Author Topic: deleting a message doesn't work properly with a non-synced deleted folder  (Read 4066 times)

bernie

My system is set up with Trash set to "Do not sync".   And I just realized that there's a slight anomaly there: the actual *folder* is "Deleted" but in the "Manage Folders" list it appears as "Trash".    I used to have it set for "Sync with Deleted folder" but I didn't want it to "sync" with anywhere: I just wanted a deleted message to get moved to the Deleted folder [locally].   

Anyhow what I've discovered is that with these settings deleted messages aren't deleted at all -- they're not in my inbox and they, properly, appear to have been moved to Deleted.  BUT: they're still in the IMAP inbox, and so when I check the mail from my PC all the deleted messages reappear.   Shouldn't messages moved out of the Inbox folder be moved out of the IMAP Inbox?   and since I have have "do not sync" set up I'd assume that the messages would just be deleted from the scrver when I delete them from my Inbox.

AZgl1800

Re: deleting a message doesn't work properly with a non-synced deleted folder
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 04:11:13 pm »
I just recently came upon this also.

mark the folder as "plain folder" and set to not delete.

then again, mark the folder as Delete and it should sync up with the server.

I was having issues with 'Trash' folder until I did this

Tollie

There is a general aquamail option "Purge local (in app) Deleted folders when exiting with back".

With this option, when you delete e-mails it will move them in aquamail to the local deleted folder (and leave them in IMAP inbox) but when you exit aquamail, it will (should) purge the deleted folder and thus remove them from IMAP inbox.

This works for me, however, if you are using PUSH e-mail it doesn't remove them on exit so they stay in IMAP inbox until you click the deleted folder and select 'delete all' (I think this is a bug and will probably get around to reporting it!)

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
My system is set up with Trash set to "Do not sync".   And I just realized that there's a slight anomaly there: the actual *folder* is "Deleted" but in the "Manage Folders" list it appears as "Trash".    I used to have it set for "Sync with Deleted folder" but I didn't want it to "sync" with anywhere: I just wanted a deleted message to get moved to the Deleted folder [locally].   

Anyhow what I've discovered is that with these settings deleted messages aren't deleted at all -- they're not in my inbox and they, properly, appear to have been moved to Deleted.  BUT: they're still in the IMAP inbox, and so when I check the mail from my PC all the deleted messages reappear.   Shouldn't messages moved out of the Inbox folder be moved out of the IMAP Inbox?   and since I have have "do not sync" set up I'd assume that the messages would just be deleted from the scrver when I delete them from my Inbox.

If your Deleted folder is not synchronized with the server, the app will only perform the operation locally. Meaning you'll see the e-mails in the same folder on the server until they get permanently deleted, similar to how it works for POP3 (for POP3 as there are no folders at all, the app simulates folders locally).

The name Trash / Deleted / Deleted items depends on mail server. Our app labels the folder as Deleted. When you view the folder list from Settings > Manage accounts > your e-mail > Folders you're viewing the folders as provided by the server, so the names are different sometimes.

I just recently came upon this also.

mark the folder as "plain folder" and set to not delete.

then again, mark the folder as Delete and it should sync up with the server.

I was having issues with 'Trash' folder until I did this

The issue you likely had was that the server folder structure was updated and Aqua Mail was no longer able to "find" the proper Deleted folder. In this case mail returns to the Inbox after you delete it. By toggling on/off the sync, it is fixed. The exact step with setting it as "plain folder" isn't mandatory, you can set anything, then set "Sync with Deleted folder" again. It's a common problem, unfortunately, that we have a help guide for here.

There is a general aquamail option "Purge local (in app) Deleted folders when exiting with back".

With this option, when you delete e-mails it will move them in aquamail to the local deleted folder (and leave them in IMAP inbox) but when you exit aquamail, it will (should) purge the deleted folder and thus remove them from IMAP inbox.

This works for me, however, if you are using PUSH e-mail it doesn't remove them on exit so they stay in IMAP inbox until you click the deleted folder and select 'delete all' (I think this is a bug and will probably get around to reporting it!)

I just tested this but I'm not having the same result. If my Deleted folder is set to "Do not sync" on an IMAP account, essentially making it local only, the messages are still removed from the folder (&server) upon exiting with "Back". Push Mail does not change the behavior.

Can you please demonstrate the behavior you see with a short video at support@aqua-mail.com so we can have a look?

Martin

Tollie

I just tested this but I'm not having the same result. If my Deleted folder is set to "Do not sync" on an IMAP account, essentially making it local only, the messages are still removed from the folder (&server) upon exiting with "Back". Push Mail does not change the behavior.

Can you please demonstrate the behavior you see with a short video at support@aqua-mail.com so we can have a look?

Martin
Sorry for delay, I was busy and the problem isn't urgent as I just need to remember to action delete before exiting on one of my devices.
I did some further tests and you're right, the auto delete doesn't seem to depend on "push e-mail". I was sure it was working before and the only thing I changed was push when it didn't appear to work.
Now, it doesn't auto purge even if I disable the push function.
I did another test and removed aquamail from the device where it wasn't working, re-installed and then restored from a full backup of accounts and aquamail settings from my other device ... auto purge still doesn't work :(
Only other thing I can think is the phone was also updated  (Android 12).
I will try to find time to take a video and provide more info to the support e-mail address ... will do soon(ish) - thanks.

Tollie

So I did more testing and am convinced my problem of deleted mails not being purged with back button is related to Android 12 as it works on all previous versions.
I saw this post /forum/index.php?topic=8367.0 which seems to explain the issue with the back button.