Author Topic: Android email apps privacy test (including AquaMail)  (Read 4841 times)

Justin

Android email apps privacy test (including AquaMail)
« on: March 13, 2021, 11:13:07 am »
Hi, just for your information.

New privacy test of email apps.

Main article (original german language) : https://mobilsicher.de/ratgeber/apps-gecheckt-diese-7-e-mail-apps-lesen-mit

Google translated: https://ioyuomel6ycppgugdk35i2cxqe-adwhj77lcyoafdy-mobilsicher-de.translate.goog/ratgeber/apps-gecheckt-diese-7-e-mail-apps-lesen-mit

Article regarding AquaMail. (original german): https://appcheck.mobilsicher.de/appchecks/aqua-mail-%e2%94%80-e-mail-app

Google translated: https://xhqb7aua3da3jps6wvczoawkve-adwhj77lcyoafdy-appcheck-mobilsicher.translate.goog/appchecks/aqua-mail-%E2%94%80-e-mail-app

My conclusion: Users would appreciate a pro Version of AquaMail without any tracking modules.

arf8

Re: Android email apps privacy test (including AquaMail)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 06:03:28 am »
+1 dump the analytics and tracking all together for pro version.

chris122380

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 07:09:00 am »

It's full of faulty information and is based off the free version not the pro version. I have not been able to reproduce many of these same complaints because I have turned them off in settings (Settings - About - uncheck send usage statistics and uncheck send crash reports). This discussion has been thoroughly discussed in other portions of the forum. Others have also stated not being able to reproduce certain of these claims as well as the developers request for information has also been ignored. If you want to make these claims or complaints you need to be able to give information that will allow the developer and others to reproduce it so that they can fix it. Many of which MobiSystems has already fixed. Some issues as previously stated are restrictions or requirements to be allowed in the Google Play store.

Things to include for the developer (Many of which haven't been included and when asked for by the developer or other users are criticized because well you should just be able to figure it out. Development doesn't work that way and they can't just figure it out if they can't reproduce it):
  • What version of Android?
  • What device (Make and model)?
  • What version of AquaMail?
  • Exact steps used to be able to reproduce the same results as being complained about.
  • Log files
  • Bug report files
  • Screenshot or videos of said issue

Justin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 08:01:33 am »
It's full of faulty information and is based off the free version not the pro version.

Please be aware that there is no real "pro version" of AquaMail. Just a license key. So using the pro version you'll have all "free version" built-in trackers by Adjust, Admost, Facebook and Google:
https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/de/reports/169528/#trackers

This is independent of device or Android version. In the past Mobisystems promised that those modules will not be enabled for pro users. That didn't work properly - see screenshots and logs in other threads.

Or compare to complaints on other forums or reddit. Potential users do not read here in the forum. And if somebody needs recommendations, nowadays AquaMail will not be mentioned anymore.

Other apps provide two apps: One free with ads/tracking, one paid without. This is why I suggest:

My conclusion: Users would appreciate a pro Version of AquaMail without any tracking modules.

AquaMail would get more paid users this way.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:03:59 am by Justin »

chris122380

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 07:52:49 pm »
It's full of faulty information and is based off the free version not the pro version.

Please be aware that there is no real "pro version" of AquaMail. Just a license key. So using the pro version you'll have all "free version" built-in trackers by Adjust, Admost, Facebook and Google:
https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/de/reports/169528/#trackers

This is independent of device or Android version. In the past Mobisystems promised that those modules will not be enabled for pro users. That didn't work properly - see screenshots and logs in other threads.

Or compare to complaints on other forums or reddit. Potential users do not read here in the forum. And if somebody needs recommendations, nowadays AquaMail will not be mentioned anymore.

Other apps provide two apps: One free with ads/tracking, one paid without. This is why I suggest:

AquaMail would get more paid users this way.

I already told you that those screenshots and other forum posts were inconclusive. I couldn't reproduce the so-called DNS requests made by AquaMail. I also don't know of another email application that don't have in app licensing or a second app for licensing. I don't know of ones that have a free app and a Pro app separately like you are supposedly suggesting. I also don't know of an email app in the Play store that doesn't do some kind of tracking or third party tracking. if you know of a better app than AquaMail I'm more than happy to take a look at it.

Justin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:25:48 pm »
[I also don't know of an email app in the Play store that doesn't do some kind of tracking or third party tracking.

Reading the linked article above could help.

arf8

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 03:06:29 am »

It's full of faulty information and is based off the free version not the pro version. I have not been able to reproduce many of these same complaints because I have turned them off in settings (Settings - About - uncheck send usage statistics and uncheck send crash reports). This discussion has been thoroughly discussed in other portions of the forum. Others have also stated not being able to reproduce certain of these claims as well as the developers request for information has also been ignored. If you want to make these claims or complaints you need to be able to give information that will allow the developer and others to reproduce it so that they can fix it. Many of which MobiSystems has already fixed. Some issues as previously stated are restrictions or requirements to be allowed in the Google Play store.

Things to include for the developer (Many of which haven't been included and when asked for by the developer or other users are criticized because well you should just be able to figure it out. Development doesn't work that way and they can't just figure it out if they can't reproduce it):
  • Exact steps used to be able to reproduce the same results as being complained about.
  • Log files
  • Bug report files

Sure sounds like Mobisystem employee, this is the same information they request privately in emails when bugs are reported verbatim. What are the odds  ::)

Every argument made has a hint of mobisystems prior defense in it, so your opinion really doesn't matter much to me.

Facts matter! Sadly they don't support your opinion for that matter. Just because you were not able to produce them when others did it means nothing. How do you know they were not provided logs and information, or you just choose to ignore those details!

As Justin pointed out, Mobisystems made promises in the past and fell short, that is a fact.

The argument for forcing analytics to debug code falls short, I'm not going to debate with a mobisystems employee why, hire more experienced developers and setup beta branches. There is email apps without trackers, k-9 for example, I can go on, but when there is a bias against the truth, there is no point.

???

chris122380

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 05:27:20 am »

• Log files
  • Bug report files

Sure sounds like Mobisystem employee, this is the same information they request privately in emails when bugs are reported verbatim. What are the odds  ::)

Every argument made has a hint of mobisystems prior defense in it, so your opinion really doesn't matter much to me.

Facts matter! Sadly they don't support your opinion for that matter. Just because you were not able to produce them when others did it means nothing. How do you know they were not provided logs and information, or you just choose to ignore those details!

As Justin pointed out, Mobisystems made promises in the past and fell short, that is a fact.

The argument for forcing analytics to debug code falls short, I'm not going to debate with a mobisystems employee why, hire more experienced developers and setup beta branches. There is email apps without trackers, k-9 for example, I can go on, but when there is a bias against the truth, there is no point.

???

I'm not a Mobisystem employee. I'm a AquaMail user like everyone else. I also have emailed the developers about issues but they take time to resolve and lack of information and steps to reproduce it will make it take even longer. You spend more time winning about it then actually giving helping information. This has been explained by multiple forum users who understand Android development better then I do but you even ignore them. I have asked for the necessary information to be able to reproduce what you have said so I can pass it on to AquaMail but even then you ignore a general user and instead accused them of working for the company. Accusations don't help anyone if you don't give the necessary information to be able to reproduce the issue or to be able to help others reproduce said issue. You can complain all you want but your lack of information isn't helping anyone resolve the issue instead it's making it harder and take longer to resolve. instead of being part of the solution you are being part of the problem.

K9 is lacking development and can't even connect with a Gmail server. I'd rather have something that works with a few issue then something that doesn't work at all.

arf8

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 06:11:53 am »

I'm not a Mobisystem employee. I'm a AquaMail user like everyone else. I also have emailed the developers about issues but they take time to resolve and lack of information and steps to reproduce it will make it take even longer. You spend more time winning about it then actually giving helping information. This has been explained by multiple forum users who understand Android development better then I do but you even ignore them. I have asked for the necessary information to be able to reproduce what you have said so I can pass it on to AquaMail but even then you ignore a general user and instead accused them of working for the company. Accusations don't help anyone if you don't give the necessary information to be able to reproduce the issue or to be able to help others reproduce said issue. You can complain all you want but your lack of information isn't helping anyone resolve the issue instead it's making it harder and take longer to resolve. instead of being part of the solution you are being part of the problem.

K9 is lacking development and can't even connect with a Gmail server. I'd rather have something that works with a few issue then something that doesn't work at all.

Wrong again, you clearly didn't read all the information provided, just come here with conjecture with no facts or basis to prove anything but to defend the indefensible.

You are not a developer, you don't understand, you opinion is just that.

As I stated Facts Matter, you can't ignore the facts.

You know very little about K9, so again miss-information by someone who is not informed at all. You can't figure out how to setup gmail on K9, here you are here trying to investigate issues on behalf of a company you don't work for. You sure do like to make a lot of assumptions for a general user. ::)

You need to stop while you are ahead, you are not winning here whining that k9 does not work with gmail or just ignoring the facts blatantly. Just shows how much of an amateur you are.

Again to set the record straight, K9 works just fine with Gmail.

arf8

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 06:44:07 am »
Don't think I mentioned this but Fairemail is another great alternative, open source is key no tracking or analytics nonsense. If you are security conscious Virtru is another to look at but not open source. I use these on other devices along with k-9 for my gmail accounts just fine.

I use AM personally on my daily device, but there is room for improvements and transparency goes a long way as mentioned in prior threads!

This is not a bash AM thread, but if mobisystem employees like chris122380 come here to defend them, they will be met with facts which don't favor some of the promises and shortcomings of the app.

chris122380

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 07:09:35 am »
Don't think I mentioned this but Fairemail is another great alternative, open source is key no tracking or analytics nonsense. If you are security conscious Virtru is another to look at but not open source. I use these on other devices along with k-9 for my gmail accounts just fine.

I use AM personally on my daily device, but there is room for improvements and transparency goes a long way as mentioned in prior threads!

This is not a bash AM thread, but if mobisystem employees like chris122380 come here to defend them, they will be met with facts which don't favor some of the promises and shortcomings of the app.

I AM NOT A MOBISYSTEM EMPLOYE. I never said I was and I'm not one. Please quit implying that I am one..

I do like fairmail and by the way they do have automatic  error reporting which I would consider tracking.

K9s last play store update was September 2018. I prefer something that is updated and maintained. Even when the F-droid version, I get faults complaints that the user name and password are wrong. I don't call that a good email implementation.

I also never said AquaMail didn't have it's short comings but it's still the best implemented and user interface of any email app I have used on Android. I also know how to properly report a bug or issue to the developer. Anytime I have found issues with it I have emailed the developer.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:16:33 am by chris122380 »

Justin

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 09:33:24 am »
K9 is lacking development and can't even connect with a Gmail server.

This is wrong. Just jump to the website of K-9. Last version 5.733 was released 2 days ago.  There are 8 releases in year 2021. Don't limit yourself to the Play Store.
Connecting to Gmail works without problems (when you allowed login in Gmail settings).

Please stays in facts. Back to topic:
I have no doubts about the results of the privacy review mentioned in first post.