Author Topic: 'Save as PDF' added, but can't save to cloud services.  (Read 7075 times)

Wizardling

'Save as PDF' added, but can't save to cloud services.
« on: February 12, 2021, 07:41:59 pm »
Hey, I think it's great that 'Save as PDF' was finally added. But it's actually not useful at all for me (and I imagine most users) since it only allows selection of internal storage to save. I really have no use for saving emails as PDFs to internal storage. That gets me nowhere. I need to be able to save to cloud services like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, WebDAV, etc.
Frog blast the vent core!

Justin

Re: 'Save as PDF' added, but can't save to cloud services.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:59:33 pm »
Hi, just an idea:

Be aware that in the past it was always possible in AquaMail to save messages as pdf. You have to use the share-button, then select "print", then print to PDF. Depending on your device, you are able to choose a file picker (file manager). Maybe there is one that lets you save files to your cloud.

Wizardling

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 08:02:11 pm »
Google Cloud Print no longer works.

Justin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 02:04:06 am »
I still can tap
- print on phone, then save as pdf.
- share > print on tablet

Wizardling

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 02:16:58 am »
Huh, so it's just the 'Save as PDF' button that is not useful. I can print as PDF to save it to a cloud service. Weird, but functional sounding, I guess.

So, I just tried that out before posting this reply. It worked... some of the time. Sometimes I just get the "This printer isn't available right now", even after selecting the Save as PDF option from the menu in the Print dialog. Other times it does bring up a save dialog where I can select Google Drive (but no other cloud service). However, it doesn't use the subject of the email as a name. I have to enter that myself.

So, yeah - Google Drive only, when it wants to work, and I have to name every saved PDF myself :-( I'm sorry - I'm back off to Spark which makes all this a breeze.

chris122380

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 07:41:45 pm »
Huh, so it's just the 'Save as PDF' button that is not useful. I can print as PDF to save it to a cloud service. Weird, but functional sounding, I guess.

So, I just tried that out before posting this reply. It worked... some of the time. Sometimes I just get the "This printer isn't available right now", even after selecting the Save as PDF option from the menu in the Print dialog. Other times it does bring up a save dialog where I can select Google Drive (but no other cloud service). However, it doesn't use the subject of the email as a name. I have to enter that myself.

So, yeah - Google Drive only, when it wants to work, and I have to name every saved PDF myself :-( I'm sorry - I'm back off to Spark which makes all this a breeze.

Every time I do the save as PDF I get the file manager asking where to save the file with the file name as the subject of the email (with the option to change the name). It has never brought up the Google drive or the Android print screen. So either you're doing a share or a print not a save as PDF.

This is a new feature the developer was asking for feedback on. It's going to have issues you can't expect it to just work 100% of the time out of the box for something that is a beta feature. I would also recommend when reporting bugs to the developer that you include the device name and Android version.

I don't use spark for multiple reasons one being security and the other that it is much slower at syncing and managing email then AquaMail is. AquaMail is still the fastest at syncing and notifying me of new emails then any email app I have used on Android.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:45:15 pm by chris122380 »

Wizardling

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 07:43:33 pm »
You've misunderstood what I wrote.

chris122380

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 07:48:04 pm »
You've misunderstood what I wrote.

If you can't clarify the issue and are so quick to run off to another email application then it sounds like you're uninterested in receiving help. I am a user and I'm here to help but I can't help without the necessary information to be able to reproduce it or to be able to assist you.

"Save to PDF" is not the same as "print to PDF" or "Copy/Send/Share/Print" and all have a different purpose.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:51:30 pm by chris122380 »

Wizardling

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 07:54:05 pm »
So either you're doing a share or a print not a save as PDF.
I can print as PDF to save it to a cloud service.

Every time I do the save as PDF I get the file manager asking where to save the file with the file name as the subject of the email (with the option to change the name). It has never brought up the Google drive or the Android print screen. So either you're doing a share or a print not a save as PDF.

Mate, I specifically say I'm talking about Print to PDF in the very text you quoted. And I'm replying to a message suggesting I use Print instead of the direct 'Save as PDF'.

chris122380

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:59:55 pm »
Hey, I think it's great that 'Save as PDF' was finally added. But it's actually not useful at all for me (and I imagine most users) since it only allows selection of internal storage to save. I really have no use for saving emails as PDFs to internal storage. That gets me nowhere. I need to be able to save to cloud services like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, WebDAV, etc.

How complicated is it to save it to a local folder and upload it to whatever cloud service you want it on. It sounds like what you want is a "save as PDF and share to…" option (which are two different things). Which could then use the local phone to share it to wherever. Maybe email the developer to recommend this change.

Wizardling

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 08:06:11 pm »
It is an extra annoying set of steps (locate file, share file to cloud service, select save location in cloud service) that I don't have to take in Spark and other email apps I've used that handle this better. As much as I might like some parts of Aqua Mail (enough to have bought the full version), I far prefer having my workflow streamlined by Spark or other email apps that handle saving as PDF in a better fashion. YMMV if you don't need to do this much in your workday :-)

chris122380

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 08:09:21 pm »
Quote from: chris122380
…It sounds like what you want is a "save as PDF and share to…" option (which are two different things). Which could then use the local phone to share it to wherever. Maybe email the developer to recommend this change.

Wizardling

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:07 pm »
Is there a point to your repeating yourself?

chris122380

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 08:18:01 pm »
Is there a point to your repeating yourself?

You didn't read it but would rather contradict me. The feature was to save as a PDF which is exactly what it does what you're asking for is beyond the original request or description. I have went ahead and emailed the developer to request the feature you were asking for but more people should do so in order to get the feature added.

Wizardling

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 08:20:49 pm »
Irony - thy name is people who don't read and comprehend before replying, and then bizarrely accuse the OP of the same :-D