Author Topic: Aliases and their signatures not included in backup?  (Read 2694 times)

MarkMessinger

Aliases and their signatures not included in backup?
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:23 pm »
It looks to me as though aliases and their associated signature blocks are not included in the backup. That is to say, when I recently backed up my settings from an older phone, then restored them on the replacement device, the aliases were not restored. If this is correct, I'd like to get this on the developer's radar, for a future fix.

One of the features that puts AquaMail head and shoulders above many other mail apps is its robust feature set with respect to aliases. This includes the ability to create richly formatted signature lines. Those can be complicated to put together and it's time-consuming to rebuild them, on-screen within AquaMail. It would be great if the backup and restore included those aliases and their override signatures.

Thanks and apologies, in advance, if it turns out I've somehow made an error in my backup or restore, that should have brought those aliases over from the older device.

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
Re: Aliases and their signatures not included in backup?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:11 pm »
Hi Mark,

It already is on our radar. We noticed that if the app's Pro version isn't activated when the backup file is restored, the aliases aren't either.

If Pro is activated first, the aliases should restore, as per the tests we conducted when we found this problem.

Please try this workaround, if you notice additional issues, let us know so we can verify & add for fixing. You can:
1. Have a backup file with everything inside (your initial backup should do just fine)
2. Clear Aqua Mail's app data
3. Open Aqua Mail, make sure the app is activated
4. (optional) Activate Aqua Mail Pro
5. Restore your backup from 1.

Martin

MarkMessinger

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 02:43:47 am »
It already is on our radar. We noticed that if the app's Pro version isn't activated when the backup file is restored, the aliases aren't either.

Thank you for your reply and I regret it took me so long to get back to this.

I confess when I encountered the problem, I immediately set about re-creating my aliases and their really-too-complicated signature blocks. Everything's all nice and set up on my phone, now. And I feel very hesitant to put your workaround to the test at this point. Such is our lives, I suppose, when we rely so much on our phones that we cannot risk unsettling them, even for the good of the developer community on which we rely.

I cannot recall if, when I first encountered this problem, I had already activated my Pro version. I think I would have, but I cannot say with any certainty.

I have a rather lofty goal with respect to email signature blocks: As much as possible, I strive to make sure there are few difference, if any, between the graphics and embedded links that I can achieve with my desktop email application, and those I can get from AquaMail. For the most part, AquaMail delivers on this goal. I'm not willing to look at another mail client for my phone, if it doesn't deal with aliases - and their unique signatures - as well as AquaMail.

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:37:45 pm »
Hi Mark,

Don't worry, it's not needed to re-try the workaround if you've already set up everything. As I said, we already know how to cause it.

For your signatures - a good option to standardize is using HTML code, though I suppose you're probably already aware of that. Almost all desktop clients support HTML signatures and so does Aqua Mail.

Martin