Author Topic: Version 1.28.0-1752 - Staged rollout for 20% of the users on Google Play  (Read 13866 times)

Radoslav Stoyanov

• AquaMail QA
  • Global Moderator
https://www.aqua-mail.com/download/AquaMail-market-1.28.0-1752-stable-024ff0a46.apk

Hi all,

The update is currently visible from 20% of all devices, randomly picked by Google.

In this version of Aqua Mail we:

+ Designed our own file picker allowing users for quicker and easier way to attach files.
   + Added a Save as PDF functionality according to popular user demand.
   + Fixed a few bugs and improved app performance.

As the File Picker is a new feature, we'd appreciate all feedback that we can receive for it.  :)

В этой версии Aqua Mail мы:

+ Разработали собственный сборщик файлов, позволяющий пользователям быстрее и проще прикреплять файлы.
   + Добавили функцию сохранения в формате PDF в соответствии с популярными запросами пользователей.
   + Исправили несколько ошибок и улучшили производительность приложения.
AquaMail QA Team

Justin

Re: Version 1.28.0-1752 - Staged rollout for 20% of the users on Google Play
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:21:11 am »
Hi, thanks. Feedback for File Picker:

It works. But it's not easier. There is no folder structure.

I usually send documents (e.g. pdf and other) by mail. Now it's a step more, I always have to tap the system file picker.

Is there an option to get the system file picker immediately without need to tap once more?

Radoslav Stoyanov

• AquaMail QA
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 05:40:24 pm »
Hi, thanks. Feedback for File Picker:

It works. But it's not easier. There is no folder structure.

I usually send documents (e.g. pdf and other) by mail. Now it's a step more, I always have to tap the system file picker.

Is there an option to get the system file picker immediately without need to tap once more?

Hey Justin, thanks for the feedback.  :) Yes, there is no folder structure because of the way Android 11 will work with the Scoped Storage functionality that Google began to implement with Android 10. One of the biggest user-facing changes is removing access to the "Android/data" folder, blocking all apps (including file managers) from accessing any data within it. AquaMail will only be able to access the files that the app has created/saved. You can read more about the topic here: https://www.raywenderlich.com/9577211-scoped-storage-in-android-10-getting-started

Best regards,
Radoslav
AquaMail QA Team

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:01:22 pm »
This limitation is awkward for a mail client.  ???

Justin

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 01:22:11 am »
Thanks.
AquaMail will only be able to access the files that the app has created/saved. You can read more about the topic here: https://www.raywenderlich.com/9577211-scoped-storage-in-android-10-getting-started

That is why apps get permission to access the entire internal memory (except Android/data/) upon request to Google. This is true for all file managers, gallery apps etc.

By the way, many file managers meanwhile can bypass the restrictions on /Android/data/ and access it with read and write permission. MiXplorer, Solid Explorer, Total Commander, X-Plore File Manager etc.

If an app cannot access the internal memory, it should leave the file picker to the system. That's the concept.

Ok, you didn't want to do that. So then again my kind request:

Is it possible to include an option that the user can directly use the system file picker? At the moment it is very cumbersome.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:29:44 am by Justin »

Nedialko Kondev, MobiSystems, AquaMail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 02:36:35 pm »
Hi Justin,

Your request is noted and, as always, if we get enough users requesting the same, we look into providing a solution.

Some file explorer apps can still access everything, but this is only a temporary solution. Once these apps start preparing for Android 11, this temporary storage permission will no longer be available. At least that's what the documentation says:
https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/use-cases#opt-out-scoped-storage

You can check the explanation on Special App Access, available in the Android Developers channel about file manager apps:
https://youtu.be/UnJ3amzJM94?t=1259

In Google’s own words it’s something that will be enforced, so it will become mandatory (Scoped storage enforcement):
"Apps that run on Android 11 but target Android 10 (API level 29) can still request the requestLegacyExternalStorage attribute. This flag allows apps to temporarily opt out of the changes associated with scoped storage, such as granting access to different directories and different types of media files. After you update your app to target Android 11, the system ignores the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag."
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/11/privacy/storage#scoped-storage

This is a limitation that Google have decided to impose. In addition to that file manager apps will probably have to go through some process (I imagine a very easy one) of being approved by Google in order to gain full access to the storage. Note that this is simply subject to my own speculation for now.

By the way, there are literally hundreds of requests in Android’s issue tracker. Most requests asking for a more adequate behavior towards accessing the storage are closed as “Won’t Fix (Intended behavior)”:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131947381

“Request: don't kill storage permission and File API and don't harm file manager apps in any way”:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/129629193

“User should be able to choose any of these paths”:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/160577049

“Scoped storage should add "Documents”:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/128646855

And something I just noticed… Clipboard access is also going to be limited:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/01/26/here-are-11-features-that-need-to-be-in-android-11/

Thanks for staying vigilant and sharing your thoughts!

Justin

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 02:52:13 pm »
Thank you. Of course I don't expect AquaMail to behave like a file manager.

But I need the folder structure and I don't think I'm the only one who needs it. You wanted it to make it easier, that fits e.g. to WhatsApp. Users of WhatsApp just send the last used pic or last used other file.

E-Mail is different, attachments are often in subfolders or in a cloud storage. This is a job for system file picker or a file manager. One tap less - as an option - for every attachment would be helpful .

phred

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 09:18:35 pm »
E-Mail is different, attachments are often in subfolders or in a cloud storage. This is a job for system file picker or a file manager. One tap less - as an option - for every attachment would be helpful .
+1

Fabrizio

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 01:52:26 pm »
Thank you. Of course I don't expect AquaMail to behave like a file manager.

But I need the folder structure and I don't think I'm the only one who needs it. You wanted it to make it easier, that fits e.g. to WhatsApp. Users of WhatsApp just send the last used pic or last used other file.

Totally agree!

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 06:53:13 pm »
If it's clear that Google started with Android 10 to remove or at least severely restrict access to the file system for third party apps (including file managers), then I don't understand why MobiSystems is trying to develop its own file picker right now,  instead of investing their limited resources in more useful features.

Fabrizio

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 09:44:07 pm »
If it's clear that Google started with Android 10 to remove or at least severely restrict access to the file system for third party apps (including file managers), then I don't understand why MobiSystems is trying to develop its own file picker right now,  instead of investing their limited resources in more useful features.

I think to sell us their file manager... ;) ;) ;) and I hope that I'm wrong

arf8

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 03:34:42 am »
File picker is unnecessary and useless as it adds more steps compared to what was working prior. Remove it or give users the option to disable it.

Downgraded back to older version!

Fabrizio

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:42 pm »
Radoslav

File picker is totally useless, you added more steps to attach a file. Please remove it. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:08:45 pm by Fabrizio »

chris122380

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 11:09:52 pm »
Radoslav

File picker is totally useless, you added more steps to attach a file. Please remove it. Thanks

I disagree. I think it makes it much easier in picking the recently created document or file. However, I do agree that there should be an option to disable it for those who like the old method.

Justin

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:04 am »
I disagree. I think it makes it much easier in picking the recently created document or file.

Usually system file picker show recently used files, too. There is no advantage with AquaMail's file picker.