.

mkgtu

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 05:59:27 pm »
Developer response unclear at best.

Are you saying that if you have the Pro version — which I do, and Justin says he does — then aliases/identities are, or should be, included in the backup/restore? But it seems at least two of us backed up and restored while using the Pro vetsion. Neither of us got that warning you mention — which we supposedly shouldn't have anyway since we are using the activated/unlocked Pro version — but neither of us had the identifies backed up or restored. They were lost.

So the developer answer just begs the question. If the Pro version is active/unlocked, then according to your answer shouldn't the identities be included in the backup? If not, why not?

I'm also not sure what "use the search  function" in the answer had to do with anything. Search for what? Identities?

And following the link/quote the developer included to a previous conversation just confirmed that according to him if you have the Pro version active, the identities should be included in a backup. Our point here is that that does not  seem to be working. Both of us had the Pro version  active, therefore did not get that warning (see screenshot) (proving the Pro version must have been active!), but the identities were lost anyway.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:17:22 pm by mkgtu »

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 09:27:02 am »
Identities are stored in the backup file if you are using the Pro version. If you're using the free app, you cannot access the identities menu anyway.

They are also restored if you restore the backup after you've activated your license.

You will only see the warning message I provided a screnshot of before if you are not using the Pro verison.

If you are able to consistently reproduce a problem with restoring identities, feel free to email us at support@aqua-mail.com with the steps to do so. We haven't found any issues when the above conditions are met.

Martin

Justin

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 11:33:44 am »
Identities are stored in the backup file if you are using the Pro version. (..)
They are also restored if you restore the backup after you've activated your license.

Hi, thx. I did it the way you described using the pro version (pro key). It didn't work. All things were restored except identities.

You will only see the warning message I provided a screnshot of before if you are not using the Pro verison.

This is correct, I didn't get this warning message, bc I used the pro version.