Author Topic: Where do contacts come from  (Read 2695 times)

athegn

Where do contacts come from
« on: August 27, 2021, 07:10:24 pm »
I want to delete a contact in Aquamail. I can find the contact by selecting them in write email but cannot see where the contact is stored so that I can delete it.

Any advice please?

chris122380

Re: Where do contacts come from
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 08:06:39 pm »
The contact is either coming from your phone's contacts or the contacts of the email account server that you're using Aqua Mail for.

Justin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:11:29 pm »
Or from the last messages, if enabled in settings.

athegn

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 07:18:10 pm »
Is it possible to tell exactly where Aquamail is getting a contact from. I have one person with two email addresses, one old one new, and I want to delete the old. When I draft an email both addresses appear but I can't see how to drill down to their source.

However I cannot find either in the address books I can examine i.e. Google Contacts, Andriod contacts on phone and tablet and Thunderbird email.

It looks as if the is sync between Google and Thunderbird.

In Aqumail I can't see what server is giving me contacts; where would I find this?

Any advice please?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:20:44 pm by athegn »

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:40:25 pm »
Hi athegn,

So, Aqua Mail can suggest contacts from several different places.

1. E-mail recipients in your account
2. Phone contacts with an e-mail address
3. For accounts running over Microsoft Exchange, the exchange contacts that are stored on the server

You can see where suggestions come from by tapping the icon next to the To field when composing an e-mail. After that just search the e-mail you're interested in to find which category of contacts it comes from. Groups are also part of your phone contacts in that menu - they are contact groups.

If the e-mail address is suggested as part of #1, you can't remove just it, you have to disable suggestions entirely from Settings > Contacts > Recent addresses.

Martin

athegn

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 03:16:47 pm »
I tried what you said but the suggestions do not show where they come from I.e. I canonly use the suggestii s to send an email.

Any more advice please?

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »
Please see the screenshots I've attached.

On the first one, you have to tap this button to open the built-in contact picker.

On the second screenshot you will see the categories of contacts.

Exchange - Your personal contacts from the exchange server.
Contacts - Your contacts from the app on your phone.
Groups - Groups of contacts, also from the phone app.
Recent - Addresses suggested by Aqua Mail, taken from your recent sent e-mails.

Once you figure out which category the e-mail you're interested in belongs to, you can either disable Aqua Mail's suggestions or make changes to the respective contacts list.

Martin

athegn

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 12:06:15 am »
Thank you

phred

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 12:47:08 am »
Similar issue - I've been trying to delete a contact but haven't been able to find where it was coming from. Martin's screenshots helped me find it.

Now the question is: how do I delete it. It's in the 'recent' group. I tried a long-press and nothing. I'd really like to remove it completely as the contact has the same first name as another contact and the 'recent' keeps popping up first.

Thanks.

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 07:59:15 am »
Hi Phred,

You cannot remove any contacts from the 'Recent' group because, as far as I know, this list is generated instantly.

I also had this issue a while ago and yes it is annoying.

The only possibility that this recipient is no longer displayed is to delete the corresponding e-mail (which contains the "wrong" recipient).

Anton Donchev

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 10:05:06 am »
Hi phred,

You cannot delete a single contact from recent, but you can turn recents contacts to be displayed off by going to

Settings -> Contacts -> Recent addresses

This setting is preventing the Recent Contacts to be suggested in the autocomplete To field, but you can still access these by clicking on the icon on the left of the To field in the Recents tab.

Thanks,
Anton.
   AquaMail Developer

phred

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 03:32:26 pm »
The only possibility that this recipient is no longer displayed is to delete the corresponding e-mail (which contains the "wrong" recipient).
Thanks mikeone. I'll take a look around and see if I can find the relevant emails. Which would only be in two of the accounts I have in AM. The 'offending' email address is for a former co-worker and any emails from him can be deleted. If that doesn't work I'll give Anton's suggestion a try, but I'd rather not disable the 'recent contacts' feature.

phred

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 03:34:58 pm »
Settings -> Contacts -> Recent addresses
Thank you Anton. I will hold back on your suggestion until I search for the 'offending' email address as per mikeone's suggestion above. I'm sure your suggestion will resolve the issue, but I'd rather leave that feature enabled and get to the root of the problem by eliminating the email(s) that contain the address in question.