Author Topic: Aqua Mail is spying on us.  (Read 22648 times)

arf8

Re: Aqua Mail is spying on us.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 08:16:11 pm »
So you write sloppy code and rely on tracking/spying to resolve the ineptitude of your developers? Ok good to know. So Mobisystems hires nothing but the best.

Let's get something clear, you had every chance to at minimum disable this and your team did not.
To make matters worse your update automatically checked off the send crash reports box. I kept wondering why is this blasted app creating logs, now I know.

I guess the thousands of other apps on the store must have better developers who don't write code filled with bugs or perhaps use other debug tools like you are supposed to do to resolve issues. What an idea huh!

It looks like you got caught lying, and now your defense is we use it for debugging? Transparency is doing what you said you would 5 months ago, not blaming users who bring up your lack of transparency and honesty to do the right thing!

Ok, this is clear, You admitted that Aqua Mail lied to us -  https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=7884.msg44388#msg44388

Philip

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »
I have just checked, and Send Crash Reports (which I definitely had unchecked in Setting) has somehow become checked again. This is dishonest behaviour on MobiSystems' part.

I unchecked it and then restarted AquaMail, and my Blokada logs immediately showed an attempted connection to firebase-settings.crashlytics.com. This, again, is simply dishonest behaviour.

I used to recommend AquaMail to people as the best email client when the question was asked on various internet forums, on reddit, and when asked by friends. From now on, I fear that I will have no option other than to strongly recommend that people avoid it.

arf8

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 09:09:42 pm »
I have just checked, and Send Crash Reports (which I definitely had unchecked in Setting) has somehow become checked again. This is dishonest behaviour on MobiSystems' part.

I unchecked it and then restarted AquaMail, and my Blokada logs immediately showed an attempted connection to firebase-settings.crashlytics.com. This, again, is simply dishonest behaviour.

I used to recommend AquaMail to people as the best email client when the question was asked on various internet forums, on reddit, and when asked by friends. From now on, I fear that I will have no option other than to strongly recommend that people avoid it.

this is exactly what I saw and reported above. This is just pure dishonesty and the simple solution is fix the issues they introduced in 1.25 and beyond.

The lack of candor and arrogance on their part is downright shameful. I will not recommend this app to anyone until it is resolved.

ksuuk

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 01:36:03 pm »

The lack of candor and arrogance on their part is downright shameful. I will not recommend this app to anyone until it is resolved.

BTW, some have recompiled latest version and removed a lot of crap:

Optimized graphics and cleaned package resources for fast load and small size;
Cleaned trackers [adcolony, adjust, aerserv, amazon adv, applovin, chartboost, crashLytics, flurry, inmobi, integral, firebase, doubleclick, facebook, mopub, moat, tag, millennial, unity, myTarget, etc];
Disabled / Removed unwanted Permissions + Receivers and Services;
Analytics / Crashlytics disabled;
AOSP Compatible.

So it's doable, but as we all know for now, Aqua Mail won't do it, and as the amount of crap is very spooky, seems we, pro users must spread the word and start using recompiled and cleaned versions.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 01:39:46 pm by ksuuk »

Mukossan

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 01:45:21 pm »

Cleaned trackers [adcolony, adjust, aerserv, amazon adv, applovin, chartboost, crashLytics, flurry, inmobi, integral, firebase, doubleclick, facebook, mopub, moat, tag, millennial, unity, myTarget, etc];
AOSP Compatible.

So it's doable, but as we all know for now, Aqua Mail won't do it, and as the amount of crap is very spooky, seems we, pro users must spread the word and start using recompiled and cleaned versions.
Link and more information please

arf8

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 07:29:16 pm »
No app is safe from being reverse engineered and this should serve as a warning to AM if they refuse to make the corrections someone else will. That said there is legal issues but it looks like that site is not within CONUS, assume Russia.

I may be in the minority but I would not load that on my primary phone unless they publish the source as well to verify. As I offered I can decompile it myself and make the same changes but that requires time. If you guys decide to use that source keep an eye out on it. The user can be reputable and nothing to worry about but air on the side of caution for sure.

Hey AM, fix this issue and remove the trackers, as you can see it is not difficult!!!

ksuuk

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 07:54:11 pm »

Hey AM, fix this issue and remove the trackers, as you can see it is not difficult!!!

Well, they don't. So so all we can do is spread the word and warn people.

Read also - https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=7610.0

arf8

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 08:10:43 pm »
It's pretty pathetic when you have no idea what you have in your own app.

Nor does it explain why the app automatically checks off boxes the user unchecks and why you have to go through a song and dance to remove tracking/spying.

They got caught with their pants down. There's traceability from other threads to remove these trackers and they fail to do so!

Fabrizio

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 12:29:57 pm »
My personal opinion.  I find it strange to think of installing an application to write and read emails that we use every day, not trusting the official developer who developed it but trusting a person who modified it.  I am not able to understand if there can be malicious codes in an app as I am not a developer but I think it is more reliable to install the official application than a modified one. Personally I'm not using Aqua for about a year and half, more for mobisystem commercial policy than for trackers.  Because if they do as they did with office suite in a while we will find suggestions to switch to some other version of Aqua for more functions or they will eliminate some functions already present to force us to pay more money. I remember very well when they removed the font package to office suite and suggest me to buy them...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 12:46:18 pm by Fabrizio »

nadir husain

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2020, 01:38:45 pm »
Can u share what app u are using now?  You can send me a private message if u wish. Thanks

Fabrizio

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 02:34:10 pm »
I'm using Nine folder that for office 365 account is more useful than Aqua. Sometime I try again Aqua but Nine is really better. Search on phone and server without sync the archive folder it's great for me. Save and read email as EML and MSG. You can print email as PDF. Different signatures for accounts. Push sync for IMAP and exchange. Conversation view. The developer is really fast to reply to you if you have issue with his app. Sync for tasks, calendar and address book for exchange. Really satisfied of it.

nadir husain

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 02:36:26 pm »
Thanks

Fabrizio

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 07:13:21 pm »

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 09:55:16 pm »
Congrats everyone, well this has really hit rock bottom! Just spreading unofficial and illegal versions of AM on this forum and instructions for decompiling it. SHAME!!!

Well, writing code generates errors, this is absolutely normal. There is no perfect code in the world.

We are working on finding a better solution soon, but all of you that support spreading illegal versions of AM have now lost all of my respect.

You really have underestimated how the team values the opinion of the people here and much of the development has been largely influenced by the discussions here.

I think a line has been crossed here. Sorry but maybe this will be the first time I will have to delete some comments here because this apk is unverified and might be dangerous as somebody mentioned. Also posting links for decompiling the app is absolutely not acceptable!!!

Maybe some of you haven't noticed but we have left all topics on the forum, no matter if they don't sound very well for some issues that we have over time. This forum has been kept out of censorship from the AM team although it might be better as a "sinister dictator", as some call us, to just delete the uncomfortable white pants that you have discovered that we wear. We have nothing to hide here. If we had any sinister thoughts no such topics would be let to exist here in the first place, so back off with the dramatic statements, please, and think logically!

Please keep it a little bit more professional and let's keep it friendly. The checks and unchecks that happen are not supposed to happen. So please send a screenshot and log and we will fix it! On the Crashlytics issue, we are looking into a way to keep them and fix the issue, fix will be delivered.

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2020, 09:58:57 pm »

AOSP Compatible.

FYI you must have overslept the past few updates where we have officially removed most of these trackers:
https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/147534/

Stop spreading fake news and accusations and double check your info.