Author Topic: Can't backup to Dropbox  (Read 5548 times)

mkgtu

Re: Can't backup to Dropbox
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 06:40:05 pm »
PROBLEM SOLVED
Every time I tapped "copy to" and the page closed I also got a pop-up at the top of the screen from an app called Clipboard Actions, including the last item that had been copied to the clipboard! So I disabled Clipboard Actions and Notes (developed by "Halfreal") and then the "copy to" in AM works as it should. 

The words "copy to" must have been a trigger for Clipboard Actions.

I have three somewhat redundant clipboard apps on my phone so I think I can get along without this one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

chris122380

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 04:27:02 am »
So very strange. Do you have it set to allow all the permissions for AquaMail? I'm running Oxygen OS 11 which is based off of Android 11 and I don't have the same issue. I'm hoping they are able to find something in the logs for you. What phone are you using?
Samsung Galaxy S10+, Android 11

All the permissions are granted. But note the "storage" permission is for "media", not "all files", which is not a option because I guess AM doesn't request it. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I've also noted in another bug report that there are no longer any options on the Data/Storage page in settings to choose where to store cache and downloads.

You realize that the storage locations for cash and downloads maybe Google Android restrictions and not an aquamail decision. From reading the Android development page (I'm sure it developer could correct me if I'm wrong or give clarification) but as of Android 10 the apps cached data needs to be stored encrypted in the apps specific storage location and that downloads are required to be placed in the downloads folder (The only exception might be the SD card but AquaMail or developer would need to give clarification on that. ). If this is the case that these restrictions have been in place from Google, it would explain why those options have been removed from the Data/Storage section of settings..

mkgtu

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 04:59:12 am »
Maybe. But I have all kinds of apps that download files to locations of my own choosing. Some give me a choice each time, and also ask if I "always" want to use that location. MEGA, a cloud storage app, is one example.
   Another is Handcent's Next sms app. In that I can choose a folder of my own creation to automatically download and store all MMS attachments. Not much difference between a text attachment and an email attachment. In the Next texting app there is a default download location (and not the system Download folder) but in the settings you can change that to any folder you like.
   So I'm sure there's a way to do that on Android 11, or 10.
   I think it may now be true that an app can only store its cache inside the app itself, to keep it secure from malicious apps. But that's a temporary kind of "download".

mkgtu

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 05:38:01 am »
Another case is the Edison email app. There when you save attachments, the system file manager opens to the system Download folder but before you tap "save" you can pick another location. I think Edison remembers your choice  the next time you want to save something and opens the file manager to that location, though you could still change it again.
    On the other hand Outlook gives you no choice. Everything goes to the system Download folder. Blue Mail doesn't let you save attachments. You can open them and then save them somewhere I suppose.
   GMail is a strange case. You can download an attachment, but are given no options. It just goes to the system Download folder, though you have to "guess"  that. Nothing tells you where it went. That's now what happens, I guess, in AquaMail now. But in GMail you can also save it to anywbere you want in Google Drive — of course — kind of like keeping it in the family. But then what would you expect from Google?

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 11:46:28 am »
So very strange. Do you have it set to allow all the permissions for AquaMail? I'm running Oxygen OS 11 which is based off of Android 11 and I don't have the same issue. I'm hoping they are able to find something in the logs for you. What phone are you using?

All the permissions are granted. But note the "storage" permission is for "media", not "all files", which is not a option because I guess AM doesn't request it. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I've also noted in another bug report that there are no longer any options on the Data/Storage page in settings to choose where to store cache and downloads.

You realize that the storage locations for cash and downloads maybe Google Android restrictions and not an aquamail decision. From reading the Android development page (I'm sure it developer could correct me if I'm wrong or give clarification) but as of Android 10 the apps cached data needs to be stored encrypted in the apps specific storage location and that downloads are required to be placed in the downloads folder (The only exception might be the SD card but AquaMail or developer would need to give clarification on that. ). If this is the case that these restrictions have been in place from Google, it would explain why those options have been removed from the Data/Storage section of settings..

Just to confirm - we had to remove several options related to storage - where to save/cache attachments, some of the options in Backup & Restore and so forth due to the Scoped Storage requirement for targeting Android 11. If we don't comply with the requirement we aren't really allowed to publish app updates. Please don't report them as bugs. :)

Maybe. But I have all kinds of apps that download files to locations of my own choosing. Some give me a choice each time, and also ask if I "always" want to use that location. MEGA, a cloud storage app, is one example.
   Another is Handcent's Next sms app. In that I can choose a folder of my own creation to automatically download and store all MMS attachments. Not much difference between a text attachment and an email attachment. In the Next texting app there is a default download location (and not the system Download folder) but in the settings you can change that to any folder you like.
   I think it may now be true that an app can only store its cache inside the app itself, to keep it secure from malicious apps. But that's a temporary kind of "download".

Another case is the Edison email app. There when you save attachments, the system file manager opens to the system Download folder but before you tap "save" you can pick another location. I think Edison remembers your choice  the next time you want to save something and opens the file manager to that location, though you could still change it again.
    On the other hand Outlook gives you no choice. Everything goes to the system Download folder. Blue Mail doesn't let you save attachments. You can open them and then save them somewhere I suppose.
   GMail is a strange case. You can download an attachment, but are given no options. It just goes to the system Download folder, though you have to "guess"  that. Nothing tells you where it went. That's now what happens, I guess, in AquaMail now. But in GMail you can also save it to anywbere you want in Google Drive — of course — kind of like keeping it in the family. But then what would you expect from Google?

This is either because the app does not target Android 11 or because they've been granted an exception by Google. This is intended for apps that cannot perform their main functions without such a permission - file manager apps most of all but maybe anti-virus, maybe cloud storage apps and similar. To my knowledge, mail clients did not get granted this exception, which makes sense - using the system file picker/browser is more than enough to perform attachment saves and the like.

For your comparison between mail apps - none of them can "remember" the location, the system file picker does it. It works the same way in Aqua Mail where your last used directory is opened - be it internal or cloud storage, in the file picker.

Hope this makes sense & I'm glad you figured out the problem - my guess was on LastPass based on that video clip you sent. :)

Martin

mkgtu

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 06:23:58 pm »

Just to confirm - we had to remove several options related to storage - where to save/cache attachments, some of the options in Backup & Restore and so forth due to the Scoped Storage requirement for targeting Android 11. If we don't comply with the requirement we aren't really allowed to publish app updates. Please don't report them as bugs. :)

This is either because the app does not target Android 11 or because they've been granted an exception by Google. This is intended for apps that cannot perform their main functions without such a permission - file manager apps most of all but maybe anti-virus, maybe cloud storage apps and similar. To my knowledge, mail clients did not get granted this exception, which makes sense - using the system file picker/browser is more than enough to perform attachment saves and the like.

For your comparison between mail apps - none of them can "remember" the location, the system file picker does it. It works the same way in Aqua Mail where your last used directory is opened - be it internal or cloud storage, in the file picker.

Hope this makes sense & I'm glad you figured out the problem - my guess was on LastPass based on that video clip you sent. :)

Martin
You indicate for email apps ".. using the system file picker/browser is more than enough to perform attachment saves and the like.". and that it works the same way in AquaMail, that is, file picker remembers the last locstion.
  BUT that isn't totally accurate. Specifically, in this latest version (targeting Android 11), if you want to save the whole email as .eml, the file picker DOES open, and it opens to the last used folder for that action (my own created "saved emails"  subfolder in my own folder "AquaMail Downloads").
    HOWEVER, if you want to save just the attachment, you get no choice whatsoever where to save it.... The file picker DOES NOT open at all. As a matter of fact, if you tap "download all" for attachments, you get no indication of what happens. I suppose the attachments got "downloaded" to the system Download folder, or maybe internally to the app. Doesn't say. At least the other option, "Save to Downloads", is clearer. It would be better if it were "Save to..." and let you pick a spot. Or even a "Share" button, which would let you choose a file manager, "save to device",  a cloud service (Google Drive, Dropbox,  etc), or even an email app, as options.

I fail to see the difference between saving an email and saving its attachments, why you would get the file picker for one but not the other.

I don't know about others, but my system Download folder is a royal mess, cluttered with stuff put there — forced there — by all kinds of apps over the years. It should be called the "Dump-All" or "Graveyard"  folder. And a lot of those files carry very user-unfriendly alphanumeric names. Days, weeks, or months later, I have no idea what some of those files are. I don't dare delete them for fear of losing something I should be keeping (or better, renaming).
   I'd at least like to isolate AquaMail attachments (and emls) in their own dedicated folders, where i can recognize them as such, even if some of their filenames are a bit mysterious weeks later.

And by the way, some of the other apps I mentioned, including Edison Email, are also targeted to, optimized for, Android 11 (Android R)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:28:42 pm by mkgtu »

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 03:31:16 pm »
You indicate for email apps ".. using the system file picker/browser is more than enough to perform attachment saves and the like.". and that it works the same way in AquaMail, that is, file picker remembers the last locstion.
  BUT that isn't totally accurate. Specifically, in this latest version (targeting Android 11), if you want to save the whole email as .eml, the file picker DOES open, and it opens to the last used folder for that action (my own created "saved emails"  subfolder in my own folder "AquaMail Downloads").
    HOWEVER, if you want to save just the attachment, you get no choice whatsoever where to save it.... The file picker DOES NOT open at all. As a matter of fact, if you tap "download all" for attachments, you get no indication of what happens. I suppose the attachments got "downloaded" to the system Download folder, or maybe internally to the app. Doesn't say. At least the other option, "Save to Downloads", is clearer. It would be better if it were "Save to..." and let you pick a spot. Or even a "Share" button, which would let you choose a file manager, "save to device",  a cloud service (Google Drive, Dropbox,  etc), or even an email app, as options.

I fail to see the difference between saving an email and saving its attachments, why you would get the file picker for one but not the other.

I assume you're referring to the "Download all" button in Message View. This isn't saving. This is downloading and caching the attachment in the app's protected storage (hidden from the user). Caching is used so that you don't clutter your phone's storage unless you plan on using the file for more than one viewing. The app's attachment cache is periodically cleaned up.

There is no "Save to..." option and it's instead "Save all to downloads" because this is how we had to do it. There is no option to save multiple files at the same time using the system file picker in Android.

A share option is available for each attachment separately but not all together. Same reason as above.

How these options work also has nothing to do with the system file picker - they are Aqua Mail options - the system file picker isn't used in them.

I don't know about others, but my system Download folder is a royal mess, cluttered with stuff put there — forced there — by all kinds of apps over the years. It should be called the "Dump-All" or "Graveyard"  folder. And a lot of those files carry very user-unfriendly alphanumeric names. Days, weeks, or months later, I have no idea what some of those files are. I don't dare delete them for fear of losing something I should be keeping (or better, renaming).
   I'd at least like to isolate AquaMail attachments (and emls) in their own dedicated folders, where i can recognize them as such, even if some of their filenames are a bit mysterious weeks later.

And by the way, some of the other apps I mentioned, including Edison Email, are also targeted to, optimized for, Android 11 (Android R)

This is part of why caching is a good practice, at least for mail apps. Other than that .. take some time and clean it up? I guess.