Author Topic: Bug: Sharing attachment, no Keyboard pop up  (Read 4278 times)

arf8

Bug: Sharing attachment, no Keyboard pop up
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:11 pm »
This was reported to Kostya over a year ago via email and I know there is some thread out in this forum about it years ago. Right about the time Mobi took over so this fell through the cracks.

To make a formal request, here it is now in the Bugs sub-thread.

When sharing an attachment from an outside source for example picture gallery and selecting Aquamail. The attachment is attached to a new blank email draft, however there is no keyboard and you have to tap the "To" field to enter a recipient.

The keyboard on other email apps like Gmail and K9 to name a few, pop up right away to eliminate the unnecessary need for further interaction to bring up the keyboard

This is a simple fix and a way to improve aquamail. Now you have a formal request!!!

Justin

Re: Bug: Sharing attachment, no Keyboard pop up
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:04:01 pm »
@arf I can't confirm this behavior. Just have tested:

I selected an image in gallery app, shared to AquaMail:
New message with attachment was created, keyboard showed up, additionally a popup for possible resizing.

(Samsung Tablet, Android 10)

arf8

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:53:23 pm »
I've tested this on multiple phones and the behavior is the same as i described.

In fact even Martin from MobiSystems tested this and confirmed the same behavior.

Odd you are not experiencing this, perhaps it behaves on a tablet differently. In any event, it is now reported and up to Mobisystems to fix and resolve since they confirmed it behaves as I described.

Justin

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:05:55 pm »
Tested on my phone. There the keyboard does not show up.

mkgtu

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 11:17:30 pm »
Works for me, for the most part. Samsung Galaxy S10+, Android 11, AquaMail 1.28.1-1760. I use GBoard (the Google keyboard) as my default. I also use Nova Launcher, though I doubt that has any effect.

I selected a photo in the gallery, tapped the share button, and selected AquaMail.
    AquaMail opened with the dialogue box to choose the size of the photo. I selected medium, then tapped OK. And there was the email, with keyboard open, and the cursor in the "to" field, ready to go.

Beyond that, there seemed to be some minor issue with "where" things are shared "from".
- Images from either the Samsung system Gallery or "Simple Gallery", which is my default, worked fine. Keyboard opened automatically in both AM and GMail.
- When I tried "sharing" some documents (pdf,txt) from several file managers, they mostly worked fine and the keyboard opened. The big exception for me was that when sharing files from Solid Explorer (my new favorite) the keyboard consistently opened in GMail but never in AquaMail. The keyboard opened in AquaMail from ES File Explorer, X-Plore, and from the system file manager accessed via the app AOSP Files. I have about six file managers, but I didn't try them all.
   So the source of the file sharing may make a difference, though I can't imagine why it should.
   As a side note, no files would attach at all in GMail if they came from ES File Explorer, but the keyboard opened anyway. They worked fine in AM. That old ES gem is banned from the Google Play Store and must be on Google's shit list as a bad actor. I still like it; I have the Pro version, which I don't think ever had the no-no problem of clicking ads secretly in the background to run up ad income!  But it's been three years without an update, so it's getting long in the tooth, especially on Android 11. Thus my switch to Solid Explorer for most things.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

arf8

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:16:37 am »
Tested on my phone. There the keyboard does not show up.

That is my experience as well.

phred

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 05:09:06 am »
I selected a photo in the gallery, tapped the share button, and selected AquaMail.
AquaMail opened with the dialogue box to choose the size of the photo. I selected medium, then tapped OK. And there was the email, with keyboard open, and the cursor in the "to" field, ready to go.
I did the same thing and the only difference with my experience is that the keyboard doesn't show up until I tap the TO: CC: or BCC: field.

arf8

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 05:43:24 am »
I did the same thing and the only difference with my experience is that the keyboard doesn't show up until I tap the TO: CC: or BCC: field.

Funny you mentioned that because I just upgraded to the latest version of Android and the keyboard doesn't pop up at all even within the app when you just reply forward etc.

I created a new thread and the bugs forum.
The worst part is it works fine with Gmail and other email apps I tested It's just AquaMail. So not sure how quickly they can resolve this but I did send a video to support so they can see what I'm experiencing.

Nedialko Kondev, MobiSystems, AquaMail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 03:52:29 pm »
Hi All,

We're happy and a bit scared to say that there's a fix for this issue. Please install the dev build containing the fix and let us know if it works:
https://www.aqua-mail.com/download/AquaMail-market-1.31.0-1845-develop-b86419485.apk

Note that it's a dev version so please create a backup before installing.

Regards,
Nedialko

Nedialko Kondev, MobiSystems, AquaMail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:37 am »
Hi All,

The new Beta version addresses the pop-up problem. You can find it here:
https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=8219.0

Regards,
Nedialko