Author Topic: Can't Restore from Backup  (Read 3862 times)

AJDon78

Can't Restore from Backup
« on: January 27, 2022, 08:02:53 pm »
I take backups from AquaMail every month. I've just had to reformat my Chromebook, and after installing AquaMail and the Pro key, I went to restore from the backup, but Aquamail can't see it.

The backup is in my download folder (so not in the cloud, it's on the device) named correctly, and undamaged.

I did a test, and manually added one account, then backup Aquamail and tried to restore from that new backup, but gain, Aquamail can't see the file.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's wrong?

jacque

Re: Can't Restore from Backup
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 08:25:29 am »
Exactly the same problem here. My new Chromebook is running Android 11 and I think it's a permissions problem. The only file permission I can set is "Media only" so I think Android is blocking all non-media files.

I wrote to support 2 days ago but no response yet. This is a blocker for me, I've got years worth of settings in that backup. I'd hate to have to figure it all out again for all my email addresses.

Anyone have a clue?

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 12:07:07 pm »
Hello,

I think I've replied to you each separately on your review/ticket but I'll post this here in case other users stumble across this.

Chrome OS comes with a different Google Drive app. Aqua Mail can work with the Google Play Store's version of Google Drive which apparently isn't what Google ship with Chrome OS. Therefore, you will need to install it from the Play Store.

Local storage backups are not going to be accessible in the future due to Android's Scoped Storage changes, which are also enforced on Chrome OS.

Let me know if you're still having issues with the backups.

Martin

Justin

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 01:53:57 pm »
Local storage backups are not going to be accessible in the future due to Android's Scoped Storage changes, which are also enforced on Chrome OS.

Sorry, I don't understand. Why doesn't AquaMail behave like other similar apps:

- Permitting access to "all files" by user

or

- storing the local backup file in AquaMail's own folder in /Android/data or in /Android/media

jacque

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 11:35:14 pm »
Sorry, I don't understand. Why doesn't AquaMail behave like other similar apps:

- Permitting access to "all files" by user

or

- storing the local backup file in AquaMail's own folder in /Android/data or in /Android/media
Chromebooks integrate Drive as part of the OS and treat it as local storage. New restrictions prevent apps from accessing files outside their own sandbox, though there are ways that AM could bypass that. As currently written, it is constrained by newer privacy and storage restrictions implemented in Android 10 (I think; at least, I had no problem on Android 9.)

Apps have automatic access to their own sandbox, but that wouldn't have helped me transfer my setup to different devices. I need access to a public location so I can move AM to a new device.

Martin's suggestion does work, I'm happy to say. If the Drive app is installed, a "Copy From" button is displayed, which isn't shown otherwise. If you tap that button, all files in Drive storage are accessible and the backup installed for me normally.

This is a huge help because I change devices frequently as part of my job. Hopefully a future release will allow us to access all files on the built-in Drive that's integrated into Chrome OS. I have to thank Martin for his helpful and dedicated responses in email. Aqua Mail has a great team.

btmacdou

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 02:39:54 am »
I have the same issue now in June 2022.

Martin's suggestion seems to work in that using the Google Drive app allowed me to select the backup file.  However, when I select it and attempt to use it I get an error suggesting the file is corrupted or that I have the wrong password (see attached screenshot).  I tried backing up and restoring several times but always get the same error.  I tried using different passwords, and no password.

I am running the backup from my Samsung Note 9 phone.  Aqua Mail has been running fine on my phone for several years. 

What should I try next?

btmacdou

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 02:41:47 am »
PS:  My Chromebook is a late model Lenovo that is up to date....

jacque

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 06:34:45 am »
I don't have an answer but thought I'd mention that Android is case sensitive. Be sure the password doesn't have an errant capital letter.

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 10:48:06 am »
The problem is that you're submitting an incorrect password.

Yes, passwords are case-sensitive, that's pretty standard all around at this point.

You should also keep in mind that the password for the backup file is not mandatory. If you didn't set a password when creating the file, leaving the field empty while restoring is what you should do.

Apart from that, you will need to remember what password you set, there is no other way to get it working.

Martin

Martin Kostov - Aqua Mail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 01:34:41 pm »
#Locked