Author Topic: Aqua Mail announces strategic business decision to separate from MobiSystems, In  (Read 20682 times)

Bilyana Elenkova

San Diego, CA, March 31, 2022 -  For more than 10 years now, Aqua Mail has been synonymous with a fast, reliable, and secure email client for Android devices. Today the company announces its strategic business decision to separate from MobiSystems, Inc. and become an independent organization pursuing its vision and ideas of satisfying the needs of its demanding users.
Aqua Mail joined the MobiSystems family in 2016 as a subsidiary. Since then, the app’s Android installations have grown to 9M worldwide. The decision to spin-off opens an opportunity to grow new business ideas and deliver enhanced value for the users in a different environment while keeping fruitful relations with the parent organization.

Aqua Mail is one of the few non-cloud-based email clients. It does not collect any personal or sensitive user information or share it with any third parties. Aqua Mail is maintained regularly by professionals from the software industry. It has a cohesive online community of tech savvies whose comments, suggestions, and critiques over the past ten years are constantly helping the team to build a better app.
Equally essential advantages such as first-rate support and feature-driven development make the app one of the best email clients.

The ongoing mission of the team behind the app is to create a better everyday email experience and help users to operate their entire email communication the way they like it. Aqua Mail is a fast, reliable, and super customizable email app that can enhance everyone's ability and style of organizing daily email operations.

!This change won't affect the state of any user license/subscription.

For more information on Aqua Mail visit aqua-mail.com

Aqua Mail team
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 03:35:08 pm by Bilyana Elenkova »

phred

This seems like great news, but brings up a few questions.
1- when is this effective?
2- will the current support team stay with AM?
3- is Kostya coming back?

Thanks.

mikeone

This seems like great news, but brings up a few questions.
1- when is this effective?
2- will the current support team stay with AM?
3- is Kostya coming back?

Thanks.

Good questions, Phred. 👍🏼

However, I do not think that Kostya will get back into the project.  But who knows? 8)

I am also of the opinion that the current support and development team (after initial difficulties, but for quite understandable reasons) has now identified very well with this excellent product and, after Kostya's departure, has also launched some very interesting technical developments of this app. In this respect, it would be desirable to know that the team will also be on board under the "new flag" in the future.

phred

Good questions, Phred. 👍🏼
However, I do not think that Kostya will get back into the project.  But who knows? 8)
Thanks Mike.
I agree with you about Kostya coming back. If I'm not mistaken he's running his own company now and with a not-too-successful email client. But since I was asking questions, I figured another few pixels wouldn't hurt.

I also agree that the current team has gotten over the initial hurdles and I'm satisfied with how things are going.

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
Hi phred and mikeone,

Regarding phred's questions:

1. It's effective March 31.
2. The team stays the same.
3. Kostya's not coming back.

Cheers,
Michael

chris122380

Aqua Mail is the closest to an open-source email client, while simultaneously being maintained regularly by professionals from the software industry.

What exactly does this mean? It's Open-source? It's not Open-source? It's partly Open-source and partly closed-source?

The EULA makes it sound closed source so have no idea why that comment. https://www.aqua-mail.com/eula/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 07:13:03 pm by chris122380 »

Bilyana Elenkova

Aqua Mail is the closest to an open-source email client, while simultaneously being maintained regularly by professionals from the software industry.

What exactly does this mean? It's Open-source? It's not Open-source? It's partly Open-source and partly closed-source?

The EULA makes it sound closed source so have no idea why that comment. https://www.aqua-mail.com/eula/ [nofollow]

Hi chris122380,

Aqua Mail does not collect, store, or use personal email data. We do not read the content of your messages. Users can suggest what to fix and improve and what new functionality to develop and implement in the upcoming app releases. But they do not have access to the app code itself.
Still, the app is maintained solely by our team of professionals who always consider the users' feedback.

phred

Aqua Mail does not collect, store, or use personal email data. We do not read the content of your messages. Users can suggest what to fix and improve and what new functionality to develop and implement in the upcoming app releases. But they do not have access to the app code itself.
Still, the app is maintained solely by our team of professionals who always consider the users' feedback.
I think you need to look up the definition of "open source" as your answer does not relate to chris's question. Open source has nothing to do with an application's data collection. It is when the source code to the application is available for all to look at (and potentially) modify.

From opensource.com:
Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance.

Aqua Mail is not open source. While there may be -parts- of it that are open source, overall AM is not an open source application.

Bilyana Elenkova

I think you need to look up the definition of "open source" as your answer does not relate to chris's question. Open source has nothing to do with an application's data collection. It is when the source code to the application is available for all to look at (and potentially) modify.

From opensource.com:
Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance.

Aqua Mail is not open source. While there may be -parts- of it that are open source, overall AM is not an open source application.

We never said it's an open source. :) But you have a point - some textual changes are needed. Thank you for that.

chris122380

From opensource.com:

We never said it's an open source. :) But you have a point - some textual changes are needed. Thank you for that.

Exactly why the original post is deceiving and there's been three posts from Aquamail on this but not a single one has answered the question I asked. You still have not answered the question about why the phrase open source was even used. Instead the questions were avoided and still being avoided.

phred

Aqua Mail is the closest to an open-source email client...
I think this is the comment that got the ball rolling. Please explain how AM "is the closest to an open-source email client" while being totally closed source.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I love AM and have been using it for quite a while before Mobi took over. Of course I would prefer that it be an open source application, but that's not stopping me from using it. An application can either be closed source or open source. It can't be "almost" or "closest to" open source. Which is why I'm trying to understand the how and/or why for the "closest to" statement.

chris122380

Aqua Mail is the closest to an open-source email client...
I think this is the comment that got the ball rolling. Please explain how AM "is the closest to an open-source email client" while being totally closed source.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I love AM and have been using it for quite a while before Mobi took over. Of course I would prefer that it be an open source application, but that's not stopping me from using it. An application can either be closed source or open source. It can't be "almost" or "closest to" open source. Which is why I'm trying to understand the how and/or why for the "closest to" statement.

Exactly my same thoughts. It could have some open source pieces of technology but then just say that and tell us what parts you're using that are open source.

Bilyana Elenkova

!You are right.
We used the phrase to refer to something that needs much more explanation. AM isn't an open-source in the actual meaning of the term.
But we have built a relationship with you all. Your experience with the app, comments, suggestions, and critiques influence the whole team.
By using the term "closest to an open-source" we wanted to highlight the relationship with AM's community. You are helping us build a better app.
This was a failed attempt to say we appreciate your contribution to how AM works today.
Sorry for the confusion. Aqua Mail is NOT an open-source software.
Please excuse us for the wrong wording here. There will be changes in the text. Thank you for the alert once again. Note taken.

mikeone

Great statement, Bilyana. Thanks for clarification.

phred

Thanks very much for the clarification, Bilyana.

Might I suggest editing the first post to eliminate any confusion? I know some people will read the first post and not follow the rest of the thread.

Thanks again.