Author Topic: Apple email failure (again!)  (Read 2993 times)

bkerley

Apple email failure (again!)
« on: December 17, 2020, 04:29:37 pm »
Once again for no good reason, at about 1830 local on Dec 15 (that would be 2330 GMT), Aquamail failed to connect to apple's incoming mail server.  (we had this issue in 2013 when apple changed a protocol requiring just the login name, and not login@mac.com).  The problem persisted and yesterday I deleted the Mac mail account on Aquamail and re-added it with a new app-specific password.  No luck.  Aquamail was updated overnight, so I tried again this morning, same issue.  Incoming Mail server (IMAP): Error connecting. Failed to connect to mail.mac.com.  I tried using just username and also username@mac.com as the login, and I tried with SSL and STARTTLS.  No luck.  Ideas?  Other users having this issue?  The only change from my end was the addition of an Apple TV to my home network.  Coincidence?

bkerley

Re: Apple email failure (again!)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:31:48 pm »
..by the way, Galaxy S10, Android version 10.

pilworks

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:44:14 pm »
same issue here, this is killing me as i cannot get my email from my phone.

bkerley

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:12:06 pm »
solved the problem by myself.  Deleted the account from Aquamail, re-added it using the email address kerley@me.com instead of kerley@mac.com.  Connected right away.  Something obviously happened at Apple's end at 2335 on Tuesday, when yourname@mac.com became unacceptable as an email address.  Interestingly, I can still receive emails sent to kerley@mac.com, they do come through on the server.  Just can't use that email address when adding the account.  (if that failed I was going to try kerley@icloud.com).

This is what I get for being a long time Mac user, back in the days of .Mac email addresses!

krishaun27

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 07:56:34 pm »
Looks like Apple no longer accepts the older .mac server settings. Have to manually type imap.mail.me.com for incoming and smpt.mail.me.com for outgoing. Sorry this forum will not post the link to Apple's support page for this.

mikeone

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 08:06:02 pm »
You need to post some comments here in the forum to be able to post links  😉

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304