Author Topic: Sign in with Google  (Read 4670 times)

JakeUK

Sign in with Google
« on: March 05, 2022, 02:35:38 pm »
I’ve just received a message from Google telling me that I will no longer be able to send/recive messages after 30th May unless I use Sign In With Google or other more secure technologies like Oauth 2.0. I’d rather not have to, is there any way around it?

phred

Re: Sign in with Google
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 12:33:50 am »
If you read the complete email you could have followed the links to "learn more." There you would have discovered how to use a Google App Password.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

JakeUK

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 12:53:09 am »
But I would still need 2 step verification, which I was hoping to avoid.

phred

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 01:05:09 am »
But I would still need 2 step verification, which I was hoping to avoid.
That's not the way I'm reading it. Set up an app password through your Google account. It will generate a 16(?) character password which you then paste into your account on AM. Done. And you only need to enter it once.

I'm planning on doing this in the next couple of days since it can be set up before the May deadline. Better to test now rather than wait until it's too late.

I suggest trying it and letting us know.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 01:07:33 am by phred »

JakeUK

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 01:13:24 am »
Above that, in the second paragraph it says:

"An App Password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a less secure app or device permission to access your Google Account. App Passwords can only be used with accounts that have 2-Step Verification turned on."

phred

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 02:56:01 am »
Yeah, I see it, but I'm still not certain. Yahoo did the same thing a while back. They stated you needed 2FA in order to use "unsafe" applications with an app password. I created an app password without using 2FA and am still using it today. Without 2FA.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I really don't want to have to use 2FA on my phone every time I want to use AM.

toolworker

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 03:36:24 am »
Does Aqua Mail support OAUTH? I searched the FAQ for OAUTH and got four results, but they are all in Russian.

chris122380

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 10:48:08 am »
See if I can answer this the best I can.

Google is starting to force users to use 2FA for security reasons (I already use it on my account so I've never seen the email). AquaMail supports multiple ways of logging into Gmail (and yes it supports 2FA). There are three ways that I've seen this works. First, Connect a Gmail account from the phone's Settings (uses Google account used too sign into Android or any other Google accounts used to sign into Google services. Doesn't require 2FA authenticating). Second, using oauth2 which is a protocol that has you sign in through the web portal (you will have to use 2fa when logging into the website).  Third, Manual, IMAP, or POP3 with an app password.

No matter which method you use you will only need to enter the password or 2FA authenticate during the initial setup. You will not need to enter them when using the app (after the setup).

Suggested tip, once the accounts are added make a backup (settings - data storage - backup & restore) before making any other setting changes. That way you can do a restore if you mess up any of the setting changes. Then once you have all the settings the way you like them make another backup. I store a copy of the backup in the cloud making it easy to restore if I get a new device or have to wipe my device. The backup will keep all the account info so you won't have to login again or create a new app password (if you have to use that method for one of the account). On very rare occasions do I have to re-login to an account. If I have to re-login for server side issues or changed password, then I also create a new backup.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 10:53:22 am by chris122380 »

phred

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 04:15:24 pm »
@JakeUK - I tried making the changes late last night. You are correct that an app password by itself does not work. You do indeed need 2FA. But the good news is

No matter which method you use you will only need to enter the password or 2FA authenticate during the initial setup. You will not need to enter them when using the app (after the setup).
Which was my main concern. I was under the impression that every time AM did a mail check on my four GMail accounts, I would have to wait for a verification code and enter it. As chris122380 points out, that's not necessary. Thanks great to hear. Thanks chris.

Now for the desktop. When I'm not out and about, I use a stand-alone email client (actually a couple of them) and the one GMail account I set up last night needed 2FA enabled, -then- an app password generated. I pasted the app password into the password field of the account and got in and have not had to use the password since.

As chris122380 points out - make and keep backups!!

phred

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 05:57:29 pm »
Does Aqua Mail support OAUTH? I searched the FAQ for OAUTH and got four results, but they are all in Russian.
Using the Translate Web Pages extension in Firefox:

chris122380

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 03:00:06 am »
Using the Translate Web Pages extension in Firefox:

The UI even shows that it supports oauth2. Unsure why it would be questioned then.

phred

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 10:04:11 pm »
The UI even shows that it supports oauth2. Unsure why it would be questioned then.
Perhaps the OP read the email from Google and panic without even looking at AM's capabilities.

JakeUK

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 10:11:04 pm »
Perhaps the OP read the email from Google and panic without even looking at AM's capabilities.

Panic would be an overstatement. Did you consider that not everybody might be as technically savvy as you are?

I must confess that in my ignorance, I had assumed that forums such as these would be the place for people to come and ask such questions.

phred

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 10:26:06 pm »
Panic would be an overstatement. Did you consider that not everybody might be as technically savvy as you are?
Yes, perhaps panic was too strong a word.
But proper forum etiquette dictates that savvy or not, a search of the forum should be done before creating a new topic. And taking a look at the FAQ. Although to be honest, I haven't looked at the FAQ in quite some time and have no idea if 2FA or OAUTH2 is mentioned. There are certainly a good number of hits in the forum on 2FA or OAUTH.

chris122380

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 04:32:00 pm »
It was said earlier that they did search the FAQs but it came up in Russian. I didn't mean to cause a argument. I was just trying to show where it could be seen in the AquaMail interface.